+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship question

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
They can stay outside Canada for as long as they wish, provided they still comply with the PR obligations (2 years in Canada out of 5).
The 1 year processing period is just indicative. It can take way less or way more.
Also, your in laws don't have to pass the test, but they still have an interview to attend. They will need to be able to fly back to Canada on short notice twice, unless (very unlikely...) they get their interview and oath invitations at the same time.
Please also make sure someone checks their snail mail in Canada : If they need to provide something additional (fingerprint request, RQ or anything), IRCC will ask for it by regular mail.

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
They can stay outside Canada for as long as they wish, provided they still comply with the PR obligations (2 years in Canada out of 5).
The 1 year processing period is just indicative. It can take way less or way more.
Also, your in laws don't have to pass the test, but they still have an interview to attend. They will need to be able to fly back to Canada on short notice twice, unless (very unlikely...) they get their interview and oath invitations at the same time.
Please also make sure someone checks their snail mail in Canada : If they need to provide something additional (fingerprint request, RQ or anything), IRCC will ask for it by regular mail.
Thanks. They decided now to stay only for 6 month after applying for citizenship.
i have another question about police certificate. Q10. in the application "Note: if you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are NOT required to provide police certificate". What exactly this mean? Who does this apply on to?

Dec 9, 2009
Eg you became PR in Aug 2016 and continuously living in Canada and applying for citizenship let say Aug 2019 and last four years means its from Aug 2015 and from Aug 2015 to Aug 2016 you were living in other Country so for this period you are not required to provide Police Certificate hope I tried to explain. Seniors please correct me if i am wrong.

Dec 9, 2009
So if you landed in Canada in 2016 and you didn't leave Canada more than 6 months after that, you don't need a police certificate.