+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law application with Prenuptial agreement

Benlie

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Hi everyone, i am doing my application right now but my partner want me to sign this agreement before i submit as family request. This agreement basically mention that in the event of separate, we can keep our own assests, divide equally and neither of us will be responsible for spousal support to the other. Will this agreement be opposite to the undertakings which my partner need to sign to make sure he support me financially? Sorry it's bit complicated but i need evryone help , thank you so much

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The sponsor will still be financially responsible for three years after the day that you become a PR.

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Benlie said:
Hi everyone, i am doing my application right now but my partner want me to sign this agreement before i submit as family request. This agreement basically mention that in the event of separate, we can keep our own assests, divide equally and neither of us will be responsible for spousal support to the other. Will this agreement be opposite to the undertakings which my partner need to sign to make sure he support me financially? Sorry it's bit complicated but i need evryone help , thank you so much
The sponsor is responsible to the financial well being of the applicant for 3 years regardless of whatever you and your partner's agreed on , however you need to check the laws of the province you will living in , In Ontario living common-law doesn't give partners the right to the other partner's assets.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Benlie said:
The prenup has absolutely no impact on anything to do with the PR app. As mentioned, the undertaking can be enforced for 3 years after you become a PR, no matter what other documents you and your partner may sign.

Also the rule that 1 year of cohabitation makes you common-law, is only for immigration and tax purposes. In most provinces the real rule around becoming legally common-law and having any sort of spousal rights (like spousal support) similar to a married couple, is 3 years of cohabitation. So check your provincial rules around common-law. If it's 3 years, then there is really no point in signing a prenup after just 1 year of cohabitation.

What is often beneficial for people living together (no matter if common-law or not) is to have an agreement simply stating what % of the shared assets was brought into the relationship by each person, and how shared assets would be divided upon a separation.

Benlie

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
I live in vancouver BC so i am sure what the rule of this province is ? So basically i just tell my partner change the agreement to " he will be resposnisble for me for 3 years on the day on which i get my pr"? Or doesn't matter i just go ahead and sign this agreement? Thanks so much for helping

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Benlie said:
I live in vancouver BC so i am sure what the rule of this province is ? So basically i just tell my partner change the agreement to " he will be resposnisble for me for 3 years on the day on which i get my pr"? Or doesn't matter i just go ahead and sign this agreement? Thanks so much for helping
It doesn't matter, but it would make more sense if it was worded to allow for the 3 year commitment. Such as, any assets acquired after the 3 year sponsorship commitment is completed are his/her own, or something along those lines. You do not need to say anything to CIC about your private agreement. But I kind of wonder why he/she is trying to get you to sign this, does your sponsor think they will get around this somehow?

In BC common-law is recognised after 2 years. At that point you have the same rights and responsibilities as a married couple.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he bothers to read the information on his forms (sponsor's portion of the application package) he will see that he will be responsible for 3 years.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Benlie said:
Read this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/common-law-couples-as-good-as-married-in-b-c-1.1413551

You and your partner doesn't need to put anything anywhere about the 3 year commitment. This is a rule enforced by CIC and will be there no matter what you and your partner put anywhere else.

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
I think that if CIC hears about this they will examine this relationship very closely.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, do not include a copy of the prenup in the application, and don't mention it.