+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on my Spouse Open WP Extension

nvsrinath

Dec 23, 2009
Hi,

I am here in Canada on an WP which is expering on 31st Mar 2010 and my wife has an "Open Work Permit". which expires with mine.

My wife has recently got a part time job and she is learning the work.

My employer has asked me to extend my work permit till Mar 2011.

The problem is that the employer wont apply for the spouse's WP extension. So I am applying for my WP Extension with a Visitor Visa for my spouse. On inquiry it was informed that it may take upto 3 to 4 months to get my new extended Work Permit with Visitor Visa for my spouse.

I want to wait for my extended work permit to come and then apply for extension of my spouse Open WP after that. Are there any problems anticipated because of this decision?

My questions are:

1) If my work permit comes late say around 15th April 2010 or so and with a Visitor Visa for my Spouse, Can my spouse continue to work after 31st March 2010 (as her OPEN WP expires on that date)? (OR) She has to stop working by 31st March 2010 because of WP expiry issues.

2) Assuming my extension approval comes before 31st March 2010 with a Visitor Visa for my spouse. Can I go to the Canada Border Immigration Office and get the New WP (OR) Extend the existing WP based on Visitor Visa approval received for her? Does it affect her working status anyway?

Please advise which is a better option. And how to get this issue resolved in a easier manner.

Thanks and regards,

Venkat