+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on 183 days in a row

figtoria

Nov 19, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

We're putting together the citizen application for my 17 year old step-son. He has been a PR for 5 years, but each summer for about 2 months, he's gone back down to Florida to visit his mom. He's been out of the US for over 183 days altogether, so I was assuming I would need to get the Security Summary from the FBI.

BUT, I just noticed on my husband's application it says "183 days in a row".

So does that mean I do NOT have to get the Security Clearance for my 17 year old, since his time away wasn't more than 183 days in a row?

Appreciate anyone who might have some insights into this.

Thank you!

Vicki

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Hi all,

We're putting together the citizen application for my 17 year old step-son. He has been a PR for 5 years, but each summer for about 2 months, he's gone back down to Florida to visit his mom. He's been out of the US for over 183 days altogether, so I was assuming I would need to get the Security Summary from the FBI.

BUT, I just noticed on my husband's application it says "183 days in a row".

So does that mean I do NOT have to get the Security Clearance for my 17 year old, since his time away wasn't more than 183 days in a row?

Appreciate anyone who might have some insights into this.

Thank you!

Vicki
According to the document checklist for Adult applicants (18 and over), it specifies that a police certificate is only needed for when you spend 183 days or more in a row in the last 4 years before the application.
However, the document checklist for a minor applicant (under 18, applying by a parent or guardian who is a Canadian or is a PR applying at the same time) states you need a police certificate when the child spends a total of 183 days or more outside Canada while 14 years of age or older in the last 4 years before the application.

So in this case, since your son is 17 years old, he would need the police certificate from the US since he spent more than 183 days total in the last 4 years.

figtoria

Nov 19, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. It seems strange that there are two such similar, but different wordings, but I agree with your interpretation. I was just hoping I wouldn't need to apply for the police certificate. I'm hoping that it isn't too long a process dealing with the FBI these days.

Thanks again!