+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Test From Outside Canada

nimar_023

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
My experience with taking test outside, I got an email to take the test while I was outside country. Test date was scheduled Apr 22 - May 12.

Apr 19 - Email invite and replied to email I'm "outside country"
(no response from IRCC)
May 7 - Took the online test
May 17 - Marked as complete on application status
May 24 - Got an email they scheduled interview on Microsoft teams for June 7
May 31 - IRCC agent replied to the "outside country" email asking when I'm returning to Canada and flight itinerary

My return flight is on June 4 and will be back in canada before my scheduled interview.
Did the system ask you if you were inside Canada, when you were taking the test?

anaqi

Star Member
Jun 2, 2016
Thank you. I see they asked for additional Physical Presence doc from you. What docs did they ask for?
An entry/exit transaction report issued by the Qatar government. Something very specific to Gulf residents, it’s a very rare ask only a very small number of applicants with ties to the gulf are asked for this

Reactions: nimar_023

kingfaisal

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Hey Folks,

I am in a similar (Outside Canada) situation, applied online in March 2022, AOR in April 2022, got my BG Completed on October 25, 2022 and received test invitation on October 27, 2022 (Window: Oct 31 - Nov 21, 2022).

I passed my test from Outside Canada on November 1, 2022 and until now my online tracker is still showing test in progress / 'waiting on you'.

What do you think would happen in our situation? Any idea?

I am so stressed not knowing what will happen next. Some people here in this forum mentioned that my file will be put on hold until I return back. Please advise what should I do next.

Appreciate your feedback on this.

aiw

Jun 12, 2015
Hey Folks,

I am in a similar (Outside Canada) situation, applied online in March 2022, AOR in April 2022, got my BG Completed on October 25, 2022 and received test invitation on October 27, 2022 (Window: Oct 31 - Nov 21, 2022).

I passed my test from Outside Canada on November 1, 2022 and until now my online tracker is still showing test in progress / 'waiting on you'.

What do you think would happen in our situation? Any idea?

I am so stressed not knowing what will happen next. Some people here in this forum mentioned that my file will be put on hold until I return back. Please advise what should I do next.

Appreciate your feedback on this.
Hi, what you are seeing is normal. It sometimes takes more than 5 days to update teh platform. Infact, it could take much longer. In my case though, it took a long time to get the date for the oath. At the time of getting the oath invitation, I was outside the country and they ended up adding me to the bottom of the list. I dont think they are going to do that by default just because you did the test from outside the country. Atleast, I dont think that was true for me.

Do expect to take some time though. It is normal, sometimes the queue is too long. Don't worry.

Reactions: kingfaisal

kingfaisal

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Hi, what you are seeing is normal. It sometimes takes more than 5 days to update teh platform. Infact, it could take much longer. In my case though, it took a long time to get the date for the oath. At the time of getting the oath invitation, I was outside the country and they ended up adding me to the bottom of the list. I dont think they are going to do that by default just because you did the test from outside the country. Atleast, I dont think that was true for me.

Do expect to take some time though. It is normal, sometimes the queue is too long. Don't worry.
Thank you so much for the feedback and sharing your experience. Wish you all the best.

Oct 18, 2015
Hi! Can I do the citizenship test outside Canada without notifying IRCC. I just don't want to go through the interview and the delays. When doing the citizenship test, is there any way IRCC will know I am outside Canada. Please let me know. Thanks!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi! Can I do the citizenship test outside Canada without notifying IRCC. I just don't want to go through the interview and the delays. When doing the citizenship test, is there any way IRCC will know I am outside Canada. Please let me know. Thanks!
Probably.

I would suggest consulting with a qualified Canadian immigration lawyer except no degree in jurisprudence is necessary, let alone license to wear a wig and robe, to recognize that making misrepresentations (including by omission) to obtain Canadian citizenship has serious downsides . . . well, at least for anyone hoping to keep Canadian status.

There are undoubtedly numerous consultants still engaged in facilitating fraud who might be willing, for a rather substantial sum, to guide or even assist in doing this. Not sure who would recommend taking that route, but it is easy to be sure the prudent will steer as clear of them as possible.

jack150

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
I've confirmed that you can:
submit application overseas (my friend)
take test overseas (myself)
take interview overseas (myself)
take oath overseas (my friend, special occasion)
Hey there, did you return to Canada between the test and interview or did you stay outside Canada the entire time? Did they still require you to show when you would be returning to Canada? Thanks!

CanadaCris1

Jul 13, 2018
Just received test invitation, followed instructions and emailed I was outside of the country sending requested info:
An hour later got a response:
Dear Applicant

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada. To proceed with the online test from your location outside Canada you can access the link in the test invitation that was previously emailed to you within the specified time period.

Important: System changes underway - When you sign in to the online test, you will need to go through a privacy notice. One of the questions will ask if you are physically present in Canada while taking the citizenship test. Though we acknowledge you may be located outside Canada, please check the box. This is necessary to complete the test until system changes can be implemented.

Good luck on your citizenship test!

Citizenship Official
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Reactions: mirzanadeem

mopjedopje101

Star Member
Dec 6, 2018
Just received test invitation, followed instructions and emailed I was outside of the country sending requested info:
An hour later got a response:
Dear Applicant

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada. To proceed with the online test from your location outside Canada you can access the link in the test invitation that was previously emailed to you within the specified time period.

Important: System changes underway - When you sign in to the online test, you will need to go through a privacy notice. One of the questions will ask if you are physically present in Canada while taking the citizenship test. Though we acknowledge you may be located outside Canada, please check the box. This is necessary to complete the test until system changes can be implemented.

Good luck on your citizenship test!

Citizenship Official
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
I did the test same as you ? Have yours changed to completed ? I’m also outside Canada