+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Test

Humanshado

Jun 27, 2017
It seems you are perfectly content with the status quo. So why are you here arguing with people? For you it's so easy - just log off and be happy to wait forever. It makes sense for those of us who are unhappy with IRCC to make noise.

I suggest following your own signature:
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. Abraham Lincoln"
You don't need citizenship to live and enjoy life in Canada. I wonder why people are so agitated about the delay.

• Haha
Reactions: jpaulianne

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
You don't need citizenship to live and enjoy life in Canada. I wonder why people are so agitated about the delay.
I wonder why people who think there is no problem feel so agitated by people who think there is. You dont need to worry about people like me to enjoy life in Canada.

vegasIndian

Oct 15, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2014
Nomination.....
09-09-2014
AOR Received.
25-03-2015
Med's Request
03-Apr-2015
Med's Done....
17-Jul-2015
Interview........
Not Required.
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
20-Aug-2015
Yeah, so true. I am planning to apply soon, but wanted to check timelines. I can understand for people from War-torn countries or really poor countries the urgency of getting citizenship. But people who are from developing countries, don't understand their urgency. As if they will change the world by getting a passport :)

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Yeah, so true. I am planning to apply soon, but wanted to check timelines. I can understand for people from War-torn countries or really poor countries the urgency of getting citizenship. But people who are from developing countries, don't understand their urgency. As if they will change the world by getting a passport :)
It'd be nice, but:

a) It's not like I'm going anywhere anytime soon to take advantage of that sweet, sweet visa-free travel to the places I want to see. The most I can do is travel within Canada right now, which I'm already doing when time and schedule permits to enjoy my summer.
b) I already knew the process was going to be a long one, so if I had to wait 1.something years for my Express Entry Process to get here and then 3 years to meet residency requirements and actually apply, and if the process itself was taking 12 months pre-COVID (and now something like closer to 15 months)...I mean, I could wait. God knows I've waited enough to get to this point, lol.

In my case it's actually worse than just applying for citizenship too - I was supposed to be married this year, so I have to be patient for citizenship and the outland spousal application process which still needs to happen, so there's that wonderfulness.

I've been seeing a lot of pot-stirring and muck-raking in this specific forum lately, with all kinds of justification being used to agitate and 'rage against the system' - political to 'BuT mUh PaTiOs ArE oPeN', but with no plan of action, nothing - it's very easy to retain your anonymity and yell 'Viva la Revolucion!' on a forum full of frustrated, impressionable folks who are concerned about the complete opacity of the system right now, but I guess I want to see them go storm the battlements first and I'll follow along with a margarita in my hand, only if I feel like it. ;)

vegasIndian

Oct 15, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2014
Nomination.....
09-09-2014
AOR Received.
25-03-2015
Med's Request
03-Apr-2015
Med's Done....
17-Jul-2015
Interview........
Not Required.
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
20-Aug-2015
It'd be nice, but:

a) It's not like I'm going anywhere anytime soon to take advantage of that sweet, sweet visa-free travel to the places I want to see. The most I can do is travel within Canada right now, which I'm already doing when time and schedule permits to enjoy my summer.
b) I already knew the process was going to be a long one, so if I had to wait 1.something years for my Express Entry Process to get here and then 3 years to meet residency requirements and actually apply, and if the process itself was taking 12 months pre-COVID (and now something like closer to 15 months)...I mean, I could wait. God knows I've waited enough to get to this point, lol.

In my case it's actually worse than just applying for citizenship too - I was supposed to be married this year, so I have to be patient for citizenship and the outland spousal application process which still needs to happen, so there's that wonderfulness.

I've been seeing a lot of pot-stirring and muck-raking in this specific forum lately, with all kinds of justification being used to agitate and 'rage against the system' - political to 'BuT mUh PaTiOs ArE oPeN', but with no plan of action, nothing - it's very easy to retain your anonymity and yell 'Viva la Revolucion!' on a forum full of frustrated, impressionable folks who are concerned about the complete opacity of the system right now, but I guess I want to see them go storm the battlements first and I'll follow along with a margarita in my hand, only if I feel like it. ;)
I can understand being impatient about your spousal application and I know people waiting for PR being restless as there is a lot of difference between being on a Visa and being on PR. But between PR and Citizenship, especially during covid times, don't see any difference. I feel having your home country passport is much beneficial than having Canada's. Guessing you are from India, and we don't have Visa free travel right now. And if some urgency comes up during these times, and we don't hve OCI or Visa, we would be in a more stressfull times. My friend recently got virtual oath, and he is waiting for his certificate, which is 2-4 weeks, and passport application right now is via mail, 30-40 days and OCI is another story. so effectively it is delaying everything. So I believe having my home country passport is more beneficial right now.

And people are cribbing about not having virtual tests, tend to forget that there is a interview process involved as well. After the test, interview needs to happen, if the IRCC employees are not ready or don't feel safe to work, they will take it up with the Workers Compensation Board and claim they are not providing a safe environment to work. So there are more things than just expecting govt "servants" to work.

I have thought to wait for a little more time before applying. Hope things turn out well for you!!!

Reactions: Humanshado

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
And people are cribbing about not having virtual tests, tend to forget that there is a interview process involved as well. After the test, interview needs to happen, if the IRCC employees are not ready or don't feel safe to work, they will take it up with the Workers Compensation Board and claim they are not providing a safe environment to work. So there are more things than just expecting govt "servants" to work.
I don't disagree and feel the same as what you've said - I've been reading a few of these posts and there's a couple of things to note:

a) Reasonably, it should still be possible to do the interview portion of the test right now - I mean, we already have plexiglass screens up in places with much closer contact, setting up something similar in an IRCC office where the interview process can happen should be easy enough and temperature readings before entering the offices as well, as well as sign up sheets with name and contact details should be a thing too. However, at the same time, knowing this is a government-run organization, I fully expect there to be a bureaucratic pushback and delay surrounding all of this (which lines up with the current status talking point we've all received about how IRCC is waiting on clearance from Health Canada before resuming in-person tests and interviews).

b) I'm actually more alarmed about the number of people in here being dismissive about the tests themselves - yes, they are simple and they seem like an annoyance, but it's a bit insulting to see learning about the land you've struggled a bit to get to and decided to set down roots in is such a colossal burden.

Don't know about most people (nor can I speak for them), but if I flip the script and if I was a native-born person in this land, I'd be mighty cheesed about the fact that so many people took my country's history,systems and culture for granted so much that doing a small test on it, with material that was provided to them for free (and something you could order for yourself right now to read for free), was an imposition they'd complain about. This is the bare minimum any country could ask for and there's still pushback.

There's some irony that the excuse being given for speeding up the citizenship is to 'participate as soon as possible in the election process' (which is not due for a few years yet, likely well after they've received their citizenship anyway), when the entire civic structure of the government is outlined in the book they really don't want to spend any time reading. There's even more irony when folks say it's their privilege as a taxpayer to get their citizenship after having spent the bare minimum time needed to qualify, but likely don't know the first thing about the social/infrastructure programs, federal or provincial, that those taxes support.

Aa. Arv

Jul 5, 2020
They are also in same boat then. Virtual oath is going on but they are also waiting for test/interview to resume normally (In Person).
This article is for June and shows they hit a record of citizenship numbers despite covid in this year .citizenship test has resumed in australia now

supermario

Mar 9, 2018
They have no choice but to resume the test in a few months. They simply cannot leave people hanging for years. The virus ain't going nowhere and they cannot afford to have 1M+ people all queued up for citizenship tests, as the backlog is around 300k these days I believe.

robteix

Star Member
May 7, 2019
They have no choice but to resume the test in a few months. They simply cannot leave people hanging for years. The virus ain't going nowhere and they cannot afford to have 1M+ people all queued up for citizenship tests, as the backlog is around 300k these days I believe.
That's my biggest fear. Back in 2007 they faced a similar situation where the new government paused all processes for about 6 months while they came up with new rules and when it all came back they decided the backlog was too large so they returned all applications and asked people to re-apply if they still qualified under tighter rules. I was in the PR process back then and I had to re-apply the following year.

Tests were cancelled this year about a week prior to my scheduled test. It will suck if I have to go back to square one, gather updated docs, translations, and such. I sure hope they won't do that...

• Wow
Reactions: fr72