+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship through grandparents

hassanfahs

Dec 10, 2013
Hello,

my grandparents and uncles from my mother's side immigrated to canada in 1989 and have obtained the citizenship i believe around 1993-1994.
i there a way we can obtain the citizenship through them or through my mother then through her?

my grandfather was born in 1945 and grandmother in 1948
my mother was born in 1970, my father 1964, my sister in 1994 and myself in 1990
Any information would be appreciated

thank you for your time
regards

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

my grandparents and uncles from my mother's side immigrated to canada in 1989 and have obtained the citizenship i believe around 1993-1994.
i there a way we can obtain the citizenship through them or through my mother then through her?

my mother was born in 1970, my father 1964, my sister in 1994 and myself in 1990

thank you for your time
regards
Is your mother a Canadian citizen, if your parents immigrated to Canada in 1989 when she was 18 years old? If not, why wasn't she included in her parents PR application?

hassanfahs

Dec 10, 2013
During civil war in my country (Lebanon), all her family got visas for a year and she got it for 3 months because she was engaged.
however, they all left after after few months and during that time my mother's immigration visa got expired so stayed behind in Lebanon and didn't reapply.

So now all her family are canadian except her.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
During civil war in my country (Lebanon), all her family got visas for a year and she got it for 3 months because she was engaged.
however, they all left after after few months and during that time my mother's immigration visa got expired so stayed behind in Lebanon and didn't reapply.

So now all her family are canadian except her.
Because she married before the age of 22 (guessing since you say she was engaged and you were born in 1990) then she could not be included in her parents PR application. She can't claim citizenship through her parents and you can't claim citizenship through her. Your grandparents were not even Canadian citizens when you were born.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

thank you for your time
regards
The answer is no since your grandparents gained their citizenship after your mother was born and after you were born.

If you wish to move to Canada, you'll need to qualify for permanent residency on your own through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.

hassanfahs

Dec 10, 2013
Because she married before the age of 22 (guessing since you say she was engaged and you were born in 1990) then she could not be included in her parents PR application. She can't claim citizenship through her parents and you can't claim citizenship through her. Your grandparents were not even Canadian citizens when you were born.
thank you for your help, another question please
If they obtained it before my sister was born (ill check for exact dates of their citizenship acquisition) can my sister obtain it?
or is this a dead end since my mother can't obtain in.

can any of the above information help us to immigrated to canada at least?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
thank you for your help, another question please
If they obtained it before my sister was born (ill check for exact dates of their citizenship acquisition) can my sister obtain it?
or is this a dead end since my mother can't obtain in.

can any of the above information help us to immigrated to canada at least?
No because your mother is not eligible for citizenship so she can't "pass" it on to any of her children. As for immigration, you have to look at Canadian immigration programs. You may be eligible but given your parents ages, most likely not. In what province do your uncles/grandparents live?

hassanfahs

Dec 10, 2013
No because your mother is not eligible for citizenship so she can't "pass" it on to any of her children. As for immigration, you have to look at Canadian immigration programs. You may be eligible but given your parents ages, most likely not. In what province do your uncles/grandparents live?
they live in windsor, ontario

hassanfahs

Dec 10, 2013
The answer is no since your grandparents gained their citizenship after your mother was born and after you were born.

If you wish to move to Canada, you'll need to qualify for permanent residency on your own through an economic immigration program like Express Entry.
thank you very much for your help and time

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
they live in windsor, ontario
so for Ontario nomination programs, points aren't awarded for family members. You can count points for family members to be eligible to apply to Express Entry but your relations do not give you extra CRS points to get invited.

hassanfahs

Dec 10, 2013
so for Ontario nomination programs, points aren't awarded for family members. You can count points for family members to be eligible to apply to Express Entry but your relations do not give you extra CRS points to get invited.
Thank you very much for the assistance.
regards