+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Q9b - Calculating implied status

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
Hi All,

My study permit was issued till August 2015 and my PGWP was issued in November 2015. So technically, I was under implied status from August 2015 to November 2015.

Do I have to mention this implied status period when I am filling Q9b in the form?

If yes, then is it a separate line where I put it as "waiting for work permit" - under implied status?

Thanks.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Hi All,

My study permit was issued till August 2015 and my PGWP was issued in November 2015. So technically, I was under implied status from August 2015 to November 2015.

Do I have to mention this implied status period when I am filling Q9b in the form?

If yes, then is it a separate line where I put it as "waiting for work permit" - under implied status?

Thanks.
Hi, I have a similar experience. I too was on implied status waiting for my PGWP so I mentioned that in a separate line ("under implied status").
I did this to account for every month, as they are very strict about not missing days or months during the eligibility period.
I also submitted a copy of the proof of PGWP application, copy of my PGWP and study permit along with my application.

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
Hi, I have a similar experience. I too was on implied status waiting for my PGWP so I mentioned that in a separate line ("under implied status").
I did this to account for every month, as they are very strict about not missing days or months during the eligibility period.
I also submitted a copy of the proof of PGWP application, copy of my PGWP and study permit along with my application.
What is the proof of PGWP application?

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
What is the proof of PGWP application?
Also, if my study permit expiration date was on August 31, 2015 but I applied for my PGWP in June, 2015 (because I graduated in May, 2015) - then do I mention that my study permit was valid till June, 2015 because once you apply for PGWP - you come under implied status from the date you filed your application?

Can you please share how you mentioned it all step by step?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Also, if my study permit expiration date was on August 31, 2015 but I applied for my PGWP in June, 2015 (because I graduated in May, 2015) - then do I mention that my study permit was valid till June, 2015 because once you apply for PGWP - you come under implied status from the date you filed your application?

Can you please share how you mentioned it all step by step?
Exactly like you mentioned above. I put the expiration date of my study permit (July)
I put implied status from the date I applied (May) till the day before I received PGWP (October)

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
Exactly like you mentioned above. I put the expiration date of my study permit (July)
I put implied status from the date I applied (May) till the day before I received PGWP (October)
The problem is I dont know when I applied for my PGWP, it might have been end of may or first week of june in 2015. This is giving me a headache. I dont have that document with me - I applied online as well.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
The problem is I dont know when I applied for my PGWP, it might have been end of may or first week of june in 2015. This is giving me a headache. I dont have that document with me - I applied online as well.
Hmmm if you applied online through myCIC, you should’ve received an email with the subject line:
“You have a new message in your MyCIC account for application #12345678: ”

That email will have a link to the message, but the date Of that email will be the date of the application. I just checked my email from 2015 and found it. Hope this works for you.

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
Hmmm if you applied online through myCIC, you should’ve received an email with the subject line:

That email will have a link to the message, but the date Of that email will be the date of the application. I just checked my email from 2015 and found it. Hope this works for you.
I have found a PDF that says "This confirms that your application has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 1st June 2015" . Is this the date then OR date of submission will be different than date received?

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015

I have found the mail as well which is on 1st June , so I ll go with 1st June then. So, my study permit is expired on May 31st, 2015 , even though the expiry date on my paper study permit says its August 31st? My implied status starts from 1st June 2015 to one day before my work permit was in effect (in November) ? correct?

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
Also, I got my PR on 25 May 2017, so "Date your status expired" for my PGWP would be 24 May 2017 or 25 May 2017?

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
I have found the mail as well which is on 1st June , so I ll go with 1st June then. So, my study permit is expired on May 31st, 2015 , even though the expiry date on my paper study permit says its August 31st? My implied status starts from 1st June 2015 to one day before my work permit was in effect (in November) ? correct?
Also, while filling Physical Presence Calculator form , it is mentioned :

Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2014-xx-xx and 2017-xx-xx and select Add Entry. Select Calculate when you have finished listing all periods of temporary residence.

Does this mean - I don't have to put implied status here?

and there is no such category as implied status when I click the drop-down, its either worker, student, work permit holder etc. so what do I do in this case?

Sorry for asking to many questions, but this whole implied status thing has confused me. I d really appreciate if you can explain me how you have filled the calculator part?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Also, while filling Physical Presence Calculator form , it is mentioned :

Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2014-xx-xx and 2017-xx-xx and select Add Entry. Select Calculate when you have finished listing all periods of temporary residence.

Does this mean - I don't have to put implied status here?

and there is no such category as implied status when I click the drop-down, its either worker, student, work permit holder etc. so what do I do in this case?

Sorry for asking to many questions, but this whole implied status thing has confused me. I d really appreciate if you can explain me how you have filled the calculator part?
Happy to help. There is no drop down for implied status, so I put it as temporary worker. So I had two temporary worker drop downs- one for implied status and one for official PGWP time.

Study permit- from day of issue to date of expiry
Implied status - from day I applied to day I got PGWP
Temporary worker (PGWP) - from day of issue to date before I became PR.

There will be an overlap obviously between study permit expiry and implied status, but the online calculator doesn’t double count days.
You’re better off putting exact dates and attaching a cover letter explaining the situation as I did.

And your PGWP expiry date would be 24th May since the next day you had your PR.

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
Happy to help. There is no drop down for implied status, so I put it as temporary worker. So I had two temporary worker drop downs- one for implied status and one for official PGWP time.

Study permit- from day of issue to date of expiry
Implied status - from day I applied to day I got PGWP
Temporary worker (PGWP) - from day of issue to date before I became PR.

There will be an overlap obviously between study permit expiry and implied status, but the online calculator doesn’t double count days.
You’re better off putting exact dates and attaching a cover letter explaining the situation as I did.

And your PGWP expiry date would be 24th May since the next day you had your PR.
Why put two temporary worker drop downs when you can't even mention implied status on any of it? So, how would the officers know which one is implied?

You re saying I am better off putting exact dates? So, you re saying I put my study permit until August, 2015 instead of May 31st, 2015? But I filled the other form by putting the date as 31st, 2015 because I applied for PGWP on 1st June?

I am so confused now? Should I overlap the dates? Can you please elaborate?