+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Test From Outside Canada

theurn15

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
Hi all,
I took my test on 5th Aug from outside Canada. Got passport pages request on 10th which I submitted on 15th. No update after that. Test status is still in progress. They mentioned nothing about adding absence. Just wandering if they are still working on my file or not. Please let me know if anyone has any idea. Thanks
it seems they are using "outside Canada" to add absence! Why do you think they requested the passport pages? it is for adding absence.

thegreatest

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys, please help!

My citizenship application is at Montreal office. I am Outside Canada

Test Invitation: 1/Sep/2021

Test Window: 3/Sep/2021 to 23/Sep/2021

As explained by the invitation, I sent a message to ask for the test Outside Canada: 1/Sep/2021

I also sent a reminder at: 2/Sep/2021

No answer yet!!!!!!!!!!!!

What to do? Go for the test or wait them to reply………….
I had the same exact test dates with invitation on Sep 1st, and dates between the 3rd and the 23rd to write it. I sent an email with SUBJECT: OUTSIDE CANADA - APPLICATION NUMBER, and message in the body telling them I am not in the country to write it.

They asked me to proceed and write my test, so I just finished mine about 30 minutes ago.

NOTE: This was my 2nd invite to write since mid-March as I am stuck in India due to flight ban.

Write your test location an email (Vancity for me), and see what they say. Good luck!

theurn15

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
I had the same exact test dates with invitation on Sep 1st, and dates between the 3rd and the 23rd to write it. I sent an email with SUBJECT: OUTSIDE CANADA - APPLICATION NUMBER, and message in the body telling them I am not in the country to write it.

They asked me to proceed and write my test, so I just finished mine about 30 minutes ago.

NOTE: This was my 2nd invite to write since mid-March as I am stuck in India due to flight ban.

Write your test location an email (Vancity for me), and see what they say. Good luck!
Hi
Montreal Office replied with the following:
An absence of Canada has been added to your file. Please send us proof of your departure from Canada at your earliest convenience.

Please send us a copy of your plane ticket, boarding pass and passport entry stamp after your return to Canada.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
it seems they are using "outside Canada" to add absence! Why do you think they requested the passport pages? it is for adding absence.
Thats for processing the application on verifying entry-exit dates with your physical presence calculator. Its not for adding absence.
Some people(inside candidates too) get asked for passport pages, not all.

theurn15

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
Thats for processing the application on verifying entry-exit dates with your physical presence calculator. Its not for adding absence.
Some people(inside candidates too) get asked for passport pages, not all.
Every day you spent outside Canada is an absence:

Calculating physical presence for applications received on or after October 11, 2017
For applications received on or after October 11, 2017, under paragraph 5(1)(c)(i) of the Act, the applicant must have accumulated at least 1095 days of physical presence in Canada within the five years immediately preceding the date the applicant signed the application.
  • The calculation of physical presence cannot go beyond the five-year period before the date of application.
  • Each day of physical presence in Canada as a permanent resident counts as one day.
  • Each day of physical presence in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident, counts as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days credit towards physical presence.
  • February 29 (leap day) is counted in either presence or absence.
  • Absences will be calculated only for days where an applicant spent no time at all in Canada. Dates where an applicant left Canada, or returned to Canada will not be counted as an absence since the applicant was physically present in Canada for a portion of both days.
  • Time spent serving a sentence and absences must be subtracted from the total number of days of physical presence during the five-year period.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence.html

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi all,
I took my test on 5th Aug from outside Canada. Got passport pages request on 10th which I submitted on 15th. No update after that. Test status is still in progress. They mentioned nothing about adding absence. Just wandering if they are still working on my file or not. Please let me know if anyone has any idea. Thanks
1. it seems they are using "outside Canada" to add absence!
2. Why do you think they requested the passport pages? it is for adding absence.
Calculating physical presence for applications received on or after October 11, 2017
For applications received on or after October 11, 2017, under paragraph 5(1)(c)(i) of the Act, the applicant must have accumulated at least 1095 days of physical presence in Canada within the five years immediately preceding the date the applicant signed the application.
  • The calculation of physical presence cannot go beyond the five-year period before the date of application.
  • Each day of physical presence in Canada as a permanent resident counts as one day.
  • Each day of physical presence in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident, counts as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days credit towards physical presence.
  • February 29 (leap day) is counted in either presence or absence.
  • Absences will be calculated only for days where an applicant spent no time at all in Canada. Dates where an applicant left Canada, or returned to Canada will not be counted as an absence since the applicant was physically present in Canada for a portion of both days.
  • Time spent serving a sentence and absences must be subtracted from the total number of days of physical presence during the five-year period.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence.html
Why are you simply copy pasting content without telling what you are trying to say.

Again, passport page request is not for adding absence to the file(as you mentioned in #2). Its for verifying your entry exit stamps(if any available). its for verifying your physical presence days you submitted.
Both are 2 different things. Dont get confused between calculating/verifying residence days eligibility vs adding absence to your file in gcms/processing of your file.

Last edited:

theurn15

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
Why are you simply copy pasting content without telling what you are trying to say.

Again, passport page request is not for adding absence to the file(as you mentioned). Its for verifying your entry exit stamps(if any available).
Both are 2 different things. Dont get confused between calculating/verifying residence days eligibility vs adding absence to your file in gcms/processing of your file.
Hello,
I've seen it every where, CIC defines an absence as spending days outside Canada. I haven't seen any other reference for absence.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hello,
I've seen it every where, CIC defines an absence as spending days outside Canada. I haven't seen any other reference for absence.
Few things:
1. CIC requests all passport pages during the eligibility period to verify the entry exit which would match with same entry exit mentioned in physical presence calculator submitted in the application. This is part of eligibility verification.
2. When candidate informs cic saying one needs to attend test, some offices are added absence to the file processing. This absence is nothing to do with absence on physical presence calculator. Some officers use this absence to suspend file processing of the citizenship application(which is nothing but the file will be put on hold till applicant returns to canada).
Absence in physical presence is part of your eligibility. Absence addition on file processing is the period of candidate's unavailability in Canada while file is being processed.
3. For the candidates' (whoever's) file is updated with above absence, will need to send the proof that they are back to the country so that the absence on file is removed.

acs123 received passport page request for #1, not for #2.

theurn15

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
Few things:
1. CIC requests all passport pages during the eligibility period to verify the entry exit which would match with same entry exit mentioned in physical presence calculator submitted in the application. This is part of eligibility verification.
2. When candidate informs cic saying one needs to attend test, some offices are added absence to the file processing. This absence is nothing to do with absence on physical presence calculator. Some officers use this absence to suspend file processing of the citizenship application(which is nothing but the file will be put on hold till applicant returns to canada).
Absence in physical presence is part of your eligibility. Absence addition on file processing is the period of candidate's unavailability in Canada while file is being processed.
3. For the candidates' (whoever's) file is updated with above absence, will need to send the proof that they are back to the country so that the absence on file is removed.

acs123 received passport page request for #1, not for #2.
Thankyou but there is no reference for this. its a hypothesis

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thankyou but there is no reference for this. its a hypothesis
Look into your gcms file. There will be absence date filled. This looks hypothesis if you dont know about gcms or never seen one.
Passport page requests are received by residents and non-residents because its nothing to do with adding absence to the file processing. Passports are usually verified on entry exit while pre-pandemic interview but nowadays post-pandemic they are avoiding the interview just by asking all pages of passport. This will look hypothesis if one doesnt know that residents too are getting the same request.

Both dont have links to prove because cic dont publish the way they process the application.

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
where is the reference? I've asked four three GCMC files during PR application.
You are confusing two things. When you sign your application, your provide the physical presence calculation which calculates your "absences" from Canada in the 5 years preceding the day you sign the application. See https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-29/section-5.html?wbdisable=true#:~:text=is a permanent,her application, and

During your application period (after submission) the officer will need to make sure you are still fulfilling your Physical presence requirement for you Permanent Residence. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html#:~:text=You can leave Canada after we receive your application as long as you: and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html#:~:text=Time Lived in Canada

CBSA already knows when you have left then returned to Canada since June 2020: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/entry-exit.html#available

theurn15

Star Member
Feb 3, 2016
You are confusing two things. When you sign your application, your provide the physical presence calculation which calculates your "absences" from Canada in the 5 years preceding the day you sign the application. See https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-29/section-5.html?wbdisable=true#:~:text=is a permanent,her application, and

During your application period (after submission) the officer will need to make sure you are still fulfilling your Physical presence requirement for you Permanent Residence. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html#:~:text=You can leave Canada after we receive your application as long as you: and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html#:~:text=Time Lived in Canada

CBSA already knows when you have left then returned to Canada since June 2020: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/entry-exit.html#available
I would agree with this view as it makes sense. Accordingly, this mans they cannot freeze your citizenship application if you are you are still fulfilling your Physical presence requirement for you Permanent Residence. right?