+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-op Work Permit - Employer Name

define

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
Hi,

I have been issued co-op work permit which lists my university name as the employer but due to some reasons of university's internal criteria, I am not eligible to apply for the co-op jobs approved by the university.

Can I apply for a new co-op work permit that does not have university name as the employer so that I am able to complete a co-op work permit with any company?

Regards,
Define

gk2k

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hi,

I have been issued co-op work permit which lists my university name as the employer but due to some reasons of university's internal criteria, I am not eligible to apply for the co-op jobs approved by the university.

Can I apply for a new co-op work permit that does not have university name as the employer so that I am able to complete a co-op work permit with any company?

Regards,
Define
Co-op work is only arranged by college/university where u study.and is ur study related.If u r not eligible for Co-op work than just u can work 20 hrs/week while u attend ur studies or unlimited hrs while ur summer or spring holidays.So in this case u dont need to apply for Co-op work permit.Also u need a letter from ur university stating that u need o coop work permit.I wonder how u got that work permit w/out ur university letter.

define

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
Thanks for your reply!
I received co-op work permit only after receiving letter from university for the same. But I think you did not understand my question correctly. I cannot apply for co-op jobs and upon confirmation from university, I got to know that I cannot even work during the inactive term and would need to apply for either visitor visa or work permit etc. because inactive term means no status as student and hence not eligible to work also. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/co-op-work-permit-employer-name.583731/#post-7238254

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Thanks for your reply!
I received co-op work permit only after receiving letter from university for the same. But I think you did not understand my question correctly. I cannot apply for co-op jobs and upon confirmation from university, I got to know that I cannot even work during the inactive term and would need to apply for either visitor visa or work permit etc. because inactive term means no status as student and hence not eligible to work also. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/co-op-work-permit-employer-name.583731/#post-7238254
What does the remark on your coop work permit say? See Link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1415&top=15

gk2k

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Thanks for your reply!

Should post ur status also .if no status than restore ur status .even i dont know u finsihed ur studies or eligible for PGWP .so at this point cannot reply for unknown status.

define

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
Should post ur status also .if no status than restore ur status .even i dont know u finsihed ur studies or eligible for PGWP .so at this point cannot reply for unknown status.
Currently, I am studying in the 2nd year of my master's programme.

gk2k

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Currently, I am studying in the 2nd year of my master's programme.
Ok thats clear u dont need any work permit when ur college is off for that 4 mths vacations and can work unlimited hrs during that otherwise 20hrs/week during normal studies and also on campus also unlimited hrs .but co-op work is organised by college .they have tie ups with the business partners and send there student for work .if that is rescheduled u can work on ur own w/out any work permit as usual everyone do.but u cannot do anything of that co-op work permit unless ur university arrange the work related to ur studies only.hope i am clear.but u still r welcome for any advice.

define

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
Ok thats clear u dont need any work permit when ur college is off for that 4 mths vacations and can work unlimited hrs during that otherwise 20hrs/week during normal studies and also on campus also unlimited hrs .but co-op work is organised by college .they have tie ups with the business partners and send there student for work .if that is rescheduled u can work on ur own w/out any work permit as usual everyone do.but u cannot do anything of that co-op work permit unless ur university arrange the work related to ur studies only.hope i am clear.but u still r welcome for any advice.
Thanks again for your reply.
I understand what you are saying and I also want it to be that way but I was informed by university that I need to apply for visitor visa or work permit for the period I would be taking unscheduled break or inactive term.

I could find relevant information only while searching in Google. Following is reference to that information:
  • On-campus and off-campus employment are not permitted should you become a part-time student, or take an academic break from your studies.
Link: https://www.uwo.ca/international/iesc/visas/study_permits/extend_study_permit/taking_a_break_from_your_studies.html

In this case, what to do?

gk2k

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
I understand what you are saying and I also want it to be that way but I was informed by university that I need to apply for visitor visa or work permit for the period I would be taking unscheduled break or inactive term.

I could find relevant information only while searching in Google. Following is reference to that information:
  • On-campus and off-campus employment are not permitted should you become a part-time student, or take an academic break from your studies.
Link: https://www.uwo.ca/international/iesc/visas/study_permits/extend_study_permit/taking_a_break_from_your_studies.html

So u r taking a break from ur studies.Am i right? If so its not good to take brake while u r studying but sometime incase u r sick or some mishappenings in the family u should be in the bed or with ur family.that explains the reason for taking a break otherwise u r doing something seriously wrong to ur future and career in canada.Also for nest time please post ur query with full details.like ur break

gk2k

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
one

One thing more that colleges do mention that conditions when they give u LOA about breaks and part time .all is mentioned so if ur break is unreasonable u will be having difficulties for PWGP and later PR

define

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
one

One thing more that colleges do mention that conditions when they give u LOA about breaks and part time .all is mentioned so if ur break is unreasonable u will be having difficulties for PWGP and later PR
My break is reasonable with one of the reasons you stated in your post. But my question is how to have status in Canada for this period when I am taking break. What do I have apply for? Work permit or Visitor visa. This is the only question I have.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You probably wont get PGWP if you take unscheduled break.
I don't see how you can get a work permit at the moment, visitor status might be your only option but then you will need to get a new study permit to resume studies.
Not sure if you can remain with your study permit while on unscheduled break, your school should be able to clarify this as I'm sure plenty of students do this so they have experience.

define

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
You probably wont get PGWP if you take unscheduled break.
I don't see how you can get a work permit at the moment, visitor status might be your only option but then you will need to get a new study permit to resume studies.
Not sure if you can remain with your study permit while on unscheduled break, your school should be able to clarify this as I'm sure plenty of students do this so they have experience.
I have checked the information from a Canadian institution that PGWP can be granted if there is unscheduled break due to unforeseen circumstances which applies to my case. So, I do not have any doubt about it.

My current study visa is valid till next year. I was wondering if I can apply for work permit based on a job offer during the time of unscheduled break. There are students who willingly take breaks from studies but mine is not with willingness. This is a common scenario though and right response from students, who had experienced before, would be helpful.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Why are you not eligible for the cop-op work term. Low marks? Fortunately I was eligible for mine, but arranged my own employment for the work term.