+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citz & PR - both @ same time

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Applied for PR renewal while citz appln in progress (didn't know how long citz process will take, and didn't want to go out of status). No response on the PR renewal appln, what so ever (not even acknowledgement in 4 mths).

Today I sworn in for canadian citz. :) ;)

What do I do with my PR renewal appln? Can/should I cancel/suspend it? How do I do it. Can I get back the appln fee if they didn't process my appln (I'm assuming they didn't accept it since they saw my citz appln in process)

Pls advise.

Mehwish9

Star Member
Apr 2, 2009
Re: Citz & PR - both @ same time

No experience in this area, but I would suggest to send a request for cancelation and see whether there is any refund or not, they should refund the fee as you have already got your citizenship, but you never know what are they up to. So just have a try, hopefully you will get it
second suggestion is to call CIC and explain the situation n see what they suggest, sometime you can come across very nice agent n he she can help you out.
good luck.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

boltz said:
Applied for PR renewal while citz appln in progress (didn't know how long citz process will take, and didn't want to go out of status). No response on the PR renewal appln, what so ever (not even acknowledgement in 4 mths).

What do I do with my PR renewal appln? Can/should I cancel/suspend it? How do I do it. Can I get back the appln fee if they didn't process my appln (I'm assuming they didn't accept it since they saw my citz appln in process)

Pls advise.
Hi,

PR renewal is only for the PR card to be valid. It does not make you in status or out of status. You become out of status if you do not fulfill the residency obligation of 750 days in last 5 years, It is a sliding rule and you will have to maintain it every five years.

In question to whether you have to suspend the PR card renewal application only you can decide. It is your travel document in/out of the country. So if you are not planning to travel then you can abandon or withdraw your application. Problem is depending which stage your application is you may or may not get back your processing fee.

My suggestion is call CIC and ask them about your PR card renewal application status then ask them how long to process it. based on it continue or withdraw. Also you never know how long CIC will take to process your citizenship application. Do you want to be without a valid travel document until then.

Hope this helps

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015

Since you are now a citizen, your PR status is cancelled. I would presume that the PR renewal process is automatically stopped once your citizenship application was approved.
Not sure if you can get any refund of the renewal fees once processing has started.

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014

boltz said:

Pls advise.
Lol. Have a nice party... and assume PR is renewed :) (yeah call and see if you can get money back for PR)

Smile_Canada

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

chikloo said:
In question to whether you have to suspend the PR card renewal application only you can decide. It is your travel document in/out of the country. So if you are not planning to travel then you can abandon or withdraw your application. Problem is depending which stage your application is you may or may not get back your processing fee.
I don't think it is advisable to use PR to travel in/out of country after becoming Canadian, as you are no longer PR and it will be misrepresentation.

And as far i know, they usually take PR card during the Oath, so i assume your application should be automatically suspended , if not you should do it asap .

Nasimj

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

boltz said:

Pls advise.

Hi, Call CIC and advise them. The two cases are not connected.
I mailed both the applications on the same day in March, my PR went for secondary review a month after and never heard from them again. After becoming a citizen in September, I called CIC to find out what my PR status is (Out of curiosity!), the agent looked in to my file and said it's still under process and no further information at this point! I mentioned that I don't need the PR anymore and why! He updated my file and in a month I received an email saying since you are a citizen, you are not eligible for a PR card anymore therefore the case is closed! No refund though because the process had already started!

Funny though that when they process your PR, they don't look at your citizenship application but during my citizenship interview, the officer knew that I had a PR renewal application in process and all it's details!

boltz

Jul 30, 2009

Nasimj said:
boltz said:

Pls advise.

Hi, Call CIC and advise them. The two cases are not connected.
I mailed both the applications on the same day in March, my PR went for secondary review a month after and never heard from them again. After becoming a citizen in September, I called CIC to find out what my PR status is (Out of curiosity!), the agent looked in to my file and said it's still under process and no further information at this point! I mentioned that I don't need the PR anymore and why! He updated my file and in a month I received an email saying since you are a citizen, you are not eligible for a PR card anymore therefore the case is closed! No refund though because the process had already started!

Funny though that when they process your PR, they don't look at your citizenship application but during my citizenship interview, the officer knew that I had a PR renewal application in process and all it's details!
Nasimji, I was hoping you'd come in and answer - just that I wasn't sure if you are still active in here. Thx. I called cic a couple of times, it just hangs up at the end saying all agents are busy.

What number should I be calling? Is this the right number? 18882422100

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)

boltz said:
Any body?
Write a letter to CIC request Cancellation of PR renewal and ask for the refund of fee. Plus attached a copy of your Citizenship certificate to justify which you asking for Cancellation. That way your records will be updated appropriately.

Logically, once you get the Citizenship, automatically your PR renewal be discontinued and fee refunded.

Remember you'r dealing with CIC, who just smelled coffee after 6 years of slumber, they have learn to think, that 2 + 2 makes 4.... ;D ;D

TomTony

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

You lose your PR status when you become a citizen, probably they will not send the new one, if they do; yo MUST contact them immediately.