+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship/PR Inquiries

skwan

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen who recently got married at the beginning of 2014 in Uganda to a UGANDAN.
Here is my situation:
My girlfriend (at that time) applied for a Visitor's Visa in October 2013 and was refused - this was only an application to see how possibly strict CIC is and what they require. After we got married in January 2014, we decided to apply again and in February they responded with another refusal. We were discouraged and decided to think about what to do next. A few months later, we decided to go directly to the embassy and attempt to speak with any immigration officer in Kenya but they did not allow any of us (including myself as a Canadian citizen!) to enter. This was an advice given to us by the Ugandan Ambassador to Canada. We received some small advice from one of the local staffs at the embassy and after taking into consideration of what the staff had advised us, we applied, and once again we were refused!
Now, I am in Canada alone, whereas my wife and our child-to-be left in Uganda. I have several questions and will need your assistance in answering these questions.

Could it be that we did not register our marriage at the consulate in Kampala (Uganda) that caused the refusal (other than the reasons provided in their response)? Keep in mind I was unaware of registering our marriage since it was not performed in Canada and up to now I still have not known how I can register our marriage - if you anyone can advise me on this, please do so.

After the three refusals, I am a bit hopeless to choose to apply for a visitor's visa since at this time, I know that it will be a waste of money and also she is pregnant, baby to be due by the end of October. Is it wise to apply again or would it be a waste of money?

I've been advised to go ahead with sponsoring her and would like your help to assist me with the steps to deal with this process - my immigration lawyer seems a bit reluctant to help so I may only apply myself. Anyone with experience in this area, I would be grateful for your assistance.

Since our child will be born in October, will my wife be able to travel with us as a family to get to Canada for medical reasons?

Once our child is registered as a citizen, how long does it take for the OHIP (living in Ontario) to be given to our child?

What are the requirements for my wife if she is given the PR? As in, how long does she need to be in the country and after receiving the card, how long does she have for entering into the country?

What is required of her to become an official Canadian citizen one day?

Is the Canadian government not considered for performing an illegal action by separating my wife and I in this case?

SOME HELP PLEASE
If I can have more than one person respond, this would be helpful because I do not want to only believe one source and take the word for that source alone. :D

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is a very simple response to your inquiry/situation. You cannot apply for a visitor visa for your wife. If she's your wife and it's a genuine relationship then you need to SPONSOR her. Applying for a visitor visa makes you look suspicious....maybe it's just a fake marriage to get her to Canada. So forget about a visitor visa and start your sponsor application NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. I know someone else, a Canadian citizen who married an Africa in his country of origin. He applied for a visitor visa for her but it was refused even if he's a Canadian citizen. Visitor visa means you re not planning to live together it's just a visit, temporary marriage. Does it make sense ??

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sponsor her now.

Get your forms/guide here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

skwan

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks for the simple answer.
Really, the intent was for her to visit for only 2 or maximum 3 months since the culture is different and I want us to explore the idea of being here long term with the thoughts of her diving into a different culture. That was really the intention - not a fake marriage.

I also wanted to know about registering our marriage? Any idea of what to do about that?

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
skwan said:
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen who recently got married at the beginning of 2014 in Uganda to a UGANDAN.
Here is my situation:
My girlfriend (at that time) applied for a Visitor's Visa in October 2013 and was refused - this was only an application to see how possibly strict CIC is and what they require. After we got married in January 2014, we decided to apply again and in February they responded with another refusal. We were discouraged and decided to think about what to do next. A few months later, we decided to go directly to the embassy and attempt to speak with any immigration officer in Kenya but they did not allow any of us (including myself as a Canadian citizen!) to enter. This was an advice given to us by the Ugandan Ambassador to Canada. We received some small advice from one of the local staffs at the embassy and after taking into consideration of what the staff had advised us, we applied, and once again we were refused!
Now, I am in Canada alone, whereas my wife and our child-to-be left in Uganda. I have several questions and will need your assistance in answering these questions.

Could it be that we did not register our marriage at the consulate in Kampala (Uganda) that caused the refusal (other than the reasons provided in their response)? Keep in mind I was unaware of registering our marriage since it was not performed in Canada and up to now I still have not known how I can register our marriage - if you anyone can advise me on this, please do so.

After the three refusals, I am a bit hopeless to choose to apply for a visitor's visa since at this time, I know that it will be a waste of money and also she is pregnant, baby to be due by the end of October. Is it wise to apply again or would it be a waste of money?

I've been advised to go ahead with sponsoring her and would like your help to assist me with the steps to deal with this process - my immigration lawyer seems a bit reluctant to help so I may only apply myself. Anyone with experience in this area, I would be grateful for your assistance.

Since our child will be born in October, will my wife be able to travel with us as a family to get to Canada for medical reasons?

Once our child is registered as a citizen, how long does it take for the OHIP (living in Ontario) to be given to our child?

What are the requirements for my wife if she is given the PR? As in, how long does she need to be in the country and after receiving the card, how long does she have for entering into the country?

What is required of her to become an official Canadian citizen one day?

Is the Canadian government not considered for performing an illegal action by separating my wife and I in this case?

SOME HELP PLEASE
If I can have more than one person respond, this would be helpful because I do not want to only believe one source and take the word for that source alone. :D
1) Not likely that your wife will be able to travel since she has already been denied three times.

2) Your child will have to live in Canada for three months before s/he will be able to get OHIP. You can apply as soon as you land but will not get it for three months.

3) Your wife will have to apply for outland family sponsorship. The section on Family Sponsorship is excellent also check the CIC website for more details. Once she is approved for PR she will have to land before the date given to her which is the expiry or her passport or medicals whichever one is sooner. She will get her PR card weeks/months later.

4) She will have to be in Canada for 4 out of 6 years with a minimum of 183 days per year.

5) No you are not required to live in Canada with your wife. As bad as it sounds she wants to come here so she needs to follow the rules. You could go and live with her in Uganda instead of living in Canada.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.

skwan

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
davek1979 said:
1) Not likely that your wife will be able to travel since she has already been denied three times.

2) Your child will have to live in Canada for three months before s/he will be able to get OHIP. You can apply as soon as you land but will not get it for three months.

3) Your wife will have to apply for outland family sponsorship. The section on Family Sponsorship is excellent also check the CIC website for more details. Once she is approved for PR she will have to land before the date given to her which is the expiry or her passport or medicals whichever one is sooner. She will get her PR card weeks/months later.

4) She will have to be in Canada for 4 out of 6 years with a minimum of 183 days per year.

5) No you are not required to live in Canada with your wife. As bad as it sounds she wants to come here so she needs to follow the rules. You could go and live with her in Uganda instead of living in Canada.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.
Thanks for this information. In regards to 4 out of the 6 years, what happens if she does not meet this requirement? What happens if she does meet the requirement?
At the end of the 4 out of the 6 years, does it mean she can then apply for citizenship?

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
skwan said:
Thanks for this information. In regards to 4 out of the 6 years, what happens if she does not meet this requirement? What happens if she does meet the requirement?
At the end of the 4 out of the 6 years, does it mean she can then apply for citizenship?
Then she can't apply for citizenship, and will remain a PR as long as she meets her residency obligation. She will have to wait until she satisfies that requirement. If she meets it she can apply for citizenship.

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
skwan said:
Thanks for the simple answer.
Really, the intent was for her to visit for only 2 or maximum 3 months since the culture is different and I want us to explore the idea of being here long term with the thoughts of her diving into a different culture. That was really the intention - not a fake marriage.

I also wanted to know about registering our marriage? Any idea of what to do about that?
you don't need to register your marriage in Canada. I believe canada recognized abroad marriage certificate

skwan

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
davek1979 said:
Then she can't apply for citizenship, and will remain a PR as long as she meets her residency obligation. She will have to wait until she satisfies that requirement. If she meets it she can apply for citizenship.
GREAT TO HEAR THAT! THANKS A LOT. Ok, one final question for you in regards to PR. If her PR expires after the six years is up, what next? She'll have to renew it at the price of $1000 and we'll need to go through the process all over again?

skwan

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
Woodex said:
you don't need to register your marriage in Canada. I believe canada recognized abroad marriage certificate
Don't I need to register it at the Consulate in Uganda though?

skwan

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
Does anyone know anything about education equivalence?

My wife is studied at a well-known university in Uganda (Uganda Christian University) in Development Studies and graduated with a Bachelors of Development Studies.
Does anyone have any idea what is this equivalence to the academics in Canada?
Just wondering whether my wife will need to settle to a Wal-Mart/Dollarama/McDonalds job or will she be fine in finding a job with a non-profit organization or any organization that is in her area?

Sometimes it feels discouraging and I sympathize for those taxi drivers who studied for years in the medical world in India but when they decide to come to Canada, they can only be a taxi driver.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is some info on education equivalency: http://www.cicic.ca/en/page.aspx?sortcode=2.17

It depends a lot on your wife what she will end up doing. It is easy to get a job a Walmart but if she doesn't want that, she will have to work at getting something better. If she can't get a job with her degree, she could consider changing fields and re-training for something else.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friend, forget about education and the job your wife may or may not get in Canada. Your main concern for now should be to find a way for your wife to come to Canada. Once she's here then you can worry about jobs and education. As for registering your marriage, I don't think you need to do anything like that at a Canadian consulate. Just make sure your marriage is legal and official according to the law of the country you live in. That's it. You can go to a city hall or any other administration and ask. Your wife as a citizen of that country should know how to make a marriage official. Start taking pictures with your wife at all occasions and keep any other prove of marriage you will need them during the sponsorship process. In my first post I did not mean your marriage is fake but I was telling you what they may think at the consulate when you apply for a visitor visa.

skwan

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks a lot folks, this has been very helpful (thanks Goldline for clarifying this)

I heard that once a PR pass is given, which means she is approved of PR, she is given a number of days to enter the country, is this true? How many days are usually given?

Since our child will be a citizen by birth because of me, how long will it take for the child to be with citizenship and allow him to enter into Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
skwan said:
Thanks a lot folks, this has been very helpful (thanks Goldline for clarifying this)

I heard that once a PR pass is given, which means she is approved of PR, she is given a number of days to enter the country, is this true? How many days are usually given?

Since our child will be a citizen by birth because of me, how long will it take for the child to be with citizenship and allow him to enter into Canada?
If your child is born outside Canada, you must apply for a citizenship certificate for him which can take around 9 months. If your wife already has the PR visa by then, you can apply for a temporary passport or facilitation visa for your baby through the Canadian embassy which will allow your wife to travel with your baby to Canada.