+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification about Lost passport

THS

Jan 3, 2021
Hi All
I need one clarification, My wife passport was lost and she got new passport but after few months, She found her passport. Now question is for citizenship application, she need to submit photocopies of both passports or only latest passport copy. In latest passport, it is mentioned that previous passport is lost. Any one faced same situation, please advise.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi All
I need one clarification, My wife passport was lost and she got new passport but after few months, She found her passport. Now question is for citizenship application, she need to submit photocopies of both passports or only latest passport copy. In latest passport, it is mentioned that previous passport is lost. Any one faced same situation, please advise.
This is a one-off situation. Generally, you CANNOT be holding 2 valid passports at the same time so I would recommend that you contact the embassy / consulate of your country and return the "deemed lost" passport.

Also, IMO, you should not be submitting the details of your "lost passport" anywhere. That passport has been deemed lost so return it and when corresponding with IRCC (and this is only my opinion), you will only provide the details of your current passport.

Anyone else who was/is in a similar situation can weigh in here.

THS

Jan 3, 2021
This is a one-off situation. Generally, you CANNOT be holding 2 valid passports at the same time so I would recommend that you contact the embassy / consulate of your country and return the "deemed lost" passport.

Also, IMO, you should not be submitting the details of your "lost passport" anywhere. That passport has been deemed lost so return it and when corresponding with IRCC (and this is only my opinion), you will only provide the details of your current passport.

Sorry of late response, Actually I was not available for long time.
For my wife case mentioned above, earlier I could not explain completely. So I am writing down in details, I will be thankful If you can read below details completely and if you can provide me your valuable advice please.
My wife is PR and her passport was lost during visiting back home in 2018,validity of passport was 2015-2020 . Police report of was done and new passport was issued in 2018,and after that she came back to Canada. But In 2021,the lost passport was found in home from children books. Passport authority was informed bout finding the lost passport. They informed that since it is already expired in 2020, So no need to surrender or to take any action. Since 2018, She is using new passport and there was no any misuse of lost passport as it found in home itself. Now she has completed 3 years of residency requirements for applying citizenship.
Question: At the time of applying for citizenship, she need to attach photocopies of both current and expired(lost) passport since both passports were used during eligibility period (2016-2021) of applying for citizenship application. Does she still need to mention in citizenship application about lost and found of expired passport or no need to mention as she has both passports in possession. please advise if some gone through similar situation.

Thanks for providing your feedback, but my wife passport is already expired which was lost. Below I have explanation it again.
My wife is PR and her passport was lost during back home visit in 2018,validity of passport was 2015-2020 . Police report of was done and new passport was issued in 2018. But In 2021,the lost passport was found from children books. Passport authority was informed bout finding the lost passport. They informed her that since it is already expired in 2020, So no need to take any action. She is using new passport since 2018 and there was no any misuse of lost passport as it found in home itself. Now she has completed 3 years of residency requirements and will be applying for citizenship.
Question: At the time of applying for citizenship, she need to attach photocopies of both current and expired(lost) passport since she has both passports and both were used during eligibility period (old passport 2015-2018 and new passport 2018-2021). Does she still need to mention in citizenship application about lost and found of expired passport or no need to mention as she has both passports in possession. My understanding is that she dont need to mention about lost&found details. Please provide your valuable advice.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Sorry of late response, Actually I was not available for long time.
For my wife case mentioned above, earlier I could not explain completely. So I am writing down in details, I will be thankful If you can read below details completely and if you can provide me your valuable advice please.
My wife is PR and her passport was lost during visiting back home in 2018,validity of passport was 2015-2020 . Police report of was done and new passport was issued in 2018,and after that she came back to Canada. But In 2021,the lost passport was found in home from children books. Passport authority was informed bout finding the lost passport. They informed that since it is already expired in 2020, So no need to surrender or to take any action. Since 2018, She is using new passport and there was no any misuse of lost passport as it found in home itself. Now she has completed 3 years of residency requirements for applying citizenship.
Question: At the time of applying for citizenship, she need to attach photocopies of both current and expired(lost) passport since both passports were used during eligibility period (2016-2021) of applying for citizenship application. Does she still need to mention in citizenship application about lost and found of expired passport or no need to mention as she has both passports in possession. please advise if some gone through similar situation.

Thanks for providing your feedback, but my wife passport is already expired which was lost. Below I have explanation it again.
My wife is PR and her passport was lost during back home visit in 2018,validity of passport was 2015-2020 . Police report of was done and new passport was issued in 2018. But In 2021,the lost passport was found from children books. Passport authority was informed bout finding the lost passport. They informed her that since it is already expired in 2020, So no need to take any action. She is using new passport since 2018 and there was no any misuse of lost passport as it found in home itself. Now she has completed 3 years of residency requirements and will be applying for citizenship.
Question: At the time of applying for citizenship, she need to attach photocopies of both current and expired(lost) passport since she has both passports and both were used during eligibility period (old passport 2015-2018 and new passport 2018-2021). Does she still need to mention in citizenship application about lost and found of expired passport or no need to mention as she has both passports in possession. My understanding is that she dont need to mention about lost&found details. Please provide your valuable advice.
Well in this case, you can submit all pages of both the passports + the police report + a letter explaining your situation in detail. Explain your situation very clearly and let them know that the passport was reported lost, police investigated, new passport was issued, the "lost" passport was found and passport authorities suggested no action is required.

THS

Jan 3, 2021
Well in this case, you can submit all pages of both the passports + the police report + a letter explaining your situation in detail. Explain your situation very clearly and let them know that the passport was reported lost, police investigated, new passport was issued, the "lost" passport was found and passport authorities suggested no action is required.
Thanks for your advise,
Thanks for your response and advice, but is it really required to provide them all the "Extra detail" which i was thinking not related/required. As per my understanding, Q14 ask if you don't have passport/travel document then provide the details "Why"? Appreciate if you can further clarify further. I read on the forum that, it is better not to provide extra information until it is asked.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks for your advise,

Thanks for your response and advice, but is it really required to provide them all the "Extra detail" which i was thinking not related/required. As per my understanding, Q14 ask if you don't have passport/travel document then provide the details "Why"? Appreciate if you can further clarify further. I read on the forum that, it is better not to provide extra information until it is asked.
That's up to you to decide.

Yes, giving too much 'unnecessary' information is discouraged. However, in this case, at least in my opinion, the additional information is warranted. Decide what's best for you and proceed accordingly. Good luck!

THS

Jan 3, 2021
That's up to you to decide.

Yes, giving too much 'unnecessary' information is discouraged. However, in this case, at least in my opinion, the additional information is warranted. Decide what's best for you and proceed accordingly. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for your advice.

justanotherguy28

Star Member
Sep 28, 2021
As long as you are concise and to the point (for the agent reading it), there is no harm in providing additional information. Passport documents are standardized across the world including validity and possibly when you can renew so if an agent has a question in their mind why there is more than usual overlapping validity between the two passports, you're providing a proactive answer, that's all.

I might be wrong but anecdotally speaking, it seems like if they have any questions that need a lot of review (like the applicant inadvertently declaring 1095 days when they only have 1092 or 1090 days etc) they seem to push (at least some of) those applications to the back of the queue, so by being proactive you are trying to help them finish the review in one sitting. Is overlapping validity of passports a big concern for them? No one knows.

If I were you I'd just say this.
"I believed the passport with number XXXX with validity xxx - xxx was lost from my possession and reported it as such on xxx to the police department and the issuing authorities. A replacement passport with number xxx and validity xxxx- xxx was issued. The lost passport was later found in my own possession and I notified the issuing authorities of the same. That passport was not used for any travel after it was reported lost and had already expired by the time it was found."

If you think its useful, you could write something like this. Otherwise, you can just provide the info.

THS

Jan 3, 2021
Thanks for your detailed advise, that was actual situation and will mention in comments section. Thanks again.