+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**Citizenship through descent question **

hapanerd

Oct 16, 2014
Hey all,

Okay so here is my situation, My father was born in Windsor in 1957, he moved to the US when he was a teen i believe in the early 70's and was naturalized as a US citizen before he joined the military.
I was born in 1985 in Japan, making me a dual citizen with Japan/United States until i turned 18 (I believe i lost my japanese when I got a US Passport) Not quiet sure if you get to keep those too like other countries.

I am looking to move to Canada and live there, My father passed away last year and asking him detailed questions is obviously not going to happen, Would i be able to acquire his birth certificate from Canada in order to submit for my proof of citizenship?
also, would i qualify for urgent processing since I am in need of a SIN ?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Christie

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
hapanerd said:
Hey all,

Okay so here is my situation, My father was born in Windsor in 1957, he moved to the US when he was a teen i believe in the early 70's and was naturalized as a US citizen before he joined the military.
I was born in 1985 in Japan, making me a dual citizen with Japan/United States until i turned 18 (I believe i lost my japanese when I got a US Passport) Not quiet sure if you get to keep those too like other countries.

I am looking to move to Canada and live there, My father passed away last year and asking him detailed questions is obviously not going to happen, Would i be able to acquire his birth certificate from Canada in order to submit for my proof of citizenship?

Christie
You should be a citizen. You just need paperwork to prove that your father was a Canadian citizen when you were born.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
hapanerd said:
Hey all,

Christie
Once you can prove that your father was Canadian at time of your birth, you can apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate. Would you know what province your father was born in? You can apply online for your father's birth certificate. They would need a few details to find the birth certificate. If your father was born in Ontario for example, first, middle, last name, birth date, city of birth, your father's mother's maiden name, lot of details. You can apply for it online and have it mailed to you.

Once you have that, next step is to apply for Canadian Passport. As for applying for SIN, I would suggest that you contact the Canadian Embassy on how to get one while abroad. You can get your SIN on the spot when you apply in person in Canada. No waiting at all.

Screech339