+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Civil Union in Quebec, Spouse of a french citizen with post grad visa

mimisikuhutu

Aug 22, 2017
Hello,
here si my situation.
I am slovak girl who was one year (Working holiday visa) in Canada with my girlfriend from France who studied at University. We got civil union in Quebec, and after she finished University, she had automatic 2 years post-grad visa where she added me as her Spouse. So I got an open work permit for the same amount of time as her.
Problematic part: we kind of broke up, simply the living together is not possible anymore because of several reasons. I am currently visiting my family in Europe and my french spouse does not want me to come to Canada anymore, but I do have a job and many other obligations there. She is threatening me by the fact that my visa will not be in force anymore if she will divorce me. As far as I know, she cannot divorce me alone there.
Questions: How the union can be dissolved when only one partner is acting on it? How this can actually influence my 2 years open work permit? Can I enter the country now without any problem as far as I still do have my visa in passport for next two years?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello,
here si my situation.
I am slovak girl who was one year (Working holiday visa) in Canada with my girlfriend from France who studied at University. We got civil union in Quebec, and after she finished University, she had automatic 2 years post-grad visa where she added me as her Spouse. So I got an open work permit for the same amount of time as her.
Problematic part: we kind of broke up, simply the living together is not possible anymore because of several reasons. I am currently visiting my family in Europe and my french spouse does not want me to come to Canada anymore, but I do have a job and many other obligations there. She is threatening me by the fact that my visa will not be in force anymore if she will divorce me. As far as I know, she cannot divorce me alone there.
Questions: How the union can be dissolved when only one partner is acting on it? How this can actually influence my 2 years open work permit? Can I enter the country now without any problem as far as I still do have my visa in passport for next two years?
I thinks you don't have any problem if you come back to Canada. I suggest to talk to a immigration lawyer in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
here si my situation.
Your work permit will remain valid. You should have no issues entering Canada.

I am not familiar with the specifics of a civil union in Quebec but Canada doesn't force people to remain in unwanted legal relationships. Just as a person can divorce without the consent of their spouse, I would imagine your partner could end the civil union without your consent.

sharma030119

Sep 18, 2019
Hello,
here si my situation.
Hi mimisikuhutu,

I thought you could help me because I had some doubts about civil union.
My boyfriend, who is a French citizen, has a closed work permit with his company in Montreal. I came to Canada on a study permit but currently, I'm on a visitor's visa. We have been in a relationship from the past 2 years but we were not common-law partners due to some conditions.

Options of us living and working together in Quebec are - doing a civil union and then eventually apply for an open work permit for me or apply for CSQ together and then try to get a work permit for me.

but our doubt is that - Will the civil union be accepted for an open work permit or CSQ?
- Will I be able to get a work permit after receiving our CSQ?

Please reply I'm really desperate for your help.

Thank you in advance
-Kunika