+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit refused application outside of Canada

jesuslove

Star Member
Oct 24, 2021
I have a TRV,I applied for a closed work permit under the French Mobility program. I applied for a assistant manager position( Tim Hortons) through a work agency. I don't have any experience in assistant manager neither any experience working in restaurent.
My application is rejected for the following resaon:

Thank you for your interest in working in Canada. After careful review of your work permit application and supporting documentation under the International Mobility Program, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds: • You failed to provide evidence that you meet all the essential requirements and work qualifications for NOC 60030.

My work agency said they will work with the employer to change the contract from assistant manager to team member, they said I don't need any work experience in restaurent to be a team member.
Please can you advice me what can I do to reappply.
Can I travel with my TRV and apply inside of Canada?
Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a TRV,I applied for a closed work permit under the French Mobility program. I applied for a assistant manager position( Tim Hortons) through a work agency. I don't have any experience in assistant manager neither any experience working in restaurent.

Thank you for your interest in working in Canada. After careful review of your work permit application and supporting documentation under the International Mobility Program, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds: • You failed to provide evidence that you meet all the essential requirements and work qualifications for NOC 60030.

My work agency said they will work with the employer to change the contract from assistant manager to team member, they said I don't need any work experience in restaurent to be a team member.
Thank you
Traveling to Canada on the TRV and applying from inside of Canada won't address the refusal reason.

I disagree that you don't need any related work experience to be approved. Generally speaking, IRCC wants to see related work experience - ideally in the restaurant business - given you are applying to be an assistant manager. What is your past work experience? Do you have any past experience that is related to the job you are applying for in Canada?

jesuslove

Star Member
Oct 24, 2021
Traveling to Canada on the TRV and applying from inside of Canada won't address the refusal reason.

I disagree that you don't need any related work experience to be approved. Generally speaking, IRCC wants to see related work experience - ideally in the restaurant business - given you are applying to be an assistant manager. What is your past work experience? Do you have any past experience that is related to the job you are applying for in Canada?
I really appreciate that you always reply my post.
My previous work experience is call center( customer service). I don't have any experience in this position( Team member nor assistant manager)
Do you think the refusal of my work permit can impact my TRV when I will travel to Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Thank you
Do you have any work experience as a food service worker? You applied for a skilled position and now changing to a TEER 5 fast food worker job. The Tim Hortons will have to submit a new job offer through the Employment portal and get approved. Reapply with new job offer and your experience. You need to show experience. What is your plan coming to Canada and working in a fast food restaurant at minimum wage? You cannot change jobs as you are on a LMIA.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I really appreciate that you always reply my post.
My previous work experience is call center( customer service). I don't have any experience in this position( Team member nor assistant manager)
Do you think the refusal of my work permit can impact my TRV when I will travel to Canada?
There should be no impact to the TRV. However if your primary objective is to secure a work permit, then you don't want to travel to Canada and apply from here. You want to do that from your home country. Your chances of approval will be much lower here.

You can certainly try applying as a team member under a different NOC. I assume you are willing to accept the lower pay. A team member job will also make it much more difficult to qualify for PR if that is your objective. I don't think any of us here can tell you if your work permit will be approved or not as a team member. But you can certainly try.

Reactions: Naturgrl

jesuslove

Star Member
Oct 24, 2021
Do you have any work experience as a food service worker? You applied for a skilled position and now changing to a TEER 5 fast food worker job. The Tim Hortons will have to submit a new job offer through the Employment portal and get approved. Reapply with new job offer and your experience. You need to show experience. What is your plan coming to Canada and working in a fast food restaurant at minimum wage?
I understand that. My don't have any experience as a food service worker, I only have call center (customer service work experience). I was thinking on on doing a postgraduate course in business administration while working in Canada to find a better job that can help me swich my work permit to PR

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I understand that. My don't have any experience as a food service worker, I only have call center (customer service work experience). I was thinking on on doing a postgraduate course in business administration while working in Canada to find a better job that can help me swich my work permit to PR
Sure, you can do that. Assuming you plan on taking a business administration course with a Canadian school, you'll need to apply for a study permit and get the study permit approved before you can fly here. You'll be able to work up to 20 hours per week in Canada while you study.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So if you plan to study then you need a study permit. Don’t come on a LMIA. You need to get admission and apply showing tuition paid, funds (minimum of $10K) and justify the program and its costs with education and career advancement in home country.

jesuslove

Star Member
Oct 24, 2021
So if you plan to study then you need a study permit. Don’t come on a LMIA. You need to get admission and apply showing tuition paid, funds (minimum of $10K) and justify the program and its costs with education and career advancement in home country.
The minimun of $10k is for tuition only? Do I need to show funds for housing and other expenses?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The minimun of $10k is for tuition only? Do I need to show funds for housing and other expenses?
You need to pay tuition which may be $15-20k per year, and then show a minimum of $10k for living expenses. But $10k will not cover housing or expenses so you want to show considerably more than that. So you want to have a minimum of $25k.

jesuslove

Star Member
Oct 24, 2021
You need to pay tuition which may be $15-20k per year, and then show a minimum of $10k for living expenses. But $10k will not cover housing or expenses so you want to show considerably more than that. So you want to have a minimum of $25k.
Thank you for the information.So you told me that my work permit will not be approved again for the food service( team member)job as I I don't have any experience as a food service worker.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the information.So you told me that my work permit will not be approved again for the food service( team member)job as I I don't have any experience as a food service worker.
Never said that but you have a higher rate of refusal. Tim Hortons is getting a LMIA exemption to prove no one in Canada has the skills or can be hired and you have never worked in fast food. Now you are going from a supervisor/manager position to a team member. The job is not eligible for EE and you cannot move jobs because it is a LMIA/closed work permit.

jesuslove

Star Member
Oct 24, 2021
Never said that but you have a higher rate of refusal. Tim Hortons is getting a LMIA exemption to prove no one in Canada has the skills or can be hired and you have never worked in fast food. Now you are going from a supervisor/manager position to a team member. The job is not eligible for EE and you cannot move jobs because it is a LMIA/closed work permit.
I understand that, it will be under the French Mobility program not LMIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One of the bigger issues will be proving there is nobody in Canada to fill the position. There are many looking for work who are already able to work in Canada legally who would be also applying for jobs like Tim Horton’s worker. Assume you may also be paying the agency to secure this job which will make it very difficult to live in Canada if you are paying part of your salary to the agency or have taken out a loan to get this job. You also have a degree in business admin and have been working in a call centre so it wouldn’t make sense to apply for a food service position. Given the second application it will appear that you are just trying to secure any job in Canada. Whether you get a WP will partially depend on the location and whether there is truly a shortage of workers in the area.

jesuslove

Star Member
Oct 24, 2021
One of the bigger issues will be proving there is nobody in Canada to fill the position. There are many looking for work who are already able to work in Canada legally who would be also applying for jobs like Tim Horton’s worker. Assume you may also be paying the agency to secure this job which will make it very difficult to live in Canada if you are paying part of your salary to the agency or have taken out a loan to get this job.
I agree with your clarification. I really appreciate all of your answers.
When I apply for the job my residence permit was not expired because I am not living in my home country, now it is expired, so I have to renew it if I decide to apply again?