+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-op work experience problem

Orostacus

Sep 18, 2018
Hi, I'm a music student and my college doesn't really know if I need a co-op permit. They issued me a letter confirming that from April 27 2020 to may 24 I will be completing my mandatory work experience course. The thing is that they are not sure about this and now I'm on the end of my first year doing "workterm" that basically is just rehearsing and playing for free in places (musicians never get asked for sin number) and it's too late to apply for it. So now they questions I have are: what if? Am I responsible? Can I still go to the border? (we are on the first week of "workterm") I really don't know what to think about it. Any questions you think i can ask to the college? ideas please

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi, I'm a music student and my college doesn't really know if I need a co-op permit. They issued me a letter confirming that from April 27 2020 to may 24 I will be completing my mandatory work experience course. The thing is that they are not sure about this and now I'm on the end of my first year doing "workterm" that basically is just rehearsing and playing for free in places (musicians never get asked for sin number) and it's too late to apply for it. So now they questions I have are: what if? Am I responsible? Can I still go to the border? (we are on the first week of "workterm") I really don't know what to think about it. Any questions you think i can ask to the college? ideas please
What college is this ? Did you opt for a co-op program ? Did you submit this letter with your visa application.

Work experience is not the same as co-op.

Reactions: Orostacus

Orostacus

Sep 18, 2018
What college is this ? Did you opt for a co-op program ? Did you submit this letter with your visa application.

Work experience is not the same as co-op.
I did not, I got this letter around January because I requested it, but I never submitted my application for a co-op permit. The college is NSCC

Orostacus

Sep 18, 2018
I would like to know, if I eventually have problems with immigration, can I blame the college? I have emails, and even the letter that they gave me says that my work experience starts next year... I'm very confused.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I would like to know, if I eventually have problems with immigration, can I blame the college? I have emails, and even the letter that they gave me says that my work experience starts next year... I'm very confused.
You can't blame the college. You are responsible for maintaining legal status in Canada through the duration of your studies.

Orostacus

Sep 18, 2018
The process of registering for a SIN number. You can go to any service Canada office and get it. Even if you're not going to get paid, its better to have it.
Oh, I do have it. I'm currently working off campus 20 hrs per week.
Do you think I should go to the border this week and get my co-op permit approved?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Oh, I do have it. I'm currently working off campus 20 hrs per week.
Do you think I should go to the border this week and get my co-op permit approved?
Isn't your start date for your co-op next year, what's the rush ? You only need your co-op work permit for the co-op period.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You can’t use the old “ my dog ate my homework “, excuse with immigration. You’re responsible for holding all required immigration visas while you’re in Canada

Orostacus

Sep 18, 2018
Isn't your start date for your co-op next year, what's the rush ? You only need your co-op work permit for the co-op period.
That's the thing, the official information that the gave me says that I start next year, but they said that they are are not sure about it. Right now I'm doing my capstone project and I need to complete 130 hrs on it playing in gigs and other places. So Capstone project=workterm=co-op permit? That's what neither the school or I know
Let me explain my self more simple.
Present me: on school working on Capstone project (a.k.a. workterm by the teachers), need to complete 130 hrs doing stuff like practicing, playing (unpaid and no sin required most likely), whatever, and i write a journal about it and give all the hours to my teacher.
So Capstone project=work term= coop permit??
School: we don't know, but get your co-op permit with this official letter from us that says your work term starts next year.
Me(confused): So... That means I don't need the co-op permit for this year, right?
School: we don't know
Me:.....
Me: *ask everyone*
Everyone: aah I don't know, your prob