+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification around restrictions associated with Open Work Permit.

Daviddejongh

Apr 18, 2018
I have an open work permit and recently noticed that there are restictions associated with working in the areas of child care and in the health sector. I have a Bachelor Degree in Social Work and my credentials have been assessed as being suitable to work in Alberta as a Social Worker. My area of expertise is in child protection, could anyone tell me whether i am permit to work as a case manager in the field of child welfare or as a social worker in the health sector or am I excluded from being able to working in these areas.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I have an open work permit and recently noticed that there are restictions associated with working in the areas of child care and in the health sector. I have a Bachelor Degree in Social Work and my credentials have been assessed as being suitable to work in Alberta as a Social Worker. My area of expertise is in child protection, could anyone tell me whether i am permit to work as a case manager in the field of child welfare or as a social worker in the health sector or am I excluded from being able to working in these areas.
1. If you work with children at all, or in the health sector you need a medical exam from a Panel Physician and then get the restriction removed from your work permit.

Reactions: CdnwifeUSwife

Daviddejongh

Apr 18, 2018
Thanks, PMM, are you aware of the closest Panel of Physician to Bonnyville that can conduct this medical exam and what the next process is to have these restrictions removed post receiving medical clearance.

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks Thronion, can you please explain what you mean by flagpole the border
Flagpole is:
1. go to the nearest Canada-USA border,
2. get an Administrative Refusal (this is harmless) from US CBP,
3. then come back to Canada, and speak with CBSA about your permit.

You don't need US visa for this.

Thronion Alb

Star Member
Jan 7, 2018
To remove conditions u have to go to a border point between usa and canada.
Your nearst seem to be Wild Horse.
But careful, first be sure this point have immigration services, bcz it can be a very small point.
U have to go to american side, tell them u need to go back to Canada for a doc issue. They are very familiar to these situations. Will tell u what to do to go back. ( Go on foot, it dont take more than 5 minutes ).
When u re-enter in Canada, go to CBSA office and tell them u need to remove the conditions on wp. U have to wait a little, depending how busy they are.
All this above is to flagpole to the border.
But dont forget the medicals.
From Bonyville , the nearest point is Lloydminster. Book apointment there.

CdnwifeUSwife

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Peterborough
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
08-02-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2018
Med's Request
15-06-2018
Med's Done....
29-06-2018
LANDED..........
25-10-2018
To remove conditions u have to go to a border point between usa and canada.
Your nearst seem to be Wild Horse.
But careful, first be sure this point have immigration services, bcz it can be a very small point.
U have to go to american side, tell them u need to go back to Canada for a doc issue. They are very familiar to these situations. Will tell u what to do to go back. ( Go on foot, it dont take more than 5 minutes ).
When u re-enter in Canada, go to CBSA office and tell them u need to remove the conditions on wp. U have to wait a little, depending how busy they are.
All this above is to flagpole to the border.
But dont forget the medicals.
From Bonyville , the nearest point is Lloydminster. Book apointment there.
What’s the nearest one from Toronto, Ontario? Do I google for “immigration services at the border” to ensure which one?

Thronion Alb

Star Member
Jan 7, 2018
What’s the nearest one from Toronto, Ontario? Do I google for “immigration services at the border” to ensure which one?
May be near Niagara falls. I dont know.
U have to see the map.
No, that should not be googled.
Its CBSA office at the border.
Look for the highway that goes in America.

CdnwifeUSwife

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Peterborough
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
08-02-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2018
Med's Request
15-06-2018
Med's Done....
29-06-2018
LANDED..........
25-10-2018
May be near Niagara falls. I dont know.
U have to see the map.
No, that should not be googled.
Its CBSA office at the border.
Look for the highway that goes in America.
I googled and found a map of all CSBA offices across Ontario. Closest one for me is at Niagara Falls / Fort Erie border. I'll call there to ensure they do this type of service before we head there. Thanks.

CdnwifeUSwife

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Peterborough
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
08-02-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2018
Med's Request
15-06-2018
Med's Done....
29-06-2018
LANDED..........
25-10-2018
Do not forget medicals. When u do them they give u a piece of paper with a code called IME. That code/ number helps the officer to make any change.
Thank for this tip. I’ve made notes in my book.

CdnwifeUSwife

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Peterborough
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
08-02-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2018
Med's Request
15-06-2018
Med's Done....
29-06-2018
LANDED..........
25-10-2018
Any updates what happened in your case?
It went very well and smoothly at the Niagara Falls border. We brought all the necessary documents (medical, work permit and passport). Didn’t pay for the fee again. Got my wife’s OWP restrictions lifted.

Nov 29, 2018
It went very well and smoothly at the Niagara Falls border. We brought all the necessary documents (medical, work permit and passport). Didn’t pay for the fee again. Got my wife’s OWP restrictions lifted.
Great news, so you went to the Niagra one?
Also what did you tell them as I'm not sure what to say ..