+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-op work permit "Required part of program"

alexct2020

Aug 13, 2020
So I have a little bit of a problem, with my university degree there is a 4th year co-op placement course option, you don't get paid but you will get equivalent course credits which you have to pay for. Apart from this my university offers a separate paid internship program which they say is open to International Students.

My university is like 30% international so I trust that they know what they are talking about.

I looked into getting a co-op work permit for this (because 20 hours a week seems very low considering most internships require you to put in a lot of effort) but the government website says to get it, the co-op has to be "required to complete the degree".

Since both the placement course and paid internship are in my case, optional to finish the degree, would I even be able to get a co-op permit for that or does choosing to do either the placement course or paid internship program, make it a required part to get my degree?

Also can I keep my part-time 15 hour a week job when doing a co-op?

Thanks and sorry for the maybe confusing wording.

Last edited:

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
Possibly not. You seemed to have assessed it accurately. If you can intern 20 hours a week (which you are legally allowed to do, under your study permit conditions), then you don't need a coop work permit. Your university needs to provide a letter mentioning that the coop is a necessary part of your program, without that you cannot justify the application. :(. Sorry man.