+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming Medical for other dependants

jjedm

Oct 7, 2016
Looking to know a few things about claimin medical expenses for other dependants:

- I have a mother who depends on me for financial support and lives outside Canada
- My mother came to visit and she's been here since November 2017
- I paid in Canada for prescriptions, insurance and other medical expenses

- My understanding is that I can claim medical expenses for other dependants as long as they were residents of Canada during the tax year
- My mom has been here with a Tourist Visa and the only ties she has is me and the Insurance I bought for her to come
- My mom was for 2017 only during the month of December

Can I claim the amount of medical expenses I have paid for my mom?

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Looking to know a few things about claimin medical expenses for other dependants:

- I have a mother who depends on me for financial support and lives outside Canada
- My mother came to visit and she's been here since November 2017
- I paid in Canada for prescriptions, insurance and other medical expenses

- My understanding is that I can claim medical expenses for other dependants as long as they were residents of Canada during the tax year
- My mom has been here with a Tourist Visa and the only ties she has is me and the Insurance I bought for her to come
- My mom was for 2017 only during the month of December

Can I claim the amount of medical expenses I have paid for my mom?
No. Medical expense credit is only available for your spouse and children under 18 yrs old.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Paying for routine medical expenses on insurance for emergencies are the expenses associated with having a parent stay in Canada for long periods of time.

jjedm

Oct 7, 2016
No. Medical expense credit is only available for your spouse and children under 18 yrs old.

According to this and the video https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/lines-330-331-eligible-medical-expenses-you-claim-on-your-tax-return.html

You can claim medical expenses for some other dependants other than your spouse and children as well. As long as they were residents of Canada during the tax year.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
According to this and the video https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/lines-330-331-eligible-medical-expenses-you-claim-on-your-tax-return.html

You can claim medical expenses for some other dependants other than your spouse and children as well. As long as they were residents of Canada during the tax year.
I am sorry. I stand to be corrected, your mother qualifies as your dependent. However, I doubt that you will receive any tax credit. First, your mother is on a tourist visa, she is not a resident. Second, insurance premium is not an eligible expense.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to claim medical expenses for 2017, shouldn't you do it last year

How about you phone a CRA agent to find out if you can claim your mom's expenses or not?

jjedm

Oct 7, 2016
If you want to claim medical expenses for 2017, shouldn't you do it last year

How about you phone a CRA agent to find out if you can claim your mom's expenses or not?
Absolutely. I'm talking about 2018, I noticed after your comment that I had a typo in my original post. My mom has been here since November 2018, not 2017. But it seems I can't edit my post anymore.

Thanks