+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-signer residency for dependent child sponsorship visa

sbh34

Aug 1, 2021
Hi,

Firstly, thank you so much for taking time out and comprehensive response ! I really appreciate for your help here.

Yes, I have read about it. This is what it says (Taken from IRCC official site). It also, says unless the situation changes, you don't have to submit again and they will process the applications.

If you applied before September 7, 2021, and you already told us that you qualify for a COVID-19 exemption
You do not need to submit a new application or write to us again.
We’ll process the application you submitted before September 7, 2021.

• It doesn’t matter if you applied via the IRCC Portal, via your IRCC secure account, or on paper.
We’ll send you an email if we need more information from you or when we reach a decision.

---

I have applied for visit visa for the first time on April 9th 2021 and looking at the above update from IRCC, I had submitted 2nd one on Oct 13th 2021. Both using my IRCC profile (GCKey) not through the new portal you have shared though, especially the 2nd application submitted after Sep 7th (i.e. Oct 13th 2021). The reason why I did not apply through it was coz, I did not find any option relevant to dependent child from the dropdown values.

Also, in your case, you are fortunate enough to have received reply from IRCC to pay the fee for TRP. But, in my case, they haven't responded to any of my inquires via mail nor from MP office.

Btw, thank you for the clarification on the co-signer part. Should I fill the IMM5604 form, sign and get it notarized, as I'm in Canada (& not accompanying my son) and my son is travelling with his mother. Please clarify.

I have sent you a personal note with my WhatsApp number. Would you mind giving me a buzz, so I can directly talk to about the options and try them out right away ?

Appreciate your time and help again !

Looking forward to your reply

Cheers
Vinay
The quote from IRCC says that you do not have to do anything if you already told them that you are eligible for priority processing. Are you sure you informed them about it? There were two ways to do it:

a) While submitting the application, choose Other as the purpose of travel and then write "COVID-19" (all in caps and without quotes)
or
b) if the application is already submitted (and option a) was not done), use a special web request form they had opened (at least in those days) for the applicants just to inform IRCC that their case is eligible for priority processing. Unfortunately I do not have a link to that any more.

I myself used b) and my communication with IRCC began to flow after that.

My understanding is that submitting applications through old portal are officially discouraged. The new portal is introduced for a reason and it does have possibilities for dependent child too. If you could not find it before then search again. I was all set to submit a new application from the new portal in October but then suddenly got feedback on my old application.

sbh34

Aug 1, 2021
I was filling the IMM5604 form and the following line is scary.

I have read and understand the contents of this letter and by signing and returning this letter, I am confirming that I fully understand that I may be permanently separated from my above-named child.

I'm supposed sign under this line which is sounding is weird.

In my case, do I really need to fill out this form ? We are happily married :D. My wife who is PR as well is stuck in India with my son (this application is for him) & she would be accompanying him to Canada to reunite with me. Do I still need to fill out the form "Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian For Minors Immigrating to Canada" ? If yes, in this case, should I fill the form since I'm not accompanying my son from India ? Also, what about the line highlighted in blue ?

Cheers
Vinay
Probably this form does not apply to your situation. You can always write a letter explaining that your wife is not really a non-accompanying parent.

If you do, your wife needs to fill it. You are the sponsor and requesting PR for your child. So the no-objection has to come from the other parent who is not applying for the child's immigration to Canada.

Vinay S

Aug 20, 2015
The quote from IRCC says that you do not have to do anything if you already told them that you are eligible for priority processing. Are you sure you informed them about it? There were two ways to do it:

a) While submitting the application, choose Other as the purpose of travel and then write "COVID-19" (all in caps and without quotes)
or
b) if the application is already submitted (and option a) was not done), use a special web request form they had opened (at least in those days) for the applicants just to inform IRCC that their case is eligible for priority processing. Unfortunately I do not have a link to that any more.

I myself used b) and my communication with IRCC began to flow after that.

My understanding is that submitting applications through old portal are officially discouraged. The new portal is introduced for a reason and it does have possibilities for dependent child too. If you could not find it before then search again. I was all set to submit a new application from the new portal in October but then suddenly got feedback on my old application.
Yes ! I did exactly the same ! One with COVID-19 & another webform to follow up when I did not receive any response. But, is there something we need to Specifically mention just in case if the officer overlooked the "Covid-19" part in the application ?

Vinay S

Aug 20, 2015
Probably this form does not apply to your situation. You can always write a letter explaining that your wife is not really a non-accompanying parent.

If you do, your wife needs to fill it. You are the sponsor and requesting PR for your child. So the no-objection has to come from the other parent who is not applying for the child's immigration to Canada.
Precisely what I thought. This should not be applicable to me. Yes, that's good idea. I will mention this in the Explanation letter. Hopefully, that would suffice.

In any case, I did not apply from the new portal. I have created the account last evening and would apply from the new portal once I apply for his PR online.

Here is what I'm planning to do.

1) Apply PR in a week & then
2) Apply for Visit visa from the new portal stating that I have applied for PR and it is in progress. would request to grant TRV/TRP to bring him at the earliest.

Let me know if should be fine.

Taba1234

Dec 17, 2021
I have a question I applied on dec 14th for my mother's visit visa on gckey because I didn't know about the new portal that time.After that on dec 19th I applied again on the new portal.my mother got request for passport for the gckey account.Then today I got another email for the new portal about biometric(My mother's biometric was done in 2018 so no need to do again).My question is what I have to do now?I am trying to call and email them but no response.My mother will submit her passport tomorrow accourfing to gckey application.Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a question I applied on dec 14th for my mother's visit visa on gckey because I didn't know about the new portal that time.After that on dec 19th I applied again on the new portal.my mother got request for passport for the gckey account.Then today I got another email for the new portal about biometric(My mother's biometric was done in 2018 so no need to do again).My question is what I have to do now?I am trying to call and email them but no response.My mother will submit her passport tomorrow accourfing to gckey application.Thanks.
You've posted your question in the wrong place. This has nothing to do with this thread. You should post to the Visitors section of the forum.

Niranjan001

Jan 11, 2022
Hello All,

I am in the same kind of situation and need help with the following queries. Myself and my wife are both PR. I am currently working in Canada and I came to Canada from India as soon as my daughter was born 3 months back. I am trying to sponsor to my child so that I can meet her soon.From the above replies I understand I do not need to include my wife as co-signer in IMM1344E and I can add a note in the LOE that my wife shall be accompanying my child and hence can avoid IMM5604 as well.I request all help with the following queries.
1. The child sponsorship application is to be sent in post right? after filling all the forms and keeping manually filled checklist on front.I am confused that is there an online way to submit it or post is the way to do it?
2. The quickest way to meet my daughter is to apply PR for my child and then apply TRP or the other way around.
3.Lastly My in-laws or my parents are planning to accompany my wife and they might stay for 2 to 3 months which visa is quicker to obtain.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jun 23, 2019
Hello all,

Me and my wife both are permanent residents. My wife was pregnant and had to leave Canada and go to my home country for some personal reasons. My child was born outside Canada. Currently both my wife and my child are in my home country. I am now applying for sponsorship visa for my child. My question is can my wife be a CO-SIGNER in the form IMM1344 Undertaking ?

Hello!
I was going through your post and I'm going through a similar situation. I was just curious to know what is the current status of your child and how did you go ahead with it. Specially the co signer matter

TIA

shafee786

Mar 14, 2024
Precisely what I thought. This should not be applicable to me. Yes, that's good idea. I will mention this in the Explanation letter. Hopefully, that would suffice.

In any case, I did not apply from the new portal. I have created the account last evening and would apply from the new portal once I apply for his PR online.

Here is what I'm planning to do.

1) Apply PR in a week & then
2) Apply for Visit visa from the new portal stating that I have applied for PR and it is in progress. would request to grant TRV/TRP to bring him at the earliest.

Let me know if should be fine.

Hi Vinay, am in the same boat as you now. What you did when you apply for your child sponsorship.
  1. Did you sign the IMM 5604 form and provide an explanation letter to IRCC. If so what explanation you provide ?
  2. If you didnt sign the IMM 5604 , what measures you did before proceeding whether your wife signed ?
Can you please let me know, I was kind of stuck here on how to proceed ?. Because even i was also scary of the line I have read and understand the contents of this letter and by signing and returning this letter, I am confirming that I fully understand that I may be permanently separated from my above-named child.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Did you guys figure out what is to be done here? Similar case for me too

I, the father is in Canada and applying for my child pR sponsorship. Daughter and PR mom is in India.

Since mother is in India, I dont think she can be a co - signor.

Also, how are we supposed to update the IMM5604? Should She write that she has no objection to child immigrating with me the father? And then in the section that ask who will accompany the minor, Should I write my wife name in section that asks for person who will accompany the minor