+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming fof moving expenses (For tax filing)

movinouter

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Hi all!
I have just found out that tax refund is available for those who moved for work or study (moving expenses)
I moved a few times since 2016 either for work and study.
My questions are;

1. Should I have all the receipts that I have to enclose with the application form? such as transportation, lodging and food stuff as they said because it is a while ago, all I can find is the official evidence like school tuition and maybe a paycheque/T4 that I have received.

2. If I'm applicable, can I still file this type of tax now, I mean this year?
(I moved from AB to BC in 2016 and back from BC to AB in 2017 and from outside Canada back to AB in 2018 and between two places in AB in 2019)

Thanks so much!

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Moving expenses can only be claimed against income earned at the new location. For your moved from AB to BC, you can only deduct your expense from your 2016 and 2017 BC income. In order to claim the moving expense, you will need to file a amend 2016 or 2017 tax return. Same with your move from BC to AB. As for you move back to Canada, it will depend on why you were overseas. You can only claim moving expenses if you were reside aboard and continue to be a Canadian tax resident. For your move within AB, you can only claim expenses, if you moved 40 KM closer to your new job.