intensecool

Jan 29, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
couple_from_bd said:
important for skill transferability if you are applying with foreign work experience and education. getting 0.5 less in writing costing me 50 points..... :(
I am in same boat, got disaster score in IELTS.
Where r u from , when are you taking a retest

sagar1279

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-05-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2017
Med's Done....
06-07-2017
couple_from_bd said:
important for skill transferability if you are applying with foreign work experience and education. getting 0.5 less in writing costing me 50 points..... :(
Oh Yes, I understand it now, Hopefully, things will be better in your next exam. Others like me, will definitely learn from your experience. Good Luck!! :)

Adil Khan123

Jul 20, 2015
Abu Dhabi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2015
I am too much worried now but still relaxed to some extent.... m currently standing at 360 with 7 bands.. if i get clb 9 my points will be 456..... but how.... just decided will keep on trying again and again until i reach there. :).. my 4th attempt is on 29th of this month so pray for me .... :)

Jaiveer Singh

Aug 22, 2013
Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Adil Khan123 said:
I am too much worried now but still relaxed to some extent.... m currently standing at 360 with 7 bands.. if i get clb 9 my points will be 456..... but how.... just decided will keep on trying again and again until i reach there. :).. my 4th attempt is on 29th of this month so pray for me .... :)
Dnt give up buddy. My. 1st attempt was 7/7/6.5 in L/R/S and 5.5 in writing. But after carefully considering writing tips and underrstand the theme of Ielts i scored 8.5/8/7.5/8 in L/R/S/W so dnt give up i paid 1200$ for just to get this score

sagar1279

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-05-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2017
Med's Done....
06-07-2017
I guess clb7 will fetch you 25 points and for 50 (additional 25) you need clb9. I'm also giving ielts on 29aug Mumbai. Best luck!!

cryptic0

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
IELTS, like every other standardized test, is just as much about learning the structure of the test as it is about having a good English foundation. Having one or the other won't help, you need both. If you ask for my honest opinion, all standardized tests are biased and some are just an untrustworthy method of benchmarking one's language/thinking skills.

To me, IELTS felt like the test designers were more focused on tricking the test takers than putting more effort into real assessment. In particular, the listening section is well designed to fool the test taker. Sometimes the conversations happen very fast and in addition the speakers are intentionally trying to confuse the listener to no end. It drove me crazy. In the reading part, there is a lot of confusion surrounding the TRUE/FALSE/NOT GIVEN type of questions.

I got L/R/W/S scores of 8.5/9/8/8 with an overall band of 8.5. Frankly, I thought my speaking test went really well. I am an academic researcher and have given more than 25 talks at national and international conferences.

I can't complain too much because this score gives me all the points one can potentially get for immigration purposes, but the fact remains that IELTS and many other tests are stacked high against test takers. At the very least they should allow people to combine results from different test iterations. Instead you are forced to do well on all four components every single time you take the test.

Reactions: arhue

Kucuy15

Jul 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
cryptic0 said:
IELTS, like every other standardized test, is just as much about learning the structure of the test as it is about having a good English foundation. Having one or the other won't help, you need both. If you ask for my honest opinion, all standardized tests are biased and some are just an untrustworthy method of benchmarking one's language/thinking skills.

To me, IELTS felt like the test designers were more focused on tricking the test takers than putting more effort into real assessment. In particular, the listening section is well designed to fool the test taker. Sometimes the conversations happen very fast and in addition the speakers are intentionally trying to confuse the listener to no end. It drove me crazy. In the reading part, there is a lot of confusion surrounding the TRUE/FALSE/NOT GIVEN type of questions.

I got L/R/W/S scores of 8.5/9/8/8 with an overall band of 8.5. Frankly, I thought my speaking test went really well. I am an academic researcher and have given more than 25 talks at national and international conferences.

I can't complain too much because this score gives me all the points one can potentially get for immigration purposes, but the fact remains that IELTS and many other tests are stacked high against test takers. At the very least they should allow people to combine results from different test iterations. Instead you are forced to do well on all four components every single time you take the test.
Couldn't agree more!!!

+1

pratik1216

Jun 13, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same F&*!#$ problem. I gave the test twice
1st time: Listening 7.5, Reading 7.0, Speaking 8.0, Writing 7.5
2nd time: Listening 8.0, Reading 8.0, Speaking 7.0, Writing 6.5

Missed CLB9 by .5 each time. Coincidence or maybe not?

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
pratik1216 said:
Same F&*!#$ problem. I gave the test twice
1st time: Listening 7.5, Reading 7.0, Speaking 8.0, Writing 7.5
2nd time: Listening 8.0, Reading 8.0, Speaking 7.0, Writing 6.5

Missed CLB9 by .5 each time. Coincidence or maybe not?
Apply for reevaluation.

edapras

Star Member
Oct 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cryptic0 said:

Absolutely right. Every word of it. When i finished my listening test i was sure i was not going to get more than 8 thats required for CLB 9. And i was sure to get 8 for speaking test. But to my surprise i got 9 in listening and 7 in speaking.

Its about getting used to the pattern of the exam. I practiced Listening alone for 3 tests a day for 15 to 20 days. This alone will increase one's confidence level which does make a difference.

And Yes, the True/False/Not Given is the toughest part of it and i got 2 sections of the same in my reading tests. Its about getting used to what is the type of answer that qualifies to "Not Given" a million times.

Its better to assess where one is weak at and concentrating at the weakness a million times. I know for sure my listening skills are my weak point and hence i pounded at it day after day.

Over and out !

thatguy56

Sep 10, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2015
AOR Received.
27-10-2015
Med's Done....
21-09-2015
Oh yeah! That is a very dangerous situation in writing. I scored less because I was denied an extra sheet to write on as I only noticed I needed one in the last 2 minutes and I couldn't conclude my essay on time.

TIMING IS KEY PEOPLE!!

psharma.np

Star Member
Apr 4, 2015
Do we need to upload the scan copy of IELTS result when applying for PR Application? None of the section specifically ask for this?

ANy help.

thatguy56

Sep 10, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2015
AOR Received.
27-10-2015
Med's Done....
21-09-2015
psharma.np said:
Do we need to upload the scan copy of IELTS result when applying for PR Application? None of the section specifically ask for this?

ANy help.
Not the topic to ask this question, but you can add it in additional documents ( LOE section) if you want to.

chiron

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
09-02-2016
Med's Done....
11-02-2016
Passport Req..
07-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2016
LANDED..........
03-08-2016
This happened with me too but I was lucky enough to manage a 7. Apparently its better to attempt the second essay first as the 150 word is easier to do in a time crunch.