+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closest border to Edmonton

Ualberta

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hi, I with my wife would also want to land at the closed border to Edmonton. Would you suggest which is the nearest and convenient from Edmonton? I do not have a car. All I am doing is going by redarrow bus to Lethbridge and from there cab to the border. Will I get a cab in Lethbridge to the border?

ingoingoingo

Star Member
Jan 25, 2020
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
3111 (CRS 1058)
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
31-01-2020
Nomination.....
11-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-02-2020
IELTS Request
30-11-2019
Med's Done....
07-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2020
LANDED..........
29-09-2020
Hi, I with my wife would also want to land at the closed border to Edmonton. Would you suggest which is the nearest and convenient from Edmonton? I do not have a car. All I am doing is going by redarrow bus to Lethbridge and from there cab to the border. Will I get a cab in Lethbridge to the border?
Is this related to permanent residence? Do you have PR card already or is this first application? When do you expect to get your COPR documentation?

If you are inland applicant, would it not be easier to go to a Service Canada centre in Edmonton? There is potentially no need to cross a land or water border then return.

If you are outland applicant, then fly into Edmonton or Calgary.

If you for some reason really want to cross over from Montana then there are multiple crossings. But you’re looking at over 100 km and around 1.5 hour each way, plus any processing time on each side of the border. That’s an expensive taxi! Wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper to fly from Edmonton?

Or like I said to start ... request an appointment to confirm your PR status and arrange to mail out card at your local Service Canada centre in Edmonton. More details at: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=748&top=22

Ualberta

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Thanks for your response. Yes, it is inland PR COPR documentation purposes. As it will take longer if I do in a Service Canada center in Edmonton, I thought the better way to get the COPR done and the PR card because I need it as quickly as possible for various reasons.

As not going by bus is the best way since it takes almost 7 hours one way from Edmonton to Lethbridge. So that I have booked a flight from Edmonton to Abbotsford, BC. From there we will go to the border near Point Roberts. It seems it is an hour's way if we got a bus it will be great otherwise we would take a cab.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Abbotsford to Point Roberts is most definitely not an hour by bus. It's about three. Point Roberts is an hour by bus from Bridgeport Station in Richmond.

A taxi from Abbotsford to Point Roberts would be a few hundred dollars.

ingoingoingo

Star Member
Jan 25, 2020
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
3111 (CRS 1058)
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
31-01-2020
Nomination.....
11-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-02-2020
IELTS Request
30-11-2019
Med's Done....
07-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2020
LANDED..........
29-09-2020
Thanks for your response. Yes, it is inland PR COPR documentation purposes. As it will take longer if I do in a Service Canada center in Edmonton, I thought the better way to get the COPR done and the PR card because I need it as quickly as possible for various reasons.
As not going by bus is the best way since it takes almost 7 hours one way from Edmonton to Lethbridge. So that I have booked a flight from Edmonton to Abbotsford, BC. From there we will go to the border near Point Roberts. It seems it is an hour's way if we got a bus it will be great otherwise we would take a cab.
The area round Abbotsford and Chilliwack is really nice. Though watch out for flooding lately. Wouldn’t it be easier to cross at the Huntingdon/Sumas border? It’s much closer. My family have used it and it’s very close (though Canadian citizens).

There’s a few posts in forums but they’re quite old. The CBSA website is surprisingly unhelpful about available Immigration services and operating hours. But they have a contact page where can confirm what services are available.

ingoingoingo

Star Member
Jan 25, 2020
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
3111 (CRS 1058)
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
31-01-2020
Nomination.....
11-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-02-2020
IELTS Request
30-11-2019
Med's Done....
07-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2020
LANDED..........
29-09-2020
The area round Abbotsford and Chilliwack is really nice. Though watch out for flooding lately. Wouldn’t it be easier to cross at the Huntingdon/Sumas border? It’s much closer. My family have used it and it’s very close (though Canadian citizens).

There’s a few posts in forums but they’re quite old. The CBSA website is surprisingly unhelpful about available Immigration services and operating hours. But they have a contact page where can confirm what services are available.
For best bet to check available CBSA services see https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html

Ualberta

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Thanks again, I now think the better crossing will be Sumar as we will be landed in Abbotsford airport.