05-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
14-05-2010
Hi

Can someone please let me know which place is the best considering the cost of living, crime rate, Public school system. I am more interested in good schools.

I have a working from home job. So it doesn't matter where I work from.

I was initially thinking to settle in Mississauga or Toronto area as it will be easier for me to change job later. But the apartment rents are almost double compared to cities like Windsor, ON

People who lived in Canada. Please advise if Windsor is a good place to settle in my case. If the crime rate is too high as its near to Detroit, I will not go for that. I need some inputs from the Seniors.

Is there any other good place for me which is not too far from the US border as I need to travel to US on work purposes once in a month.

irshad2005

Feb 22, 2010
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2009
Doc's Request.
18-02-2010
AOR Received.
18-02-2010
File Transfer...
08-03-2010
google it dude.
Also wikipedia.org will give u a brief idea about all these things.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Blueridge,

With your consideration requirement, Windsor is a good choice. So are the other suburbs of ON. Yes, in these places the rentals will be much lower than the GTA. Moreover, the schooling, social-life etc. are not bad as well. Off course Toronto would bring-in the bells & whistles [including the ills] of a cosmo, but the suburbia is quiet & peaceful.

With the closer to US thing... Windsor albeit is the place to go for u. Besides Wiki, the following sites could be helpful to u:
1. http://www.citywindsor.ca/
2. http://www.visitwindsor.com/main.htm

Regards,
Qorax.

oceana

Star Member
May 12, 2009
Windsor is top of my list too. I guess it all depends on which part of the US your job will be taking you to, the closer your monthly commute point is to the Michigan/Ohio axis - the stronger the argument for you to reside in Windsor. However, if work can practically take you anywhere in the US, or would be taking you to far flung places at the other end like Cali - the argument for Windsor gets slightly weakened.

Having lived in places considered to be very slow-paced/quiet/dead for years, i am not too bothered about living in the suburbs in Ontario. One can enjoy a slightly higher quality of life, kids get good schools and its rumored that Windsor(alongside Victoria) enjoys the mildest/warmest weather in Canada. And that is big-plus!

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
Just my 2 cents.

I'd say it depends on your lifestyle and more importantly, your career/business prospects.

With the current recession, Windsor/Michigan is relatively slow. Most businesses in this axis depend on the auto market. Toronto is more diverse, same with some of Toronto surburbs. If it were me, I'd choose to settle in a Toronto surburb. Afterwards, I can explore Windsor if I am really bent on it. Also, Toronto is not far from the US border. Oakville for instance is about an hr from Buffalo.

Climate-wise, they are almost similar. Windsor is slightly down South so it's slightly 2-5 deg warmer.

Goodluck with your decisions.

SASIF

Star Member
Jul 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Windsor is a good city. Your concerns of security good schools and border crossing are all there. But compared to most of Canada it is not as scenic. If you really want a relaxed life style and want to be surrounded by natural beauty as well then St. Catherines or Niagara on the lake can suit you. These cities have border crossings too and both are not too far from Toronto.

cana14

Jan 4, 2014
SASIF said:
Windsor is a good city. Your concerns of security good schools and border crossing are all there. But compared to most of Canada it is not as scenic. If you really want a relaxed life style and want to be surrounded by natural beauty as well then St. Catherines or Niagara on the lake can suit you. These cities have border crossings too and both are not too far from Toronto.
Hello,
I am looking to move to Ontario but I do not know where? cheap, relaxed, warm...
Is St Catherines the case?
Thank you.