+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit and losing job

ayuki117

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Help desk gives out bad information all of the time. Don't rely on anything they tell you.
so if i ever loss my job while im waiting for PR and on the closed work permit, should i apply for VR or just wait till my work permit expires and then ... and then do what...

I am so confused and really don't want to mass up with my PR application.

Reactions: jagann

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
so if i ever loss my job while im waiting for PR and on the closed work permit, should i apply for VR or just wait till my work permit expires and then ... and then do what...

I am so confused and really don't want to mass up with my PR application.
If you have applied for Express Entry and have received ITA and submitted your application - then you lose your job - you can apply for a BOWP. You should move over to the Express Entry section of the forum and discuss there.

Reactions: Zkstark

ayuki117

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
If you have applied for Express Entry and have received ITA and submitted your application - then you lose your job - you can apply for a BOWP. You should move over to the Express Entry section of the forum and discuss there.
I applied under QSW, Quebec skilled worker cataloger, not Express Entry.

Reactions: jagann

jagann

Star Member
Jul 21, 2018
Any update ?
Am also in trouble
My employer closing business soon
Am in closed work permit is there any way to stay in ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Any update ?
Am also in trouble
My employer closing business soon
Am in closed work permit is there any way to stay in ?
You can remain in Canada as long as your work permit is valid. However in order to work for a new employer, you will need to obtain a job offer and approved LMIA from a new employer so that you can apply for a new closed work permit.

jojo2969

Jun 21, 2016
Oakville
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
01-08-2018
AOR Received.
11-03-2019
Med's Request
30-10-2018
Med's Done....
07-11-2018
If you are under a closed work permit and lost your job, but you have a PR application in process under Family Sponsorship applying from within the country, can you still travel and use the WP to get back into Canada? Or is this risky and should just sit tight until PR application has been completed?

marry85.

May 9, 2019
I need help.My husband have closed work permit and might get fired.I have open work permit.What he can do if he lose his job.We applied for pr in August 2018 and in june we have appointment for medical.We are here with small child and we are so afraid.Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I need help.My husband have closed work permit and might get fired.I have open work permit.What he can do if he lose his job.We applied for pr in August 2018 and in june we have appointment for medical.We are here with small child and we are so afraid.Thanks
He can stay in Canada but can't work for another employer.

Is it a PNP app requiring him to have this job?

coming2canada

Aug 21, 2017
Hi All,

I moved to Canada on closed work permit , the company who sponsored my work permit laid me off due to lack of business. I have already applied for PR (paper based application with PNP) , we have recieved medical request.

By reading some of the responses I understand that I can stay untill my current work permit expires.

I want to know if I get an offer from another employer and subsequently apply for work permit, can I start working for the new employer as soon as I apply for work permit or should I wait untill work permit approval which can take 6-8 weeks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I moved to Canada on closed work permit , the company who sponsored my work permit laid me off due to lack of business. I have already applied for PR (paper based application with PNP) , we have recieved medical request.

By reading some of the responses I understand that I can stay untill my current work permit expires.

I want to know if I get an offer from another employer and subsequently apply for work permit, can I start working for the new employer as soon as I apply for work permit or should I wait untill work permit approval which can take 6-8 weeks.
You have to wait until the new work permit is approved. You cannot start working as soon as you apply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You can get an open work permit if you can declare that you have been financially abused by the employer ... Check the "Come to canada tool" you can get an OWP with your CSQ if th above applies . There is a question that the tool will ask "Are you at the risk of being abused by your employer?"
Being laid off is NOT abuse.

$unn¥123

Jul 25, 2015
Hi Seniors and Experts,
I was wondering if i as full time time international student can apply for work permit before my study finishes?? I am currently in private school which does not allow PGWP after study completion. So in my case what could the best call ? to extend my stay in Canada.
Is it possible for me to apply for Work Permit ?
Kindly Suggest.....My course s French learning and School has DLI number but not allow Post Graduate Work Permit after finishing my Studies.
Hope to get any solution from experts..( i prefer not to re apply for study again) Instead of extension of Study permit. I wish if Student is allow to appy for Work Permit while is in Student Visa.......

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Seniors and Experts,
I was wondering if i as full time time international student can apply for work permit before my study finishes?? I am currently in private school which does not allow PGWP after study completion. So in my case what could the best call ? to extend my stay in Canada.
Is it possible for me to apply for Work Permit ?
Kindly Suggest.....My course s French learning and School has DLI number but not allow Post Graduate Work Permit after finishing my Studies.
Hope to get any solution from experts..( i prefer not to re apply for study again) Instead of extension of Study permit. I wish if Student is allow to appy for Work Permit while is in Student Visa.......
You would need a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA to be able to apply for a work permit.

nagapr

Sep 28, 2019
Hi All,

Did you worked for same employer in Canada for one year? I am not sure if we need to work 1 year in same WP.