+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-op WP Extension?

jmd2014

Apr 8, 2014
My girlfriend currently has a study permit and co-op work permit. The basic rules are that you're not allowed to work for any longer than you've been studying. She studied 6 months and therefore she should be able to work for 6 months.

The co-op WP was issued in December and is valid until August. The problem is that it took her until April to find a position. She's currently on a 6 month contract which expires in October. So now she's in a situation where she can't technically finish out her contract.

Logically I would think that she can apply for an extension of her WP permit based on the fact that she wasn't actually working. However, based on my research, logic (and efficiency) don't appear to be the strong suits of CIC.

Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
jmd2014 said:
My girlfriend currently has a study permit and co-op work permit. The basic rules are that you're not allowed to work for any longer than you've been studying. She studied 6 months and therefore she should e able to work for 6 months.
The co-op WP was issued in December and is valid until August. The problem is that it took her until April to find a position. She's currently on a 6 month contract which expires in October. So now she's in a situation where she can't technically finish out her contract.
Logically I would think that she can apply for an extension of her WP permit based on the fact that she wasn't actually working. However, based on my research, logic (and efficiency) don't appear to be the strong suits of CIC.
Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation?
I think you are talking about a PGWP and not a Co-op work permit. And NO, it cannot be extended. She studies for 6 months and CIC gave her permission to work for that amount of time. It is not their concern that she did not get a job until April. She will have to legally stop working when her permission to work expires in August.

She can look into other ways, LMO, PNP or other immigration that she qualifies for but her work permit will not be extended on the basis that it took her some time to find a job

jmd2014

Apr 8, 2014
Thanks for the reply. No it's definitely a Co-op permit. It's part of an ESL course.

Apparently it is possible to extend it by extending both the study permit and the work permit together since they are linked. However, the school she attended has gone bankrupt so there is no way to get the required documentation from the school to apply for the extension.

Fortunately she finished the course work before the school closed. Some of her friends were not so fortunate