+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Test From Outside Canada

Oct 1, 2021
Richmond
I replied "OUTSIDE CANADA" since I am currently living outside Canada and would like to take the Canadian citizenship test OUTSIDE CANADA. After 15 minutes, I got an auto reply email from my Vancouver - based IRCC center as follows:
"Effectively immediately, if you are outside of Canada and you would like to take the Canadian citizenship knowledge test from outside of Canada, please contact us at DNCITVANTESTS@cic.gc.ca and indicate Outside Canada in the subject line of the email and provide your name, application number and the start and end date for your online test in the text of your email. Someone from our team will contact you with the next steps."

Not sure if there will be someone from IRCC contacting me next steps or I just go ahead and take the test without their reply.

Also, there email and reply and CIC website instruction is not quite consistent. From email, they said put "Outside Canada" in the subject line, whilst from website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html) indicating us to put "Outside Canada - Citizenship Test" in the subject line.

Any body here taking the test from OUTSIDE CANADA and get further instruction toward citizenship/taking oath? Please share

Any body here learns from someone else who took the test OUTSIDE CANADA and then TOOK OATH also from OUTSIDE CANADA??? Constitutionally speaking, taking oath must be inside Canada, I believe. Please help community.

Oct 1, 2021
Richmond
You dont wait for them to respond.
Test link is open to all and you can attend the test. Informing them is enough but as you need to anyway wait for the exam since you need to prepare. So prepare for the exam and you would get reply within a week.
Depending on the location, they take from 1 day to 7 days to respond. Again, you dont need their reply hence just focus on studying.
Whether you get email or not from them, give your exam in 3 weeks for sure.
As you just advised, we should go ahead to take the citizenship test once we reply "OUTSIDE CANADA" to IRCC and there is no need to wait for someone specifically from IRCC to guide us , right? I think that is a very proactive and right approach. But no one here can testify thing like the links to the test for people inside and outside Canada are the same. Please share your opinion. Thanks

niazche

Jul 14, 2017
I replied "OUTSIDE CANADA" since I am currently living outside Canada and would like to take the Canadian citizenship test OUTSIDE CANADA. After 15 minutes, I got an auto reply email from my Vancouver - based IRCC center as follows:
"Effectively immediately, if you are outside of Canada and you would like to take the Canadian citizenship knowledge test from outside of Canada, please contact us at DNCITVANTESTS@cic.gc.ca and indicate Outside Canada in the subject line of the email and provide your name, application number and the start and end date for your online test in the text of your email. Someone from our team will contact you with the next steps."

Not sure if there will be someone from IRCC contacting me next steps or I just go ahead and take the test without their reply.

Also, there email and reply and CIC website instruction is not quite consistent. From email, they said put "Outside Canada" in the subject line, whilst from website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html) indicating us to put "Outside Canada - Citizenship Test" in the subject line.

Any body here taking the test from OUTSIDE CANADA and get further instruction toward citizenship/taking oath? Please share

Any body here learns from someone else who took the test OUTSIDE CANADA and then TOOK OATH also from OUTSIDE CANADA??? Constitutionally speaking, taking oath must be inside Canada, I believe. Please help community.
I took the test from the USA. I sent an email to my local IRCC office putting "Outside Canada" in the subject line, as instructed in the pdf. Within two business days, my local IRCC office gave me the green signal to take the test. I believe it will be wise to wait for their reply. If you don't hear back from them, you can take the test, maybe in the third week of the test window. Also, please check if you can actually log in to the test portal. Because when I tried it for the first time, I found the link broken and had to email technical service to fix that.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021
Richmond
I took the test from the USA. I sent an email to my local IRCC office putting "Outside Canada" in the subject line, as instructed in the pdf. Within two business days, my local IRCC office gave me the green signal to take the test. I believe it will be wise to wait for their reply. If you don't hear back from them, you can take the test, maybe in the third week of the test window. Also, please check if you can actually log in to the test portal. Because when I tried it for the first time, I found the link broken and had to email technical service to fix that.
Sure !!! Thanks for your info. I will double check the test link and at the same time give some days for IRCC reply. Have you approached the "Take an oath" step? Thanks

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
You can test the link right now. First page and second page wont lead you to the test. So you can always login from your country right now too.

Link is open to all. many have confirmed from multiple continents. So its not a problem as they are officially allowing from outside Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/access.html

Very rarely some people wont even have the test enabled hence testing login is good to do it on the first day of test date range so that you can prepare for your test with little more peace of mind. Also try to give test 1 week before the last date so that if you have any issues in receiving actual test link(which would be in one of the test taking steps) then you will have few days to contact cic to correct it.

Oct 1, 2021
Richmond
My next step is taking oath but receiving the oath invitation will take some time.
That's right? Do you have a specific expectation of timeframe/time interval from test to take the oath? 3 months? 6 months? or even more?

And also, do you plan to take an oath from INSIDE or OUTSIDE Canada ? This question is for me to know if it is legit to take it from OUTSIDE.

Thanks you

niazche

Jul 14, 2017
That's right? Do you have a specific expectation of timeframe/time interval from test to take the oath? 3 months? 6 months? or even more?

And also, do you plan to take an oath from INSIDE or OUTSIDE Canada ? This question is for me to know if it is legit to take it from OUTSIDE.

Thanks you
I have no clue how long it may take! Experts like @harirajmohan can shed some light on that. AFAIK, we can not take oath from outside Canada. So, yes, I will surely come to Canada for taking the oath.

Oct 1, 2021
Richmond
I have no clue how long it may take! Experts like @harirajmohan can shed some light on that. AFAIK, we can not take oath from outside Canada. So, yes, I will surely come to Canada for taking the oath.
Yeah ! That is what I am thinking. Constitutionally speaking, we need to present ourselves INSIDE Canada for taking an oath. It is a proud day for each individual to participate it no matter it is online based or else. Btw, I just got a green light from IRCC to allow me taking the test OUTSIDE. Thanks buddy

niazche

Jul 14, 2017
Yeah ! That is what I am thinking. Constitutionally speaking, we need to present ourselves INSIDE Canada for taking an oath. It is a proud day for each individual to participate it no matter it is online based or else. Btw, I just got a green light from IRCC to allow me taking the test OUTSIDE. Thanks buddy
Good luck with the test!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
They wont allow anytime soon. They didnt even allow during peak pandemic hence no chance for now. So lets all plan to enter Canada for Interview and oath.

Reactions: niazche
Oct 1, 2021
Richmond
They wont allow anytime soon. They didnt even allow during peak pandemic hence no chance for now. So lets all plan to enter Canada for Interview and oath.
Yeah ! I don't expect my profile to be processed soon after the knowledge test. It takes time. That's a part of the process. I accept it :) But do you have any idea of how long from the time we complete and pass the knowledge test to the time we go to "take oath" ? Also, you mentioned interview, I thought there is no need to have an interview once we pass the knowledge test, right? And also, supposed we are still outside when they call us for oath, Do they give us some time to prepare to go back to Canada or else ? Thank you so much.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yeah ! I don't expect my profile to be processed soon after the knowledge test. It takes time. That's a part of the process. I accept it :) But do you have any idea of how long from the time we complete and pass the knowledge test to the time we go to "take oath" ? Also, you mentioned interview, I thought there is no need to have an interview once we pass the knowledge test, right? And also, supposed we are still outside when they call us for oath, Do they give us some time to prepare to go back to Canada or else ? Thank you so much.
As usual the waiting time between test and oath varies based on location and the officer at that location. Too much difference between locations and officers hence its highly unpredictable.

I just mentioned interview in terms of necessity to be inside the country to attend interview(same like oath). Yes, its not mandatory but some gets called for.

We can postpone the oath if we are outside at that time and will need to wait for next turn which will take months.

• Wow
Reactions: BogusApplicant

etcoflife

Jan 12, 2017
Got a test invite. But due to family reasons I am outside Canada. Is there an email to reply them back? Or respond to the same email from where the test invite came?

Karo10

Oct 5, 2021
Hi
I got test invite but on the email there is no mention of outside canada can i still send them email and do the test outside?
Thanks guys