+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarifications Regarding Inland Sponsorship while on Visitor Visa

pinman

Nov 8, 2017
Hello everyone,

I hope 2019 has been pleasant so far.

My wife will be flying back to Canada from her country on the 18th of February, 2019. She has a return flight booked for July, but we are OK missing/rescheduling the flight as the sponsorship process takes upwards of a year. She has a visitor visa that expires in 2020 and has visited Canada twice before with no problems.

With that said, I would like some clarifications/confirmations on the following questions:
  1. We will be applying for inland sponsorship as soon as she arrives in February. As part of our application package, we will be applying for an Open Work Permit. As Visitor Visas typically allow for a maximum 6 month stay in Canada, I understand that the OWP extends her stay automatically, without us having to send in any more paperwork. Is my understanding correct?

2. On form IMM 0008, it asks for my wife's (the principal applicant's) country of residence. That is Canada, as she will be here on her Visitor Visa. On that same question, it asks for the dates of residency (from XXXX-YY to XXXX-YY). What date should be the "to"? Date of expiry of the Visitor Visa, in 2020? Or 6 months from her entry of February 18, 2019? Or the date of her flight out, that we plan to reschedule/cancel? Not sure about this one.
Thank you everyone for the advice and assistance in advance.

Pinman

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
if sponsorship + OWP is received when the applicant has status....the OWP grants the applicant implied status.....however, applicants are advised after submitting sponsorship application to also apply for visitor visa extension just to be safe and remain in status until AOR is received.....apply for visitor visa extension just in case your application is returned and needs to be re-submitted, so the applicant will not be out-of-status as the OWP which grants implied status will not be approved if applicant is out-of-status.

FROM DATE: date entered Canada
TO DATE: 6 months from her entry of February 18, 2019.