+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Processing Times - What to expect?

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Hi All, I applied for citizenship in December 29 and they started processing in March 31 and I haven't heard from them since. My friend applied in November and she got her citizenship in May. I live in Toronto and she live in Halmiton.. does that mean there is a lot of application in Toronto than anywhere else? I am getting worried.
It means nothing, i applied 15 months, and no test invite yet. I have sent tons of emails/calls. No concrete answer. everytime it says your application is in process and we will ask if we need more information. It couldn't be more insulting. If you are a refugee you have a better chance someone will listen to you.

Flandernss

Mar 5, 2019
True that every case is different, but 12 months being the average, how long is the average to get just to DM?

Can one confirm my guess: 2 months for AOR, then more 3 months for Test, more 3 months for DM and some 4 months for Oath (total 12 months)?

Does this look the expected, average timeline?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
True that every case is different, but 12 months being the average, how long is the average to get just to DM?

Can one confirm my guess: 2 months for AOR, then more 3 months for Test, more 3 months for DM and some 4 months for Oath (total 12 months)?

Does this look the expected, average timeline?
No, it doesn't. There is no such meaningful average timeline for the specific steps. You are making the mistake of assuming that everyone goes through the same steps at about the same length. Go through this forum, there are people who had their test months ago and still have no oath invite. There are other people who waited forever for their test but then the oath happened right after. There are people who never even got "Decision made" on ECAS and still they had the oath and are now citizens, simply because the online system doesn't update. There are people who received AOR in a heartbeat but then nothing happened for months. There are people who had to wait for AOR forever but then the test happend fast.... well you get what I'm saying I assume. Mississauga, for example seems to get your to the oath quickly after the test it seems. Other offices run differently... And so on and so on.

It is unfortunately a recurring error in this forum to think that there are some specific signposts in your application timewise.

Nothing apart from the IRCC processing time of "average 12 months" is meaningful. Every other guess is just a wild guess.

Reactions: edmonds

diogosouza

Star Member
May 23, 2017
How does the test invite looks like? If I'm out of the country, will I have enough time to come back to Canada? Can the test be rescheduled?

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How does the test invite looks like? If I'm out of the country, will I have enough time to come back to Canada? Can the test be rescheduled?
CIC stopped tests in march due to covid and no one knows when they will start them again. I think you'll be fine