+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on the results of Quebec's Prelim. Eval. for Immigration (PEI) ??

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
The online PEI tool used for the Québec Certificate of Selection process indicates the following for me :

It seems that you meet the Québec selection criteria. You may now submit an official immigration application.

Even though I stated that my competence in French is None.

However, in the "List of forms and documents to enclose with your official immigration application" for the Certificate of Selection I am required to submit proof of Proficiency in French and English.

Why does the PEI tool suggest that I might meet the criteria for selection even though I stated I have no competence in French...given that French (along with English) is a REQUIREMENT for applying for the Certificate of Selection??

ton40

Star Member
Mar 3, 2010
This is very possible if your job is in the list of preferred areas of training.
You are not required to submit language test results. Most of the people do not submit then and later they are called for an interview.

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
ton40 said:
This is very possible if your job is in the list of preferred areas of training.
You are not required to submit language test results. Most of the people do not submit then and later they are called for an interview.
Hello ton40, the application instructions for CSQ seem to suggest that you are required to submit proof of your proficiency in French. The application instructions further seem to suggest that failure to submit this proof as part of your application would make your CSQ application incomplete.

Can you clarify what do you mean by You are not required to submit language test results. ?

See section 7 of the CSQ application instructions below:
7. Proficiency in French or English

* To evaluate your language knowledge if neither French nor English is your mother tongue, you can enclose documentary proof attesting to your proficiency in French or English and, if applicable, that of your spouse.
* To demonstrate your French language knowledge and speed up the processing of your application, enclose with your Application for a Selection Certificate an attestation relative to either one of the two tests recognized by the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles (MICC) for assessing French language knowledge – either
o a Test d’évaluation du français adapté pour le Québec (TEFAQ – French evaluation test adapted for Québec) or
o a Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec (TCFQ – French language knowledge test for Québec)

* You can also submit an attestation for: the Diplôme d’études en langue française (DELF), the Diplôme approfondi de langue française (DALF), the Test de connaissance de français (TCF) or the Test d’évaluation du français (TEF). If you choose the TCF or the TEF, you must enclose an attestation of the results of both the oral comprehension test (mandatory test) and the oral expression test (optional test). Please consult the table (in French – PDF, 54 Kb) for a detailed description of these French tests.
* To establish your English language knowledge, please enclose with your application the necessary documentary proof for yourself and your spouse, where applicable. This proof could be the results of a recognized evaluation test, such as IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC and Cambridge tests.
* You may also enclose a document to prove that you have worked in English or French.

Note: You must enclose original documents and your documents must include an assessment of comprehension and oral expression.
It is important to note that the level of French proficiency will be assessed based on proof submitted. Consequently, it is preferable to enclose all
proof that demonstrates your level of French proficiency.

ton40

Star Member
Mar 3, 2010
Most of the people in this forum do not send language test results, but later they are called for an interview.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
submission of language tests is highly recommended, but is NOT a compulsion. It does not make your application incomplete.
I know many people who did not submit the language tests (but only related proofs like study or work in English etc.) and got their immigration.