+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming the 50 points for Job offer

Moe_200

Jun 17, 2019
Hi All,
I have been working for one year on a LIMA exempted postdoc position. I still have another year in my contract and need to apply under the CEC.

My question is that I need to claim the 50 point for job offer. If I get a reference letter that says ''the current job offer is still valid for one year from today, with a possible extension for a further year''

Is that enough to get the 50 points for the valid job offer?

Many thanks for all your reply.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hi All,
I have been working for one year on a LIMA exempted postdoc position. I still have another year in my contract and need to apply under the CEC.

My question is that I need to claim the 50 point for job offer. If I get a reference letter that says ''the current job offer is still valid for one year from today, with a possible extension for a further year''

Is that enough to get the 50 points for the valid job offer?

Many thanks for all your reply.
I am also postdoc claiming 50 points, which should satisfy following 3 clauses:
if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

If reference letter states that ur job will be valid for atleast a year after the PR being issued (not one year from now but from the time when u become PR), My postdoc extension is valid up to 2022, so I am good to go. Perhaps u need more than 1 yr validity from today to claim 50 points, discuss with HR and supervisor if they can provide u that statement in the letter and also ur WP should be valid by that period, like my extended WP is also valid up to 2022.

Moe_200

Jun 17, 2019
if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

If reference letter states that ur job will be valid for atleast a year after the PR being issued (not one year from now but from the time when u become PR), My postdoc extension is valid up to 2022, so I am good to go. Perhaps u need more than 1 yr validity from today to claim 50 points, discuss with HR and supervisor if they can provide u that statement in the letter and also ur WP should be valid by that period, like my extended WP is also valid up to 2022.
thanks for your reply and good luck with your application. My offer still have one more year from today and my WP as well. I will bring a letter that says we can extend this job offer for at least one year. What I understand form the Canada.com website is that you don't need your WP to be valid for the whole period, you must be :
  • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued.

Anyway, no other ways of claiming these 50 points with the current super high score! Lol.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
thanks for your reply and good luck with your application. My offer still have one more year from today and my WP as well. I will bring a letter that says we can extend this job offer for at least one year. What I understand form the Canada.com website is that you don't need your WP to be valid for the whole period, you must be :
  • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued.

Anyway, no other ways of claiming these 50 points with the current super high score! Lol.
Yes WP is not an issue as u wud b under implied status while PR is in process, I think so..important is letter that shud state extension wud b for atleast one year from the time PR wud b granted, not from today. Good Luck! And yes 50 points crucial in current scenario. My eligibility seems to be passed hence means I claimed 50 points, now bcg in process, expecting in july the golden email.

Moe_200

Jun 17, 2019
Yes WP is not an issue as u wud b under implied status while PR is in process, I think so..important is letter that shud state extension wud b for atleast one year from the time PR wud b granted, not from today. Good Luck! And yes 50 points crucial in current scenario. My eligibility seems to be passed hence means I claimed 50 points, now bcg in process, expecting in july the golden email.
Congratulations in advance!
I will try to bring that letter with the statement for at least one year after the pr granted.

Manjula222

Jul 9, 2020
Dear Moe 200 and all, I also have similar question like Moe 200.
I have been working for one year on a LIMA exempted postdoc position. I have completed one year and I still have another year in my contract.

I want to claim 50 points for job offer but I found that job offer needs to be valid for another one year from the date when I get the PR. As it takes at least 6 months to process pr application, I do not think I will be able to meet this requirement (because my work permit is going to expire by middle of next year). In my job invitation letter it is mentioned that my job can extended upto 5 years in annual basis.
Can you please let me know what happen with Moe200 application? and what opetion I have in this case? Can I still claim 50 points?

Thanks all

shayusuf247

Nov 10, 2019
I have been working for one year on a LIMA exempted postdoc position. I have completed one year and I still have another year in my contract.

I want to claim 50 points for job offer but I found that job offer needs to be valid for another one year from the date when I get the PR. As it takes at least 6 months to process pr application, I do not think I will be able to meet this requirement (because my work permit is going to expire by middle of next year). In my job invitation letter it is mentioned that my job can extended upto 5 years in annual basis.
Can you please let me know what happen with Moe200 application? and what opetion I have in this case? Can I still claim 50 points?

Thanks all
I do not think it is related to your work permit expiry date. The requirement is that the Job offer (the offer) should be valid for 1 yr from date of PR.

Rahul81

Jun 2, 2020
In in my case my company lawyers included that we have given one year extension post October 2020 in anticipation of him getting pr by that time. That contract was in February. I submitted the letter and my eligibility was approved

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

Thanks all
You cannot claim those points.

You need a letter that specifically states you are being offered a job for at least one year (or more) form the date your PR visa is issues / you become a PR.

Having a contract even if it is a 5-year, even a permanent position will not make it because those contracts by principle limited by the duration of your current WP.

Rahul81

Jun 2, 2020
Well it depends upon officer assigned like I menTIoned above with wordings as suggested by company legal it was approved but the fact was that I have been with company outside Canada for almost decade that helped me a lot , now my eligibility stands passed. There is nothing explicit which requires one year from PR to be included, it’s most likely common sense applied by the officer at their end. Some may end up being rigid but I have seen many pas through

Manjula222

Jul 9, 2020
Hello, the other thing is this job is from a quebec employer. Is it be a problem? Job offer from quebec employers is acceptable to calim 50 points?

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
I am working in NOC2174 software programmer with
- LMIA
- job offer says full time indefinite duration
- HR letter says permanent, full time position
- My initial Work permit was expired in Nov2019. It was renewed till Oct2021 by employer.
- Already have worked for same employer for 1.5years almost.

Will I get 50points even though HR letter doesn't say they will support 1year after PR etc.

Song R1763

Dec 3, 2020

Hello jojee2k6,

Could you please answer me a question? I am a postdoc and have been working for my employer for 1 year already. I just checked my WP and job offer:
1. My closed WP will be valid till Sept. 2022.
2. My job offer is valid till Sept. 2022 too.

So after working for my employer for 1 year, I still have 1 year and 9 months left on both WP and job offer.

For getting the 50 points, do I need to get a letter that specify that my employer will offer me another 1 year job after I get my PR? Or I can use my current job offer (which has 1 year and 9 months left)?

Thank you very much!