+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CO-OP/Intern Work Permit When to Apply?

marie0707

Apr 27, 2016
I need to apply for a co-op/intern work permit along with a student Visa as it is required for the college program. It states a co-op/intern work permit is required in the college acceptance letter.
It seems from reading the site and trying to fill out the form, that you actually have to wait until you have your student visa and are in Canada before you apply for the co-op/intern work permit
The form 5710E makes you put your address in Canada and the time you arrive in Canada as the start date and it can't be a date later than today's date. So its like you have to already be in Canada before you can fill it out.
I don't want to not get a permit I should be getting beforehand but it seems like I have to wait.
Anyone know the answer to this or has done this?
Thanks.

kool.keith

Oct 25, 2015
Visa Office......
NY
I'm also going to apply for this permit, can anyone please help with this question?

heena1521

Aug 20, 2015
New Delhi
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
29-10-2020
marie0707 said:
I need to apply for a co-op/intern work permit along with a student Visa as it is required for the college program. It states a co-op/intern work permit is required in the college acceptance letter.
It seems from reading the site and trying to fill out the form, that you actually have to wait until you have your student visa and are in Canada before you apply for the co-op/intern work permit
The form 5710E makes you put your address in Canada and the time you arrive in Canada as the start date and it can't be a date later than today's date. So its like you have to already be in Canada before you can fill it out.
I don't want to not get a permit I should be getting beforehand but it seems like I have to wait.
Anyone know the answer to this or has done this?
Thanks.
My program is also co-op and you only have to attach the co-op letter with the application but you can apply for the permit once you reach canada.