+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Civil status document

Chadyya

Feb 7, 2024
Good morning,
I am in the process of submitting all required documents for sponsoring my spouse under the family class section. My spouse is Lebanese (living in Lebanon) and I am a dual citizen of Lebanon and Canada (living in Quebec). We got married in Cyprus (civil marriage) and our certificate of marriage was stamped by the Canadian embassy and by the Lebanese embassy. We also submitted our documents so our marriage would be registered in Lebanon. However, it would take no less than 3-4 months for the marriage to be fully registered in Lebanon, and for my spouse to receive a new civil status stating that she is married to me (for now she can obtain the one that shows that she is single). When uploading the required documents to the PR portal, they asked us for the civil status of my spouse. Should we upload the one that she currently has (mentioning that she is single) along with an explanation letter of the situation? or should we wait for the marriage to be registered in Lebanon and use a civil status document that shows that my spouse is married to me?
Thanks you for the help.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good morning,
I am in the process of submitting all required documents for sponsoring my spouse under the family class section. My spouse is Lebanese (living in Lebanon) and I am a dual citizen of Lebanon and Canada (living in Quebec). We got married in Cyprus (civil marriage) and our certificate of marriage was stamped by the Canadian embassy and by the Lebanese embassy. We also submitted our documents so our marriage would be registered in Lebanon. However, it would take no less than 3-4 months for the marriage to be fully registered in Lebanon, and for my spouse to receive a new civil status stating that she is married to me (for now she can obtain the one that shows that she is single). When uploading the required documents to the PR portal, they asked us for the civil status of my spouse. Should we upload the one that she currently has (mentioning that she is single) along with an explanation letter of the situation? or should we wait for the marriage to be registered in Lebanon and use a civil status document that shows that my spouse is married to me?
Thanks you for the help.
My view is you can submit with letter of explanation, but far better to do so with evidence that you've applied to register the marriage - and keep in mind that it is possible they will ask for the final civil status evidence later in the process.