+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship on Student visa

Bizenjo

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
Please temme the criteria to get Citizenship on Student visa, Actually i want to go for my Undergraduation and a friend of mine in Toronto told me that i have to complete a degree first to apply for work permit , It means after 4 years i could apply for Work permit and then for Citizenship , Please clarify because i have heard that rules of getting Canadian citizenship had become flexible now a days ??

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bizenjo said:
Please temme the criteria to get Citizenship on Student visa, Actually i want to go for my Undergraduation and a friend of mine in Toronto told me that i have to complete a degree first to apply for work permit , It means after 4 years i could apply for Work permit and then for Citizenship , Please clarify because i have heard that rules of getting Canadian citizenship had become flexible now a days ??
You cannot get citizenship on Student visa. Once finish your undergrad you have to leave Canada. Alternatively if you have enough points you can apply as a skilled worker class. Once you've arrived here as a landed immigrant and obtain your PR card you have to physically spend 1095 days or 3 years, once you've completed that you can apply for Canadian citizenship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to leave after undergrad. You have an option to apply for a post-graduate open work permit. If you studied for 2 or more years, you can get a post-grad work permit for 3 years. In some provinces you can apply for PR under PNP graduate class with a degree and a job offer. Otherwise, your employer may sponsor you under PNP employer driven stream. Otherwise, you can work for a year and then apply under CEC.

Once you have PR, you have to live in Canada for 2-3 years before you can apply for citizenship.

Bizenjo

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
You mean in the period of my under grad it isn't possible to get citizenship ? and after UG i have to work for some years ??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bizenjo said:
You mean in the period of my under grad it isn't possible to get citizenship ? and after UG i have to work for some years ??
You don't have to work for some years. If you can apply through PNP graduate class, you only need a job offer and probably work for that employer until you get your PR. If you apply through CEC, you have to work full time for a year after you graduate. After you get your PR, you can do what you want.

If you want to apply sooner, you have to qualify for something. Do you have another degree and work experience already? If you have experience in one of the 29 occupations listed by the skilled worker program, you can apply for PR through that right now, even if you are currently a student. You could also ditch your studies if you find an employer who will sponsor you for a work permit and apply for your PR through PNP. If you find yourself a spouse and get married, your spouse can also sponsor you for PR.

If your only angle to apply is your studies, then my original reply stands.

Also make a note that PR is not the same as citizenship. You can lose your PR again if you leave Canada for too long. To get citizenship, you have to live in Canada for 2-3 years after you get your PR and after you apply for citizenship, you probably wait about a year before you get it.

Bizenjo

Star Member
Dec 18, 2010
If i go to a college for diploma for instance 3 years diploma and then transfer to a university for UnderGraduation ,would it be possible to apply for PR after completing diploma ??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are currently programs under the PNP's of Ontario and BC that allow certain Masters and PhD students to apply for their immigration, even without a job offer. You can look into that. Apart from there, no special immigration class for people who study in Canada for 3 years.

ehsanelahi

Jul 16, 2011
Dear sir,
Hope you are fine and doing quite well. i took my ielts exam on 25 june 2011. i secured 6 bands in it. Now i intended to apply for ACCA course in LBSF (London School of Business and Finance toronto. My bank statement is $ 22200 on my name. I got Above 80% in my academic life. I did matric and F.Sc From Edwardes college peshawar estlished by English. CAn i get visa of canada. Please kindly give me some information regarding this
thanks alot
Best regardes
Ehsanelahi

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ehsanelahi said:
Dear sir,
Hope you are fine and doing quite well. i took my ielts exam on 25 june 2011. i secured 6 bands in it. Now i intended to apply for ACCA course in LBSF (London School of Business and Finance toronto. My bank statement is $ 22200 on my name. I got Above 80% in my academic life. I did matric and F.Sc From Edwardes college peshawar estlished by English. CAn i get visa of canada. Please kindly give me some information regarding this
thanks alot
Best regardes
Ehsanelahi
You should post your question to the student visa section of this forum.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/international-students-b2.0/

zendang

Jul 18, 2012
Hello there,
I am currently on Student Visa which is a 4 year program. I also have a work permit that I have worked as a part time worker at a restaurant for a few months. I am soon applying for a Co-op Permit which allows me to go on an internship program for 8 to 12 months. With my conditions, I'm wondering how difficult is it for me to apply for Citizenship or if anyone could tell me the process I need to do and complete to be able to apply for Citizenship or PR?
Thank you so much to anyone who could help me out here! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zendang said:
Hello there,
I am currently on Student Visa which is a 4 year program. I also have a work permit that I have worked as a part time worker at a restaurant for a few months. I am soon applying for a Co-op Permit which allows me to go on an internship program for 8 to 12 months. With my conditions, I'm wondering how difficult is it for me to apply for Citizenship or if anyone could tell me the process I need to do and complete to be able to apply for Citizenship or PR?
Thank you so much to anyone who could help me out here! :)
You need to get PR before you can get citizenship. You would have to look if you can qualify to apply for PR through some immigration class. Go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp and read about the different immigration classes.

zendang

Jul 18, 2012
I have read it but it confused me. I don't understand what they mean by "skilled worker or professional worker"
If I'm working for an advertising company or a television station as an intern, does it count for anything?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zendang said:
I have read it but it confused me. I don't understand what they mean by "skilled worker or professional worker"
If I'm working for an advertising company or a television station as an intern, does it count for anything?
In order to immigrate as a skilled worker, you must have a skilled job. If you are an intern, that is probably not a skilled job. A tip for you would be to look for provincial nominee programs or canadian experience class