+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Collecting evidence of a 7 year marriage?

etoile

Star Member
Aug 22, 2010
Switzerland-Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
We've been married for 7 years and have three kids. Neither one of us are particularly sentimental. We have a some photos and have taken family trips, and well just been living our lives. What do they want as proof of our ongoing relationship? It feels a little ridiculous at this point. lol Someone point me in the right direction, please?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Anything you have that shows you have been living together as a family will be good. Because you have been living together for 7 years and have 3 kids, the visa officer will not need as much proof as he/she would if you had just gotten married and had never lived together.
Anything financial with both your names on it would be good: joint bank accounts, a mortgage or lease in both names, house title, car registration, etc.
Anything with just one name on it, but with the same address.
Your kids' birth certificates.
Photos of the whole family over the years would be great.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
etoile said:
We've been married for 7 years and have three kids. Neither one of us are particularly sentimental. We have a some photos and have taken family trips, and well just been living our lives. What do they want as proof of our ongoing relationship? It feels a little ridiculous at this point. lol Someone point me in the right direction, please?
We had the same problem - married almost 12 years... we have photos but neither one of us is a "keeper" of mementos. We have a 10 year old and have lived together in the US with no gaps - what more do they want????

I sent a copy of every tax return we filed together in the 12 years of marriage. I sent photos of us over the years. I sent copies of life insurance with each of us as beneficiary of the policy, health enrollment forms from over the years showing that I have enrolled him in my health plan at work. I sent copies of phone/utility bills with our joint names, or if not joint, then with his name on it and our mutual address and my name on it and our mutual address, with similar dates so they could see that bills were in our names at the same address. Bank statements showing us on bank accounts. I was able to come up with items showing us as living together and our lives intertwined for every year we have been together. My suspicion is that the longer you live together without interruption, the more it appears genuine.

I also had friends and family write that they are aware of our relationship and that is genuine.

Smurf

Jul 10, 2010
We sent the following:

1. Photocopy of marriage cert (with translations to English)
2. Photocopy of birth cert of children (with translations to English)
3. Photocopy of photographs of wedding
4. Photocopy of photographs of family on holiday / trips

;D

etoile

Star Member
Aug 22, 2010
Switzerland-Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you for all your suggestions. We've talked and I think we can come up with some pretty official records, actually.

So, these are the obvious documents that we'll include:

-marriage certificate
-birth certificates for all three children
-tax returns for the last 7 years
-bank account information (this is substantial, since Swiss people collect bank accounts as if it were a hobby. lol)

In addition we have these options of official government documentation:

-our community registration for each of the three communities we've lived in (Here in Switzerland you must officially register in the community you live in, so this shows we've lived and moved together three times. It provides official proof of cohabitation, I suppose)
-our "Familenbuchlein" or Family Book. Here in Switzerland this is more important than birth certificates. It has all of the information (places of birth, dates of birth) for every member of our family. It's a federal document.

We also have some old e-tickets for the whole family (maybe 2 or trips with all our of names listed together as travelling).

Is this sufficient? Are we still obliged to provide photographic evidence? It sounds strange, but sending personal photographs feels very invasive. I guess living here in Switzerland all these years has made me more Swiss. lol We've very few photographs of our marriage ceremony, since it was rather impromptu and we only had a very small apéro after the civil ceremony. We, of course, have family photos, but since I am a photographer... I am rarely in them and my husband is camera shy to a fault. lol Is this an issue?

In addition our documents are generally in 3 languages (sometimes more). French, German, and Italian. I would assume a French document would be acceptable or no? For the German only community documents, should we have them officially translated or is it okay if we provide the translation?

Thank you again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

EaSt CoAsT GiRl

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2010
AOR Received.
30-07-2010
File Transfer...
01-06-2010
The documents can be in either French or English, so if you have documents in French already, no need to translate :)

As for pictures, they will want to see pics of you together whether you have been married for 7 years or not. So send some of you and him together as well as with your children, friends and other family members if possible.

All of the other proof sounds great :)

Best of luck to you.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
etoile said:
Are we still obliged to provide photographic evidence? ...

We've very few photographs of our marriage ceremony, since it was rather impromptu and we only had a very small apéro after the civil ceremony. We, of course, have family photos, but since I am a photographer... I am rarely in them and my husband is camera shy to a fault. lol Is this an issue?
In most couples, there is one partner who takes most of the pictures, so that's not unusual. Try to find some with you in them. Otherwise, you might just indicate "Photo taken by ________" to say that you were there.

Try to include a couple of wedding pictures, any of the apéro if any were taken, honeymoon if you had one. It would be helpful to have some pictures of the development of the relationship before the wedding. There don't have to be many, but it helps if they are separated in time (different clothing, hairstyles, etc., are good). Remember, these don't have to be good photography or flattering; they are only "evidence."

If possible, include some candid shots, so they don't think the pictures are staged. A variety of different places and people is much more important than quantity of pictures. I'm sure you only need a very few. Don't send your only copies. You may not get them back.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
where are you living right now?
cause you must prove that you will move to back to canada when you are doing the sponsorship.
others will best advise on this.

etoile

Star Member
Aug 22, 2010
Switzerland-Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you again for all your responses. They've been really helpful in determining what exactly we should send with our application.

We live in Switzerland now, but we plan to move to Canada (myself and the children officially) in November after lodging our PR application in Paris. We have a home in Canada and I am in the process of enrolling the children in school there. We have a bank account there with BMO. I think that should be enough, no?

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
We've been together 13 years in June , and married 13 in October. We have 2 kids together.

We sent;
A variety of photos & 'text' covering the last 13 years. It was an 85 page document.
joint tax returns
joint mortgage
joint checking account/savings
kids birth certificates
affidavits from his mom & sister
mementos (the few we had left from our dating days)

HTH

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
etoile said:
In addition we have these options of official government documentation:

-our community registration for each of the three communities we've lived in (Here in Switzerland you must officially register in the community you live in, so this shows we've lived and moved together three times. It provides official proof of cohabitation, I suppose)
-our "Familenbuchlein" or Family Book. Here in Switzerland this is more important than birth certificates. It has all of the information (places of birth, dates of birth) for every member of our family. It's a federal document.

We also have some old e-tickets for the whole family (maybe 2 or trips with all our of names listed together as travelling).
Definitely include all these.
Is this sufficient? Are we still obliged to provide photographic evidence? It sounds strange, but sending personal photographs feels very invasive. I guess living here in Switzerland all these years has made me more Swiss. lol We've very few photographs of our marriage ceremony, since it was rather impromptu and we only had a very small apéro after the civil ceremony. We, of course, have family photos, but since I am a photographer... I am rarely in them and my husband is camera shy to a fault. lol Is this an issue?
You don't need as many photos as a couple who have never lived together. It's obvious from your other evidence that you are in a genuine relationship. But I would still send in photos. Photos spanning the length of your relationship would be best. Include a description of each photo (on the back, on the margin, or with photo and description together in a Word document) stating who the people are, where and when it was taken, and the photographer - if it's you or your husband.
In addition our documents are generally in 3 languages (sometimes more). French, German, and Italian. I would assume a French document would be acceptable or no? For the German only community documents, should we have them officially translated or is it okay if we provide the translation?
Anything in French is fine the way it is. Anything only in German or Italian has to be translated. If it is an official document, get it translated by a certified translator. If it is just extra proof, such as emails, you can translate it yourself to save money, but still include a signed declaration by the translator stating the language translated and swearing that it is a true translation of the original.