+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming arranged employment with employer reference letter but no new offer letter

travel2Canada

Jan 8, 2018
Currently on ICT Closed work permit ,Working in Canada from 2 years. My work permit is under renewal for another 2 years.
As per valid job offer , for CEC and ICT without LMIA, I intend to get 50 points
I have got ITA and must submit application within 50 days. My employer is not ready to give New Offer letter, but he is willing to support with a reference letter which mentions
"", Mr. xxx was working in Canada from 2 years full time ... and will likely continue on his current assignment until at least Dec 31, 2021 to make a positive contribution to Canada serving our client’s business."

Can the experts comment on my questions?

1) Would that single reference letter sufficient enough to convenience visa officer? I am explaining in the "Letter of explanation" that considering employer confirmation of end date if 31st Dec 2021, I am claiming 50 points for "have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa" ..

for the 3rd point of arranged employment requirement

if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
2) Was there any such rejections from anyone before?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Currently on ICT Closed work permit ,Working in Canada from 2 years. My work permit is under renewal for another 2 years.

What do you mean by "under renewal" - do you mean you have already applied to renew your work permit? If yes, do you have a copy of your
employer´s job offer letter for the renewal?

As per valid job offer , for CEC and ICT without LMIA, I intend to get 50 points
I have got ITA and must submit application within 50 days. My employer is not ready to give New Offer letter, but he is willing to support with a reference letter which mentions
"", Mr. xxx was working in Canada from 2 years full time ... and will likely continue on his current assignment until at least Dec 31, 2021 to make a positive contribution to Canada serving our client’s business."

1) Would that single reference letter sufficient enough to convenience visa officer? I am explaining in the "Letter of explanation" that considering employer confirmation of end date if 31st Dec 2021, I am claiming 50 points for "have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa"

It *might* be accepted, esp. if you can prove that your employer just supported a work permit renewal. But see #2 below.

Yes, of course, and many. Any time you don´t give IRCC what they ask for, you run the risk of refusal. A good letter of explanation (and alternative documentation) is your best hope, but it´s always a bit of a gamble.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

1) Would that single reference letter sufficient enough to convenience visa officer? I am explaining in the "Letter of explanation" that considering employer confirmation of end date if 31st Dec 2021, I am claiming 50 points for "have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa" ..

if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
In order to be able to claim the 50 points for Proof of Arranged Employment, you need to provide some letter in which your employer (current or prospective) states that you will be employed for at least one year starting when you become a PR.

Regarding your letter, think it should be pretty close to accomplishing that. However, I am a bit worried about the wording. "and will likely continue on his current" -> the LIKELY doesn't sound very reassuring and the officer reviewing your application might not be satisfied with it. It is hard to know beforehand.

Best way to be safe is try to get that letter worded exactly as IRCC states it "for at least 1 year once you've become a PR" --> this is because in the case your application takes over 1 year, for example (which is not that uncommon), that'd mean you'd become a PR in March-April 2021 and will only have secured employment until Dec 2021 which would be less than a year after becoming a PR.

This will most likely not be the case, but unless your letter explicitely states this, the officer might not be satisfied and you risk having your application refused if your score falls below the cut-off for your round of invitation without those 50 points you're trying to claim.

Also please note that a current contract will not satisfy this requirements, even if the contract is valid for another 3-5 years. There are many cases in this forum where people have had their PRs refused due to this.

Last edited:

travel2Canada

Jan 8, 2018
In order to be able to claim the 50 points for Proof of Arranged Employment, you need to provide some letter in which your employer (current or propective) states that you will be employed for at least one year starting when you become a PR.

Regarding your letter, think it should be pretty close to accomplishing that. However, I am a bit worried about the wording. "and will likely continue on his current" -> the LIKELY doesn't sound very reassuring and the officer reviewing your application might not be satisfied with it. It is hard to know beforehand.

Best way to be safe is try to get that letter worded exactly as IRCC states it "for at least 1 year once you've become a PR" --> this is because in the case your application takes over 1 year, for example (which is not that uncommon), that'd mean you'd become a PR in March-April 2021 and will only have secured employment until Dec 2021 which would be less than a year after becoming a PR.

This will most likely not be the case, but unless your letter explicitely states this, the officer might not be satisfied and you risk having your application refused if your score falls below the cut-off for your round of invitation without those 50 points you're trying to claim.

Also please note that a current contract will not satisfy this requirements, even if the contract is valid for another 3-5 years. There are many cases in this forum where people have had their PRs refused due to this.
Thanks for the detail explanation , yes agreed, its always risky to try with this uncertainties

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi, What date would you put on the offer letter and letter of employment? The day I submit the documents?
The day in which you received them form your employer or potential employer... They're supposed to date the documents not you. If they're dated the same as when you submit your documents I'd find that rather suspicious, wouldn't really make much sense don't you think?

harshitagulati03

Nov 10, 2017
The day in which you received them form your employer or potential employer... They're supposed to date the documents not you. If they're dated the same as when you submit your documents I'd find that rather suspicious, wouldn't really make much sense don't you think?
The thing is
I applied for my PR last year November and my company helped me with LMIA so it's for me to get invitation. I got positive LMIA last month and got PR invitation two days ago.
The question is my salary is $19/hr but when my company did LMIA for me the lawyer put $24/hr on offer letter. The truth is I'm getting paid $19/hr.
Now when I got the invitation it's asking me for an employment letter and job offer letter. I'm going to put $19/hr on employment letter because that's what I'm getting paid and it says on my pay stubs too but what about offer letter? What rate should I put and what date should be on the offer letter?
If I tell my company to give offer letter should it be today's date? And I will be getting $24/hr?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
The salary in the letter is irrelevant. The date of the letter should be the date when they give it to you. If it's today, then today's date.

bpink

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
Hello!

I am currently on PGWP and about to apply for PR on June. My question is to claim 50 points for the Offer of employment, do I need to have LMIA? or just the offer of employment will suffice? I will be completing my 1 year of employment this June and thinking I might be able to ask my employer for the offer letter. Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!

I am currently on PGWP and about to apply for PR on June. My question is to claim 50 points for the Offer of employment, do I need to have LMIA? or just the offer of employment will suffice? I will be completing my 1 year of employment this June and thinking I might be able to ask my employer for the offer letter. Thank you
LMIA

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So I need to have LMIA for claiming job offer point? even if I'm on PGWP?
Yes - that's right. You need an approved LMIA if you want the 50 points.

ashwinvsinha

Aug 12, 2020

Did you submit your application, any update?