+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Test Outside Canada - Proof of travel upon return

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Hello:

I recently completed my Citizenship test outside Canada and upon informing IRCC through email, I was asked to provide proof of travel upon return to Canada and notify IRCC when I return to Canada. I have below questions regarding the same:
1. I recently received my US Green card and I am wondering if entering Canada using Canadian PR for proof of travel & Oath and returning US with US Green Card would be any problem.
2. Since I work in US now with GC, is there any specific number of days I am expected to stay in Canada?
3. If I prefer to enter Canada using land border from US, what kind of proof of travel can I send IRCC?
I can certainly consider flying into Canada for providing a boarding pass and providing the same to IRCC. But that would mean, that I travel away from the US-Canada border where I currently live and fly into Toronto!!

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Wtf - I wasn’t aware that you needed to provided proof of return to Canada? Don’t you have to merely inform them that you’re taking the test outside of Canada?

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Some ideas:
ask CBSA for an entry stamp on your passport;
apply for CBSA entry record via ATIP afterwards;
obtain US I-94 departure record;
take a photo of yourself next to some Canadian landmark (eg Niagara Falls, Canadian side) while holding that day's Canadian newspaper [totally logical proof to me but not sure if le gouvernement would like it]

1. Why would it be a problem..? What else would a PR of Canada enter Canada with and a LPR of US enter the US with, if not a PR card and Green Card respectively?

2. The same residency requirement that applies to PRs apply. One must fulfill that requirement as of the day they take the Oath.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Hello:

I recently completed my Citizenship test outside Canada and upon informing IRCC through email, I was asked to provide proof of travel upon return to Canada and notify IRCC when I return to Canada. I have below questions regarding the same:
1. I recently received my US Green card and I am wondering if entering Canada using Canadian PR for proof of travel & Oath and returning US with US Green Card would be any problem.
2. Since I work in US now with GC, is there any specific number of days I am expected to stay in Canada?
3. If I prefer to enter Canada using land border from US, what kind of proof of travel can I send IRCC?
I can certainly consider flying into Canada for providing a boarding pass and providing the same to IRCC. But that would mean, that I travel away from the US-Canada border where I currently live and fly into Toronto!!

Please advise. Thanks in advance.
This is quite an absurd requirement and isn't in line what what they say here. Perhaps the rep is just misinformed? You're not required to be physically present in Canada, except for the test (unless they give permission otherwise), interview and oath.

Why not just explain this situation thoroughly and honestly and see what they have to say? Sounds like a better plan than the bizarre response above (taking photos next to Canadian landmarks etc.)....

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Some ideas:
ask CBSA for an entry stamp on your passport;
apply for CBSA entry record via ATIP afterwards;
obtain US I-94 departure record;
take a photo of yourself next to some Canadian landmark (eg Niagara Falls, Canadian side) while holding that day's Canadian newspaper [totally logical proof to me but not sure if le gouvernement would like it]

1. Why would it be a problem..? What else would a PR of Canada enter Canada with and a LPR of US enter the US with, if not a PR card and Green Card respectively?

2. The same residency requirement that applies to PRs apply. One must fulfill that requirement as of the day they take the Oath.
Sorry, but every single line of this sounds absurd and silly and seems to have no basis at all...

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Appreciate your responses. Asking CBSA for an entry stamp appears to be a good idea if I choose to cross border by road although it might raise additional scrutiny with vehicle registrations. Another alternative is to fly in and provide them the boarding pass.

Aryefc

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Brazil
AOR Received.
05-12-2018
Wtf - I wasn’t aware that you needed to provided proof of return to Canada? Don’t you have to merely inform them that you’re taking the test outside of Canada?
Yeah that's quite weird. I did take my test outside Canada and I informed them. They did ask for my passport pages again but that was all.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Yeah that's quite weird. I did take my test outside Canada and I informed them. They did ask for my passport pages again but that was all.
Wow - you took the test back in Nov 2022 and are only seeing movement now? When did they ask for passport pages? And which is your processing office? Thanks!

Aryefc

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Brazil
AOR Received.
05-12-2018
Wow - you took the test back in Nov 2022 and are only seeing movement now? When did they ask for passport pages? And which is your processing office? Thanks!
Oh I'm almost done now, did the oath last week and am waiting for the certificate.

It took quite a while to see some movement though, I took the test in Nov 22, was asked for passport pages in January, then LPP on May 5, oath invite on 17, and oath on the 25th

nsrk

Star Member
May 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Med's Done....
14-08-2017
Appreciate your responses. Asking CBSA for an entry stamp appears to be a good idea if I choose to cross border by road although it might raise additional scrutiny with vehicle registrations. Another alternative is to fly in and provide them the boarding pass.
Can you please share your experience on how you proceeded to show the return proof and how long you stayed in Canada before coming back to States?? Thank you!

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Can you please share your experience on how you proceeded to show the return proof and how long you stayed in Canada before coming back to States?? Thank you!
I was in Canada for couple of weeks and sent them proof of return and it appears that helped. Since I crossed land border and CBSA does not provide any stamps on passport, I provided some in credit card transaction bills, statements, hotel check in and some utility bills as proof of return.

Reactions: nsrk