+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship to TN visa

faipakistan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
i have a question. i am canadian citizen and my wife is PR card holder.

My wife has 6 months left to complete 1095 days. she has moved with me to USA. So i need to know does she need to come back and complete her 6 months or can she apply based on the reason that her spouse has moved to USA.
I am in US on TN visa and my wife on TD visa.

any help or advise will be really appreciated.

RandomUser514

Mar 17, 2023
Quebec City

My wife has 6 months left to complete 1095 days. she has moved with me to USA. So i need to know does she need to come back and complete her 6 months or can she apply based on the reason that her spouse has moved to USA.

You're spamming.

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
One question:
Post accepting the job in the US (with a TN visa) and making an entry, are there restrictions on performing remote work for an extended period by physically being in Canada?

Essentially earn in USD, stay in Canada?
Pretty sure there is no issue from a Canadian immigration standpoint, but how about the US?
Does a TN visa mean that I need to be physically present in the US for most of the duration?
I know someone who did this. Worked for Disney using TN visa from Canada. Is it legal? No idea.

Jun 19, 2023
I got my TN status today but they didn’t put any stamp or any visa in the passport. Is it common? They told me to show I-94 at the border crossing. My I94 is showing TN status until 2026
Hi,

I got TN visa two weeks back, they stamped the VISA in my passport. They haven't issued a I-94 and asked me to download it from online.

Jun 19, 2023
Hi,

I got TN visa and would like to apply for State Id or Driving license in USA. Can any one who is already on TN visa can help me with this? its bit urgent.

Thank you.

unnipbvr

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Hi,

I got TN visa and would like to apply for State Id or Driving license in USA. Can any one who is already on TN visa can help me with this? its bit urgent.

Thank you.
It depends on the state you are going to be in. Most of them should have exchange programs for the DL, assuming you have a Canadian License without restrictions.

Btw, do you mind sharing how the TN process was? What job category did you apply under, documents submitted etc?

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015

No she needs to complete 1095 days in Canada. While applying for Canadian citizenship you fill the "Physical Presence Calculator" form where she needs to mention her absence ( US stay or any exit from Canada ) from Canada and that is not going to be counted towards her 1095 days. My advice will be to come back.. complete 1095 days , then apply for Canadian citizenship and then leave. Then she just needs to come back twice to give citizenship test and take oath ( Note: Even if they are online has to be attended from a Canadian location ) when they are scheduled.

Last edited:

sharadsinha

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Hi,

I got TN visa two weeks back, they stamped the VISA in my passport. They haven't issued a I-94 and asked me to download it from online.
Hi,
Is it mandatory to have i129 filed by the employer? Can we skip it and just land at the border with empoyment offer letter and other documents? i129 processing takes time and money ( for premium service ). Can it be avoided by landing directly?

unnipbvr

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Hi,
Is it mandatory to have i129 filed by the employer? Can we skip it and just land at the border with empoyment offer letter and other documents? i129 processing takes time and money ( for premium service ). Can it be avoided by landing directly?
Not mandatory for Canadian citizens, Mandatory for Mexico

unnipbvr

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
So whats the process in case i129 is not filled. what documents I need to carry to the border after get an offer from US employer?
Canadian Citizens
If you are a Canadian citizen, then you are not required to apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate.

You may establish eligibility for TN classification at the time you seek admission to the United States by presenting required documentation to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at certain CBP-designated U.S. ports of entry or at a designated pre-clearance/pre-flight inspection station. You must provide the following documentation to the CBP officer:

• Proof of Canadian citizenship;
  • Letter from your prospective employer detailing items such as the professional capacity in which you will work in the United States, the purpose of your employment, your length of stay, and your educational qualifications; and
  • Credentials evaluation (if applicable), together with any applicable fees.
https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/temporary-workers/tn-nafta-professionals

Reactions: sharadsinha

gp_2020

Oct 21, 2020
If you don't mind, how did you find a job in US, did you use any specific portal? You need a job offer for TN Visa right?
Start with indeed.com, LinkedIn. Quite a few companies are aware of TN visa for Canadians.
However, a lot of companies opened their Legal Entities in Canada to save on salaries, so they may want to keep you in Canada.

I have quite a few acquaintances who are working in the US with TN visa and live in Canada. That is the way to get US salary and afford living in here!

Aug 1, 2023
Start with indeed.com, LinkedIn. Quite a few companies are aware of TN visa for Canadians.
However, a lot of companies opened their Legal Entities in Canada to save on salaries, so they may want to keep you in Canada.

I have quite a few acquaintances who are working in the US with TN visa and live in Canada. That is the way to get US salary and afford living in here!
Thanks. That was helpful.