+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

College courses

BeaHon

Jun 16, 2021
My husband is canadian and we are going to join him in Nova Scotia. My daughter is 21 in July - she's looking to do a diploma Photography course and we are in the beginning of the immigration application. I could be wrong but.....we were told that you can do any course or apprenticeship for free until you are 30. I have just had information from the NSCC on said course with costs of well over $11,000. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction, very confused! Many Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband is canadian and we are going to join him in Nova Scotia. My daughter is 21 in July - she's looking to do a diploma Photography course and we are in the beginning of the immigration application. I could be wrong but.....we were told that you can do any course or apprenticeship for free until you are 30. I have just had information from the NSCC on said course with costs of well over $11,000. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction, very confused! Many Thanks.
There's no such rule regarding free education until you are 30.

For now she will most likely have to pay international student fees and would also need a study permit if the program is longer than six months. Once she is a PR she will qualify for the lower domestic fees and no study permit will be required.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It's not very clear in your post. Is your daughter Canadian as well? If not, will you start application to sponsor you and her soon. Since dependent age is under 22 (so she has less than a year to be sponsored).

I've never heard of any free courses under 30 years old.... At least not in my province. It may be different in NS. But if she is not yet Canadian or PR, the chance of taking free diploma courses is pretty low.

BeaHon

Jun 16, 2021
It's not very clear in your post. Is your daughter Canadian as well? If not, will you start application to sponsor you and her soon. Since dependent age is under 22 (so she has less than a year to be sponsored).

I've never heard of any free courses under 30 years old.... At least not in my province. It may be different in NS. But if she is not yet Canadian or PR, the chance of taking free diploma courses is pretty low.
Thank you, I am starting to realise that I have been told some porky pies!

We have been married 2 years, my husband is the sponsor and canadian and my daughter and I are British.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, I am starting to realise that I have been told some porky pies!

We have been married 2 years, my husband is the sponsor and canadian and my daughter and I are British.
Yeah - not sure why someone told you it was free. That's definitely not the case.

You're going to have to pay if your daughter wants to attend college (or university). The fees will be higher before your daughter is a PR since she will be classified as an international student. The fees will be lower once she is a PR and is classified as a domestic student. But she will still have to pay tuition regardless.

BeaHon

Jun 16, 2021
Yeah - not sure why someone told you it was free. That's definitely not the case.

You're going to have to pay if your daughter wants to attend college (or university). The fees will be higher before your daughter is a PR since she will be classified as an international student. The fees will be lower once she is a PR and is classified as a domestic student. But she will still have to pay tuition regardless.
Thanks, not going to do anything until we are PR and settled so that was very informative thank you.