+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445
Oct 23, 2023
4
2
Hello,

I would like to clarify a few points regarding my tax obligations.

I have held permanent resident (PR) status in Canada for the past two years. However, after completing a soft landing, I remained outside the country and have only recently moved here.

My current employment, salary, and bank account are all based in United Arab Emirates. I would like to understand how foreign income is treated for tax purposes in Canada. Specifically, if I do not disclose my overseas employment and income while filing taxes, how would the government become aware of it, and what are the potential implications (I know as a rule you have to disclose but what If you dont)? anyone has experience for similar thing?

Do authorities actively track or assess income earned outside Canada? Up to this point, I have not filed any taxes in Canada related to my foreign income or sources. Moving forward, I will also be working in Canada and intend to properly file taxes on that income.

I would appreciate your guidance on how to proceed correctly.

Thank you.
 
Good questions — and the key one to sort out first is whether you were actually a tax resident of Canada during those two years.

Tax residency isn't the same as PR status. CRA decides it based on your residential ties: a home in Canada, a spouse or partner in Canada, dependants in Canada (the big ones), plus things like a driver's licence, health card, or bank accounts. If you did a soft landing and then lived in the UAE for two years with no home, spouse, or dependants in Canada, you were very likely a non-resident for tax purposes during those years — and non-residents don't pay Canadian tax on UAE employment income. PR status alone doesn't make you a tax resident.

Now that you've actually moved to Canada and set up life here, you're a tax resident from that point on, and you must report your worldwide income — including the UAE salary — on your Canadian return. The UAE having no income tax doesn't matter to CRA; Canada still taxes the income, and there's no foreign tax credit to claim since you paid no UAE tax on it.

On 'what if you don't disclose': CRA does receive information from other countries. Canada and the UAE exchange financial account information under the Common Reporting Standard, and there is a Canada–UAE tax treaty. Large transfers into Canadian bank accounts also leave a trail. If CRA catches unreported income, the penalties are steep — including a gross negligence penalty of 50% of the tax owing, plus interest — and it can come up in immigration or citizenship applications that ask about tax compliance.

What I'd do:
1. Pin down your residency for each of the past two years — your travel dates and what ties (if any) you kept in Canada. If you were a non-resident, you likely owe nothing for those years, but get this confirmed, because getting residency wrong is expensive to fix later.
2. From the date you settled in Canada, report everything, UAE salary included.
3. If it turns out you were a resident for any past year and didn't file, look at CRA's Voluntary Disclosures Program — coming forward on your own, before CRA contacts you, generally means penalties are waived and there's no prosecution.

Keep your travel records, UAE employment letters, and pay slips. You'll need them to show exactly when your residency changed.