+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CO OP work permit approved but not availed later

Mukit20

Jul 10, 2020
Hi guys,
There is an optional CO OP for only 1 month after end of my PGD course. I'll only be eligible for This CO OP if my CGPA remains 3.5 or more and if there are vacancy in organizations. This is recommended to apply for CO OP work permit during my study permit application. It can be applied later as well.

My question is if I'm granted this CO OP work permit now with my SP but later i do not want to or not eligible to avail the CO OP, will this have any negative impact for my PGWP or will it be treated as breach to the rules ?

Harjas1997

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
Hi guys,
There is an optional CO OP for only 1 month after end of my PGD course. I'll only be eligible for This CO OP if my CGPA remains 3.5 or more and if there are vacancy in organizations. This is recommended to apply for CO OP work permit during my study permit application. It can be applied later as well.

My question is if I'm granted this CO OP work permit now with my SP but later i do not want to or not eligible to avail the CO OP, will this have any negative impact for my PGWP or will it be treated as breach to the rules ?
No. It is optional. Not all the students who get approved for co-op work permit use it.

Mukit20

Jul 10, 2020
No. It is optional. Not all the students who get approved for co-op work permit use it.
Thanks harjas.. So i think its better to apply fot CO OP work permit now wuth study permit and at the end if my program, i may decide not to fillow the work permit. Ryt? I hope IRCC do not take it negatively if o do not go for Co-OP later..

Btw, just curious have you stated this from your ideas or you have seen people facung no problem of they opt out from coope later?

Harjas1997

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
Thanks harjas.. So i think its better to apply fot CO OP work permit now wuth study permit and at the end if my program, i may decide not to fillow the work permit. Ryt? I hope IRCC do not take it negatively if o do not go for Co-OP later..

Btw, just curious have you stated this from your ideas or you have seen people facung no problem of they opt out from coope later?
Some of my friends didn't do any co-op . They didn't face any problem. It does not affect your IRCC profile if you do co-op or not. It is always better to do co-op as you will get jobs faster after your graduation due to co-op experience.