+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CO-OP position on work permit count for work experience?

Kp123456789

Apr 20, 2016
I am having trouble about the 1 year working experience requirements.

I have at least 12 months of full-time skilled work experience in Canada.
I graduated and I am working full-time(40 hours a week), Contract based position for 1 year. and the job falls under co-op program in the company instead of an independent contractor program.

I am wondering does this experience count towards the 1-year requirement? My confusion is although the program is co-op but I already graduated and getting this experience under my worker visa, does that count as full-time working experience?

Thanks a lot

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Yes it will be counted towards your CEC experience also it is counted as full-time work permit. As long as you gained it after your graduation.
The point here is they don't approve of any work experience while you were studying.

Please wait for more comments on this from other seniors.

Best of luck,

Jackon

Jul 19, 2015
I have the same problem, I did a co-op while I was still involved with my university. Meaning I was doing my final thesis meanwhile I worked a year in Canada.

I was rejected for CEC visa, since my work did not count.

Is there any chance I can make it count for CRS points?

kuchange

Apr 16, 2016
I graduated on Dec-2014 and applied for PGWP in January-2015, I worked full time under implied status for 5 months after my graduation and got my PGWP in July. Can I use implied status experience towards my CEC application?? I have only one year of work permit which expires in July and I want to apply for PR considering the implied status work experience. Please guide me on this. Thanks

Jackon

Jul 19, 2015
Naheulbeuck said:
The key is the work permit that you worked under.

Was it a co-op work permit or a regular one?
I guess I have to check my visa paper. How can I see if it was co-op work permit or a regular one?

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
kuchange said:
I graduated on Dec-2014 and applied for PGWP in January-2015, I worked full time under implied status for 5 months after my graduation and got my PGWP in July. Can I use implied status experience towards my CEC application?? I have only one year of work permit which expires in July and I want to apply for PR considering the implied status work experience. Please guide me on this. Thanks
Yes working under implied status is definitely counted towards your experience. but wondering how can you go under implied status before your PGWP? Cause implied status refers to whatever previous status you had. In your case study permit not work permit, so be careful.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Jackon said:
I guess I have to check my visa paper. How can I see if it was co-op work permit or a regular one?
If it's a co-op visa it will mention your employer's name on your visa.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
rezafc said:
Yes working under implied status is definitely counted towards your experience. but wondering how can you go under implied status before your PGWP? Cause implied status refers to whatever previous status you had. In your case study permit not work permit, so be careful.
Working under implied status based on existing Student Permit doesn't count for CEC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=377&top=29

You are not eligible for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class if you gained your work experience:
.../....
while on a student work permit (co-op, off-campus, or on-campus).

Experience will count after PGWP issue date

Kp123456789

Apr 20, 2016
It is Regular Open work permit which i got after graduation. Getting Coop job in the company through Agency based on my open work permit. I am not gaining my experience on coop visa or while studying. Hope so experience will count as per all of your opinions. If not then I will be Kicked out from the country after 1 year. :(

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Kp123456789 said:
It is Regular Open work permit which i got after graduation. Getting Coop job in the company through Agency based on my open work permit. I am not gaining my experience on coop visa or while studying. Hope so experience will count as per all of your opinions. If not then I will be Kicked out from the country after 1 year. :(
If you have 1 year experience after PGWP issue date, you should be eligible for CEC, if:
- NOC is B, A or 0
- you worked the whole year, having only regular days off and paid vacation. Periods of unpaved leave are not included for CEC.
- you worked full time (30 hours per week minimum )
- English test is CLB 5 or higher.

Note could be recommendable to have a bit more than 1 year just in case.

Note also than be eligible is only a condition.

You have to create a EE profile, and have enough score to get ITA.

Unfortunately, is hard for International Students to get 450 points, you can create a temporary profile and see how many points you get.

I strongly recommend to prepare EE profile, trying to get maximum points with English test, perhaps French tests and foreign education assessed.

Also, check for Provincial Nomination Programs, like Ontario through EE, and others.

Anyways I don't understand when you said you work falls under co-op program.

If you were working underby our PGWP should be a regular job, I guess.

kuchange

Apr 16, 2016
According to below information from CIC website, it looks like you can count the implied status experience (work done after completing graduation and waiting for PGWP)

Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)].

Still not clear.

kuchange

Apr 16, 2016
I agree. But you can count the experience you gained after completing your graduation and waiting for PGWP. As per CIC, experience gained while you are full-time student doesn't count. Correct me if I am wrong.

Member01

May 20, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I have a query regrading working as a co-op on Post Graduation Work Permit. I graduated in 2016 and started working from January 2017 as a co-op on my PGWP. I was wondering if that experience counts under EE profile and do i get points for the same. Can anyone please share their experience, if they had the similar situation and was it accepted/rejected?

Any help is greatly appreciated !!