+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Test and Interview Concern - PLEASE HELP! IT'S NEXT WEEK!

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
Hi everyone, ;D ;D ;D ;D

I take the Citizenship test and interview on October 1st NEXT WEEK. Will I get an RQ by the Citizenship Officer? I don't have lease agreements, I paid cash to rent a room for the longest time. I know that can trigger a red flag. Also to note, I am under the "old rules", before the C-24 came into full effect during June 2015. What I do have on me in case the Citizenship Officer asks me for residency proof are the following;

-records of my dental and orthodontist procedures from my doctor
-tax forms for last 3 years
-Employment records
-Welfare letter from welfare office explaining I receive social aid welfare since my layoff
-Checklist stuff they ask for within Citizen Test / Interview letter
-Working on getting my entire Banking Records from when I first landed here up until now, the Canadian bank is working on getting that ready for me.

Also, I never left Canada once since landing March 4th, 2012. I'm from the USA. I only had one stamp as "recent" stamp, the March 4th, 2012 entry into Canada stamp in my passport. The only other stamp I ever got was way after I sent out my citizen application. August 9th, 2015 is when Canada stamped me for re-entry back into country, from my 4 day trip to see my family in New York. I applied for Citizenship April 28th, 2015. The USA border officers forgot to stamp my exit on August 6th, 2015. I have my Greyhound bus ticket stub to prove this. Anyways, I never left Canada for anything until way after I already sent out my Citizenship paperwork.

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to explain? Not sure if I was proper or coherent enough, I tend to write pretty badly without sleep.... Thanks for reading my mess! :D :D

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
You should be fine. Your last 3 years of NoA (Notice of Assessment) you got from CRA can be helpful. Don't worry about missing stamps to the USA. I had many missing stamps and it did not affect me.

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
Anthony_nyc said:
Hi everyone, ;D ;D ;D ;D

I take the Citizenship test and interview on October 1st NEXT WEEK. Will I get an RQ by the Citizenship Officer? I don't have lease agreements, I paid cash to rent a room for the longest time. I know that can trigger a red flag. Also to note, I am under the "old rules", before the C-24 came into full effect during June 2015. What I do have on me in case the Citizenship Officer asks me for residency proof are the following;

-Employment records
-Welfare letter from welfare office explaining I receive social aid welfare since my layoff
-Working on getting my entire Banking Records from when I first landed here up until now, the Canadian bank is working on getting that ready for me.

Also, I never left Canada once since landing March 4th, 2012. I'm from the USA. I only had one stamp as "recent" stamp, the March 4th, 2012 entry into Canada stamp in my passport. The only other stamp I ever got was way after I sent out my citizen application. August 9th, 2015 is when Canada stamped me for re-entry back into country, from my 4 day trip to see my family in New York. I applied for Citizenship April 28th, 2015. The USA border officers forgot to stamp my exit on August 6th, 2015. I have my Greyhound bus ticket stub to prove this. Anyways, I never left Canada for anything until way after I already sent out my Citizenship paperwork.

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to explain? Not sure if I was proper or coherent enough, I tend to write pretty badly without sleep.... Thanks for reading my mess! :D :D
Hey Anthony,

First let's take a step back, take a breath and relax. I tis a big moment and I understand you can get worked up but having it mess with your well being is not the best approach. So congratulations on getting the test date and best of luck.

Now to break down your questions down :

Will I get an RQ by the Citizenship Officer?
Honestly do not worry about the RQ issue. This has been discussed many times if they decide to give one you will get one regardless, it is hard to plan to avoid an RQ because for very straightforward cases as well people end up with RQ, be relaxed, be confident and answer the questions honestly as asked.

-Employment records
So make sure you take the required documents as well the COPR, PR card, Driver License and Health Card. Apart from the necessities this seems a good list if you get questioned explain the situation calmly as you are explaining here with the above documents as prood.

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
@ keesio - Oh wow, that's very relieving to know. Thanks! :D

@ samreentariq - You're right of course. I just get stressed badly with certain things in life. Taking that deep breath right now!

Yes, it seems the dreaded RQ is just some random thing at this point. There doesn't seem to be any logic involved with it.

I have so many different types of documents it's mind boggling, I'm drowning in papers! :p

New question just popped into my mind as I looked through my mail pieces again. Am I supposed to sign, date that "PROHIBITIONS UNDER THE CITIZENSHIP ACT" paper that comes with our Citizenship Test/Interview letter and take it with me to the Citizenship Officer on my test day? It says "CIT 0039 (05-2015) E GCMS" in the bottom left corner of the pages.

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
Anthony_nyc said:
@ keesio - Oh wow, that's very relieving to know. Thanks! :D

@ samreentariq - You're right of course. I just get stressed badly with certain things in life. Taking that deep breath right now!

Yes, it seems the dreaded RQ is just some random thing at this point. There doesn't seem to be any logic involved with it.

I have so many different types of documents it's mind boggling, I'm drowning in papers! :p

New question just popped into my mind as I looked through my mail pieces again. Am I supposed to sign, date that "PROHIBITIONS UNDER THE CITIZENSHIP ACT" paper that comes with our Citizenship Test/Interview letter and take it with me to the Citizenship Officer on my test day? It says "CIT 0039 (05-2015) E GCMS" in the bottom left corner of the pages.
I took my test on 8th Sept at Scarborough and this form was provided to me at the desk, it was blue in color. I filled it out right away and after test during interview had to hand the completed and signed form to the officer. If they are sending it out with the Test Letter then you can fill it out in advance or fill it during your interview with the officer it is up to you.

plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Anthony_nyc - I strongly recommend you taking your payslips or paystubs which is a strong proof that you were physically present and working here in Canada. And yes NOAs also help support the claim.
Also if you have your phone bill, utilities bill, credit card statements where you have the same address as mentioned in your payslips will reinforce the fact that you lived here.
During the interview, keep everything sorted you can pull the papers immediately if asked for proof

Hope this helps
Plus

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
@ samreentariq - Ok I see, thanks a lot for the clarity! ;D I was wondering what about the paper, because it's not mentioned anywhere in my instructions to bring it to the test/interview day.

@ Plus - Ah yes, paystubs, I'm not sure if I still have those individually anymore, that's a ton of biweekly paper when I used to be employed. I have those T4 papers of whatever those yearly things are they gave me, on top of my usual taxes I got done. Unfortunately I don't have a phone, or utility bills, I always paid cash month to month, renting a room with everything included in the small rent price. I did however ask my Canadian bank to print out a huge summary for my entire banking history, since I opened the bank account when I first came as a permanent resident, right up to this point in time. Just waiting on them for the papers now. Thanks for the extra input advice! ;D ;D

abemats2000

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Anthony_nyc said:
@ samreentariq - Ok I see, thanks a lot for the clarity! ;D I was wondering what about the paper, because it's not mentioned anywhere in my instructions to bring it to the test/interview day.

@ Plus - Ah yes, paystubs, I'm not sure if I still have those individually anymore, that's a ton of biweekly paper when I used to be employed. I have those T4 papers of whatever those yearly things are they gave me, on top of my usual taxes I got done. Unfortunately I don't have a phone, or utility bills, I always paid cash month to month, renting a room with everything included in the small rent price. I did however ask my Canadian bank to print out a huge summary for my entire banking history, since I opened the bank account when I first came as a permanent resident, right up to this point in time. Just waiting on them for the papers now. Thanks for the extra input advice! ;D ;D
Don't worry at all. At my test and interview, all they asked was 2 pieces of id (one with signature) and original Landing Paper and all passports. they did not ask for anything else. I had carried a whole bundle of papers. Just be relaxed and confident. Nervousness tends to make others nervous. So just be confident and answer their questions, if any, to the best of your knowledge. All the other papers that friends have mentioned above, should help you. Carry your assessment papers. All the best.

plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Yes paystubs are a pile of paperwork, but its always good to carry them. Even if you find one paystub per month for your 3 years of presence, I think it should be good enough. If you cant find any, talk to HR of your previous company.
I prefer carrying paystubs as employers wont pay you unless you be there everyday so that shows presence.
Additionally, I suggest ask HR of your previous companies to provide you with a simple letter "Employment Verification" letter verifying dates of employment and salary. Just my two cents

Anthony_nyc said:

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anthony_nyc said:
Just sign it at home and date it for the date of the test. That's what my spouse did and it was collected at check-in, before the interview. Of course, different offices may do that differently.