+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coming to Canada as a PR/Bringing money - time or amount limit?

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Dear

Thanks for the information.

I wish to know that canada taxes its residents on their world income, but if person has earned income in canada and native country ie india -- then why does canada tax the person on world income, since that individual has already paid tax in their native country ie india

Wouldnt this be double taxation by Canada ?

Thanks

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
sarimraza said:
Dear

Thanks for the information.

I wish to know that canada taxes its residents on their world income, but if person has earned income in canada and native country ie india -- then why does canada tax the person on world income, since that individual has already paid tax in their native country ie india

Wouldnt this be double taxation by Canada ?

Thanks
You're given a tax credit for the amount you've already paid in your home country and then this is taken into account when you Canadian tax is calculated.

smureham

Jan 1, 2017
Dear all,

I have my PR landing next week. I studied in Canada and worked for a year and am now getting my PR (i have already been a resident for 5 years and paid tax aswell from my job). When I do my PR landing, what is the best way for me to declare my assets back home (these are not declared yet). I have shares in private company over 1.5 million USD and real estate of over 1 million USD given to me by my parents.
From what I read and hear is that if i declare these assets in my landing, then at some point in future if i want to sell my shares and real estate and move large amount of funds to Canada, I am not taxed and there are no questions asked as I have already declared them. I would appreciate a response.

Thank you very much.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
smureham said:
Dear all,

I have my PR landing next week. I studied in Canada and worked for a year and am now getting my PR (i have already been a resident for 5 years and paid tax aswell from my job). When I do my PR landing, what is the best way for me to declare my assets back home (these are not declared yet). I have shares in private company over 1.5 million USD and real estate of over 1 million USD given to me by my parents.
From what I read and hear is that if i declare these assets in my landing, then at some point in future if i want to sell my shares and real estate and move large amount of funds to Canada, I am not taxed and there are no questions asked as I have already declared them. I would appreciate a response.

Thank you very much.
Unfortunately, your shares and assets have nothing to do with landing as a PR. You don't need to declare these to customs.
As Canada operates global taxation you'll be taxed on any capital gain on the shares and property. What does happen is the day you become PR you are deemed to have sold and bought back your property and shares on that day. My advice is get a valuation of the shares on that day and a property valuation.

You need to declare ownership of these on your tax return.

Speak to a tax accountant though but in my understanding you can't just declare them and then they are tax free.

hina_fastian

Jul 24, 2017
Hi,

We are planning to move to Canada and not sure if the funds we have here in our accounts would be taxed or not. Also, we don't plan to bring in all the money right now and transfer them with time. Would the money that comes in later be taxed? How does the govt. decide what amount is non-taxable for new immigrants? Please assist

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

We are planning to move to Canada and not sure if the funds we have here in our accounts would be taxed or not. Also, we don't plan to bring in all the money right now and transfer them with time. Would the money that comes in later be taxed? How does the govt. decide what amount is non-taxable for new immigrants? Please assist
Hi

You are not taxed on money you already have. You are free to transfer your money whenever you want.

You do need to declare and pay tax on any income earned outside of Canada, such as interest.

hina_fastian

Jul 24, 2017
Hi

You are not taxed on money you already have. You are free to transfer your money whenever you want.

You do need to declare and pay tax on any income earned outside of Canada, such as interest.
Thanks for a quick reply. When you say 'Money you already have' how is the govt tracking it? The statements we submitted with our Express Entry application? Coz other than that we didn't declare funds any where.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for a quick reply. When you say 'Money you already have' how is the govt tracking it? The statements we submitted with our Express Entry application? Coz other than that we didn't declare funds any where.
They don't track it. The Canadian tax system is based on self-declaration.

SmartSA

Sep 3, 2018
I have a follow up question - what happened to stocks that have vested and you have paid tax on it - in my current country we are charged at the time of vesting and not on the gain when you sell the shares. Now if I move to Canada as a PR - how will I be taxed?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a follow up question - what happened to stocks that have vested and you have paid tax on it - in my current country we are charged at the time of vesting and not on the gain when you sell the shares. Now if I move to Canada as a PR - how will I be taxed?
You send a Canadian tax return when you sell the share. You will be taxed according to your income level and which province you live.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you are taxed on capital gains you declare. Declare any losses as well that you can carry over to following years.

manbrar

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
hello dear i need help here my husband lading PR canada this weekend can he bring some cash with him around canadian 5000 dollar do he need to mention somewhere that he is bringing that much cash . when he is gonna fill form in the plane there is options that we need to mention value of our stuff do we need to mention there? plz advise can he do that or no thnku in advance

manbrar

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
hello dear i need help here my husband lading PR canada this weekend can he bring some cash with him around canadian 5000 dollar do he need to mention somewhere that he is bringing that much cash . when he is gonna fill form in the plane there is options that we need to mention value of our stuff do we need to mention there? plz advise can he do that or no thnku in advance

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no form in the plane. Just tell him to use and follow all the instruction in the kiosk at arrival hall of the airport. He can bring any amount of cash.

manbrar

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
There is no form in the plane. Just tell him to use and follow all the instruction in the kiosk at arrival hall of the airport. He can bring any amount of cash.
thnku fr ur rply dear ... what whenever i come from india i get little form in the plane to fill that my passport information what i m bringing what valuation fr that stuff but thanku i will let him know he can bring cash with him