United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am creating this topic to network with Civil Engineers and Engineers in other fields to share comments, questions, doubts, recommendations, etc. with everybody out there starting this process.

As background I started to get documentation in August and I am close to get things done to apply in January. Lets share here, more than happy to help you with any question I can be of assistance!

omaus :)

kooolsaggi

Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2014
Nomination.....
05-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
04-05-2015
Med's Done....
14-05-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2015
LANDED..........
Oct 2015 (In Sha ALLAH)
Dear omaus,

Kindly count me in. M also Civil Engineer.

I have already submitted my case under current system but thinking to apply for EE as well.

Regards,

piyush123123

Dec 7, 2014
I have MS (by research) in Environmental Engineering with B.Tech in Environmental Engineering. Can anyone please tell me that I can apply in civil engineer or oceanography, geologist eligible occupation of permanent residency...

omaus25

Star Member
Nov 19, 2009
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
piyush123123 said:
I have MS (by research) in Environmental Engineering with B.Tech in Environmental Engineering. Can anyone please tell me that I can apply in civil engineer or oceanography, geologist eligible occupation of permanent residency...
What is you major?
Where are you currently?
Have you done anything at all to apply?

HOPVIOUS

Dec 4, 2014
Hi, Omaus,
I'm also Civil Engineer here. I guess there're not many civil engineers here :). Do you plan to apply for EE? Have you got any information on job hunting in Canada? Is it very difficult as other professions since you need one year Canadian experience to get your license.

omaus25

Star Member
Nov 19, 2009
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HOPVIOUS said:
Hi, Omaus,
I'm also Civil Engineer here. I guess there're not many civil engineers here :). Do you plan to apply for EE? Have you got any information on job hunting in Canada? Is it very difficult as other professions since you need one year Canadian experience to get your license.
Hello colleague, and it looks you are right, not to many civil engineers around, at least that want to participate in the thread.

I can see you have done your homework, and yes, we do need a full year of full time employment before licensing can be obtained, and please keep in mind that even after obtaining that year, we need to take a code of ethics test as well,which I have been told it is mandatory.

I have discussed this with APEGA in Alberta, I started the process of obtaining my member in training status for now, (it is easier and quicker), this way I can demonstrated that my academics are to the standards of any potential employee within our profession there. As soon as I have the opportunity of starting to work there, I plan on validating my international experience in order to obtain a foreign license first while I accomplish that one year of Canadian experience. You can see here specifically for Alberta:

http://iegatapega.ca/index.php/licenses/member-in-training/mit-license

You can call them too, they are very nice and helpful over the phone.

To answer your questions: Yes I have the intentions of applying under EE, but I am going to wait the first 2 months to see how the system works and check what needs to be done from the applicants perspective to submit a correct application, in the same time I am going to create the profile on the job bank (as requested by EE), and promote myself with potential employers. This brings me to your next question, job hunting, and here it comes down to your professional experience and your language abilities, how you handle phone interviews and how you market yourself within your personal set of skills.

In this sense let me ask you, as a Civil Engineer what type of experience you have, are you a designer or a PM, are you more of a RPR that a Staff Engineer, do you have a specialty, such as Transportation, or Municipal Engineering, Waste-water Engineering, Environmental, etc. And within this broad topics, do you have special technical skills, (this are hugely valuable for employers in Canada), as an example, are you familiar with Microstation V8, Civil 3D, Map 3D, Revit (Structural and Architectural), SAP2015, Primavera, can you do survey work, do you know how to set and operate a topo robot, total station, etc...? Here I can elaborate more, but I would like you to tell me a little bit more so I can direct you better in the job hunting process.

As a personal experience I can tell you that this job hunting process comes down to send your resume, follow up with phone calls and emails, if you have what they are looking for then you have one foot in the door, after that it becomes what I explained above combined with the willingness of the employer to go through the LMIA process.

Let me know if this helps, good luck bud!

piyush123123

Dec 7, 2014
omaus25 said:
What is you major?
Where are you currently?
Have you done anything at all to apply?
Hi Omaus,

My major is Environmental Engineering only.
Presently I am working in Kuwait with UK based MNC and I am an Indian citizen with 7 yrs of full time experience.
Until know I haven't done anything to apply.

omaus25

Star Member
Nov 19, 2009
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
piyush123123 said:
Hi Omaus,

My major is Environmental Engineering only.
Presently I am working in Kuwait with UK based MNC and I am an Indian citizen with 7 yrs of full time experience.
Until know I haven't done anything to apply.
Well, if your intentions are serious then without a doubt the first thing you need to do is to take the IELTS test and to get your ECA, I would recommend WES, they are very familiar with the process, reasonable with the price and very helpful online and over the phone. When you get this, let us know and we can take from there!

7 years of Environmental Engineering are quite a few, so without knowing the scope of your specific experience, I would say you have really good options, how old are you?

HOPVIOUS

Dec 4, 2014
omaus25 said:
Hello colleague, and it looks you are right, not to many civil engineers around, at least that want to participate in the thread.

I can see you have done your homework, and yes, we do need a full year of full time employment before licensing can be obtained, and please keep in mind that even after obtaining that year, we need to take a code of ethics test as well,which I have been told it is mandatory.

I have discussed this with APEGA in Alberta, I started the process of obtaining my member in training status for now, (it is easier and quicker), this way I can demonstrated that my academics are to the standards of any potential employee within our profession there. As soon as I have the opportunity of starting to work there, I plan on validating my international experience in order to obtain a foreign license first while I accomplish that one year of Canadian experience. You can see here specifically for Alberta:

You can call them too, they are very nice and helpful over the phone.

To answer your questions: Yes I have the intentions of applying under EE, but I am going to wait the first 2 months to see how the system works and check what needs to be done from the applicants perspective to submit a correct application, in the same time I am going to create the profile on the job bank (as requested by EE), and promote myself with potential employers. This brings me to your next question, job hunting, and here it comes down to your professional experience and your language abilities, how you handle phone interviews and how you market yourself within your personal set of skills.

In this sense let me ask you, as a Civil Engineer what type of experience you have, are you a designer or a PM, are you more of a RPR that a Staff Engineer, do you have a specialty, such as Transportation, or Municipal Engineering, Waste-water Engineering, Environmental, etc. And within this broad topics, do you have special technical skills, (this are hugely valuable for employers in Canada), as an example, are you familiar with Microstation V8, Civil 3D, Map 3D, Revit (Structural and Architectural), SAP2015, Primavera, can you do survey work, do you know how to set and operate a topo robot, total station, etc...? Here I can elaborate more, but I would like you to tell me a little bit more so I can direct you better in the job hunting process.

As a personal experience I can tell you that this job hunting process comes down to send your resume, follow up with phone calls and emails, if you have what they are looking for then you have one foot in the door, after that it becomes what I explained above combined with the willingness of the employer to go through the LMIA process.

Let me know if this helps, good luck bud!
Hi, Omaus,
Really appreciate your sharing of the information.

I'm also considering the application of a EIT however some people didn't apply for that before they get a draft job offer or something else then after one year they can apply for Peng directly. If EIT really helps in the process of job hunting, I guess we should have one, but EIT also have some limitation such as annual member fees and waiting period for a Peng.

To answer your question, I'm a consulting civil engineer focusing on geotechnical engineering and road design & construction. Some related software skills are necessary for my job such as Inroads, Microsation, AutoCAD, SlopeW, PlAXIS etc. I think I'd prefer seeking a draft job as my priority to get through the transition period.

I agree with you on the job hunting preparation from the moment on and try everything to get a offer and you will definitely be invited to apply the PR. By the way, what's your point in CSR? I'm a little bit concerned about the jobbank system. If I were a employer, I would not give a job offer to someone I have never seen before outside my country. However, in such case, you got high marks in the CSR, without a job offer or PNP, I believe you still have huge chance to be drawn as people with job offer and pnp are minority. Let's see.

Dec 10, 2014
hi omaus,

i m also civil engineer....currently working as Structural Engineer in Bangladesh....already have done ECA processing and attended in IELTS exam at 6th December....just waiting for the result 8).....i m just worried about EE.....my CSR ranking is so poor as 600 points count for the job or state nomination....also confused about the process of EE.....i hope, ur post will be helpful for us....

Mahnaz

semilolo

Jan 5, 2015
Hi guys, glad to finally see a forum about civil engineers.

I am a civil engineer based in Nigeria and I have 2 years experience. I applied for FSW in December 2014 and I have also registered for express entry.

Can anyone please suggest what I can do to boost my chances of getting a job offer so as to increase my points in the express entry pool. I am also thinking of one of the PNPs.

I have experience majorly in construction site supervision as a site engineer. I can use AutoCAD and SAP2000. However, my major is in Structural Engineering but I have not had any opportunity to work in that field, but I intend doing so in Canada if all works out well.

Thanks

civil1

Dec 26, 2014
I am also a civil engineer & we are hard to be found on the forum ;D. Submitted my profile yesterday. Got 472. See what happens....

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
You should have minimum 4 years experience with one year Canadian experience. Also we need to pass Technical and NPPE exams to get P.Eng in Canada. If we have more than 10 years experience they may waive Technical exams. Check APEGA website for more details.