+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit and losing job

metemo

Nov 6, 2019
Hey guys, I am in a similar situation, though I've already quit my job as of last Friday. I am due to go home for Christmas Dec 21 - Jan 5. This Monday, I got an email requesting a final determination interview for PR on Jan 6, which is great, but I just realized that I may have trouble re-entering at the border with a closed work permit tied to a job I no longer work for (although the permit doesn't actually expire for another year). Will they let me in with just my letter for final determination interview?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys, I am in a similar situation, though I've already quit my job as of last Friday. I am due to go home for Christmas Dec 21 - Jan 5. This Monday, I got an email requesting a final determination interview for PR on Jan 6, which is great, but I just realized that I may have trouble re-entering at the border with a closed work permit tied to a job I no longer work for (although the permit doesn't actually expire for another year). Will they let me in with just my letter for final determination interview?
You should be let in. You will not be eligible for EI since you quit.

coming2canada

Aug 21, 2017
You should have no problem re-entering Canada. I have done it in July of 2019.

thekiterunner

Feb 25, 2020
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and need your expert advise. I have gone through some of forum but everyone has a different scenario so planned to post a question here
1. I have came to Canada on Jan 2. Currently I am in closed WP (with LMIA exemption) as I was working from India and came to Canada for the same client. Now the client contract is getting over by June 8 and my company may ask me to leave Canada. I understand for any new employer to give me a job they have to go through the LMIA route which wont be done prior to June 8. If my company pushes me to go back to India, can I quit and still stay in Canada legally on closed work permit? And meanwhile I can continue searching for the employer who can do a LMIA for me to start working again.
2. My wife is currently on OWP which she applied based on my closed WP. Planning to get higher education we have applied Study permit for her. Chances to get her study permit approved prior to June 8 is little less as processing time for Study permit is 5 weeks and we have applied it on May 15.
- What is possibility of rejection of Study permit?
- Can I apply OWP based on her approved Study permit? It may be the case that by then I have quit my current job as my company is keen in sending me back. What' the possibility of rejection is such cases?

Let me know if you need any more information. Any other suggestion in this scenario are more than welcome.
Hi! Do you have any updates? Currently we are nearly in the same situation, my husband may lose his job and he have closed work permit. I'm wondering if you stay in canada even you lose your job?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! Do you have any updates? Currently we are nearly in the same situation, my husband may lose his job and he have closed work permit. I'm wondering if you stay in canada even you lose your job?
You can stay but can’t work if you lose your job. You would have to find another employer willing to get LMIA and then apply for another work permit

venkuus

Sep 7, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Don't know
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-02-2021
AOR Received.
01-04-2021
IELTS Request
13-09-2020
Med's Done....
17-02-2021
Hello everyone, I am also on closed work permit and have following questions. Appreciate your help.

1. Do I have to leave Canada if I lose my job ?
2. If I lose my job, does my wife open work permit is still valid and can she work or travel in and out of the country ?
3. Can I apply for EI as I have contributed EI from the day 1 of my job?
4. Can I apply for open work permit ?

Thanks
Venkatesh

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone, I am also on closed work permit and have following questions. Appreciate your help.

2. If I lose my job, does my wife open work permit is still valid and can she work or travel in and out of the country ?

Thanks
Venkatesh
1. No. You can stay as long as your work permit is valid.
2. Yes. Her work permit remains valid.
3. Yes - as long as you have worked enough hours.
4. No.

coming2canada

Aug 21, 2017

Thanks
Venkatesh
4. You can apply for open work permit
a. if your wife get study permit and joins some educational institution.
b. you have already applied for PR then you explore BOWP (Bridging open work permit).

Reactions: venkuus

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
4. You can apply for open work permit
a. if your wife get study permit and joins some educational institution.
b. you have already applied for PR then you explore BOWP (Bridging open work permit).
b. If the closed permit is still valid you couldn’t apply for a BOWP.

Sachindra

Star Member
Oct 28, 2018
I need help.My husband have closed work permit and might get fired.I have open work permit.What he can do if he lose his job.We applied for pr in August 2018 and in june we have appointment for medical.We are here with small child and we are so afraid.Thanks
Did you received your PR

munmun1802

Jul 5, 2020
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and need your expert advise. I have gone through some of forum but everyone has a different scenario so planned to post a question here
1. I have came to Canada on Jan 2. Currently I am in closed WP (with LMIA exemption) as I was working from India and came to Canada for the same client. Now the client contract is getting over by June 8 and my company may ask me to leave Canada. I understand for any new employer to give me a job they have to go through the LMIA route which wont be done prior to June 8. If my company pushes me to go back to India, can I quit and still stay in Canada legally on closed work permit? And meanwhile I can continue searching for the employer who can do a LMIA for me to start working again.
2. My wife is currently on OWP which she applied based on my closed WP. Planning to get higher education we have applied Study permit for her. Chances to get her study permit approved prior to June 8 is little less as processing time for Study permit is 5 weeks and we have applied it on May 15.
- What is possibility of rejection of Study permit?
- Can I apply OWP based on her approved Study permit? It may be the case that by then I have quit my current job as my company is keen in sending me back. What' the possibility of rejection is such cases?

Let me know if you need any more information. Any other suggestion in this scenario are more than welcome.
Hi in the same situation can you please guide that did your wife get student visa? how tough or easy that was? did your CWP converted to OWP easily? would appreciate your response, thanks in advance

sach001

May 22, 2018
Hi in the same situation can you please guide that did your wife get student visa? how tough or easy that was? did your CWP converted to OWP easily? would appreciate your response, thanks in advance
We had applied for wife Student permit while I was working. And after we received Student Visa I had applied for SOWP. The process took its time and we got the permits. We ensured to explain our situation in Letter of explanation.