+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship test: Collective action required, or expect endless delays, years. Example of the effective lobbyng of people awaiting spousal sponsorship

zumbagirl

Mar 15, 2016
the federal departments have been back to work at a 50% level since July so I dont really understand what immigration is doing...
in my opinion they should simply cancel tests as a covid exception and move to oath in the form of an affidative/letter. Then once the situation is back to normal (in 2022 or so) they can go back to the current antiquated system (paper testing, in person oath)

these changes could likely be implemented as a simple departmental regulation changes (dont need parliament etc)!!!

SUSPEND THE REQUIREMENT FOR CITIZENSHIP TEST UNTIL THE DEPARTMENT IS ACTUALLY ABLE TO ADMINISTER THE TEST. AND USE A SIMPLE WRITTEN AFFIDATIVE IN LIEU OF LIVE OATH.

this whole mess could be cleared up in a month!

Last edited:
Reactions: bourney0

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wonder how urgent applications are being processed if test is not happening.

Reactions: Flandernss

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
I wonder how urgent applications are being processed if test is not happening.
Me too. I could not find any case where UP was explicitly or implicitly accepted and lead to a test....

Unfortunately, from what I gathered, most UP applicants are left in the dark about their UP request.

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Me too. I could not find any case where UP was explicitly or implicitly accepted and lead to a test....

Unfortunately, from what I gathered, most UP applicants are left in the dark about their UP request.
I always thought urgent = (of a state or situation) requiring immediate action or attention.

LudoZ

Nov 20, 2019
I always thought urgent = (of a state or situation) requiring immediate action or attention.
My guess is that urgent processing now just means the application will only take two years instead of more.

duckduckgoose

Star Member
Jul 4, 2020

I called and they said some people are being granted exceptions to the test but only essential workers on the front lines for Covid-19 or people who are doing work related to the fight against the virus and need citizenship for their work.

Reactions: Coco7

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
I called and they said some people are being granted exceptions to the test but only essential workers on the front lines for Covid-19 or people who are doing work related to the fight against the virus and need citizenship for their work.
Weird.... The virus should be granted citizenship then... cos it is like everything is revolving around it. Funny they told you this while repeatedly telling people, "if you think your case is urgent, you can apply for UP" and mentioning several circumstances that are not related to covid.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

skydiving

Jul 18, 2015
I wonder the computers in the service Canada can be used to do the Citizenship online testing, just like Drivers License testing...If tens of thousands of students can go back to school, finish their exams online, there is no excuse for the federal department not doing the citizenship online testing.

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
I wonder the computers in the service Canada can be used to do the Citizenship online testing, just like Drivers License testing...If tens of thousands of students can go back to school, finish their exams online, there is no excuse for the federal department not doing the citizenship online testing.
I wish they would at least address these arguments to reveal what is so difficult about resuming tests...

skydiving

Jul 18, 2015
Or just skip the citizenship test, for now, jump to the taking oath step directly. Then once this pandemic is over, whenever they feel comfortable, they can call us back to resume the test. If someone doesn't come back, give them a certain deadline, after that, still no show-up, revoke their citizenship if it is necessary.Just dont get so many people stuck here, it affects people's jobs, it affects peoples' life plans, it affects ppl's mental health as well.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Or just skip the citizenship test, for now, jump to the taking oath step directly. Then once this pandemic is over, whenever they feel comfortable, they can call us back to resume the test. If someone doesn't come back, give them a certain deadline, after that, still no show-up, revoke their citizenship if it is necessary.Just dont get so many people stuck here, it affects people's jobs, it affects peoples' life plans, it affects ppl's mental health as well.
The issue with changing the test is that I believe new laws will have to be created and voted on.
What they could do is have an oral test be done and then the oath if the person passes without having to actually change laws since an oral test is already allowed under the law.
If they can do the test and oath at the same time, then at least we get some people through the system. It won’t be as fast as before, but I guess it’s better than no movement.

kjg09

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
I took my driving knowledge test exam in SAAQ office in person last 1st week of August together with other people. There is no problem whatsoever and everything went smoothly. Its even longer test. I dont know what is IRCC's problem and why they keep delaying the citizenship test. If other govt sector can do it, why they cant do it most especially we paid a lot for this application. They just want to get paid and not doing any work.

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The issue with changing the test is that I believe new laws will have to be created and voted on.
What they could do is have an oral test be done and then the oath if the person passes without having to actually change laws since an oral test is already allowed under the law.
If they can do the test and oath at the same time, then at least we get some people through the system. It won’t be as fast as before, but I guess it’s better than no movement.
I am sure IRCC is working on it. I hope they update us all soon.

Reactions: Coco7