+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit unemployed, can I work remote to my home country while in Canada?

mendozah

Aug 20, 2019
Hello everyone!

I have had a terrible year, and I think everyone has been having one, but this year has been SO bad and had pretty bad experiences in my personal life. One of them being having my PR application denied (For real stupid reasons, even a Lawyer said that he thinks it was a new officer and didn't know exactly what he was doing) so I am still on a closed work permit. Now, the company that I used to work for got bought by Google and now I am also unemployed.

I know that I cannot work for another company in Canada with this permit, but I doubt I will have trouble getting a new visa as I am from MX and I am LMIA excempt. So while I am looking for a Job (I am having a few interviews right now) I got a job offer to work remotely from here to Mexico City.

Does that do something against my closed work permit? Is it possible? Am I breaking the rules of my Closed Work Permit? If not, how does having that income affects my taxes? Do I have to declare it?

Thanks so much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone!

I have had a terrible year, and I think everyone has been having one, but this year has been SO bad and had pretty bad experiences in my personal life. One of them being having my PR application denied (For real stupid reasons, even a Lawyer said that he thinks it was a new officer and didn't know exactly what he was doing) so I am still on a closed work permit. Now, the company that I used to work for got bought by Google and now I am also unemployed.

I know that I cannot work for another company in Canada with this permit, but I doubt I will have trouble getting a new visa as I am from MX and I am LMIA excempt. So while I am looking for a Job (I am having a few interviews right now) I got a job offer to work remotely from here to Mexico City.

Does that do something against my closed work permit? Is it possible? Am I breaking the rules of my Closed Work Permit? If not, how does having that income affects my taxes? Do I have to declare it?

Thanks so much!
If your employer has any offices or clients in Canada you can’t work for them while in Canada. Yes you need to declare the income if you are a tax resident of Canada in 2020.

mendozah

Aug 20, 2019
If your employer has any offices or clients in Canada you can’t work for them while in Canada. Yes you need to declare the income if you are a tax resident of Canada in 2020.
Yeah, they don't have any office in Canada, they are a small startup. How can I declare them? And do I pay taxes on that salary?