+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship of Canada by decent

Brendo310

Sep 20, 2019
1. My father was born in Germany in 1960 and moved to Canada in 1965 with his family (all Germans)

2. In November 1970 my father and his family became full naturalized citizens of Canada (have certificate)

3. My father therefore automatically forfeited his German citizenship immediately on acquisition of Canadian citizenship

4. In 1973 my father left Canada and returned sporadically over the next 10 years

5. My father and mother (from New Zealand) acquired Australian citizenship in 1985

6. I was born in 1993 in Australia

7. My father never renounced his Canadian citizenship and my mother her New Zealand citizenship respectively. Both are dual citizens

Based on the above, I’m seeking confirmation that my father being born outside of Canada (but having been naturalized in 1970) and having spent the last 40 years residing in Australia, if it precludes me in any way from taking up citizenship be decent now?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
1. My father was born in Germany in 1960 and moved to Canada in 1965 with his family (all Germans)

2. In November 1970 my father and his family became full naturalized citizens of Canada (have certificate)

3. My father therefore automatically forfeited his German citizenship immediately on acquisition of Canadian citizenship

4. In 1973 my father left Canada and returned sporadically over the next 10 years

5. My father and mother (from New Zealand) acquired Australian citizenship in 1985

6. I was born in 1993 in Australia

7. My father never renounced his Canadian citizenship and my mother her New Zealand citizenship respectively. Both are dual citizens

Based on the above, I’m seeking confirmation that my father being born outside of Canada (but having been naturalized in 1970) and having spent the last 40 years residing in Australia, if it precludes me in any way from taking up citizenship be decent now?
No it does not. Because your father gained his Canadian citizenship through naturalization and has not renounced it, that would make you the first generation born abroad and eligible for citizenship by descent. Congratulations.

Reactions: Brendo310

Brendo310

Sep 20, 2019
Just for my understanding, had my father have renounced his Canadian citizenship, and have done so after my date of birth in 1993, this would still make me eligible?

Also, would second generation abroad; i.e: my children be Canadian citizens from birth (no offspring at present)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just for my understanding, had my father have renounced his Canadian citizenship, and have done so after my date of birth in 1993, this would still make me eligible?

Also, would second generation abroad; i.e: my children be Canadian citizens from birth (no offspring at present)
It is the status of your father at the moment of your birth that matters. Anything subsequent to that is not relevant.
Your own children do not become Canadian citizens, if also born abroad.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017

@zardoz is correct. If you want your children to be Canadian citizens, you must either give birth to them in Canada, or you must move to Canada and then sponsor them for permanent residence and then you can apply for their citizenship.

Triol80t

Sep 6, 2018
@zardoz is correct. If you want your children to be Canadian citizens, you must either give birth to them in Canada, or you must move to Canada and then sponsor them for permanent residence and then you can apply for their citizenship.

Dear Hawk, please i would like you to elaborate on how to get citizenship for children born abroad to 1

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Dear Hawk, please i would like you to elaborate on how to get citizenship for children born abroad to 1
It would depend on how when the parent got citizenship, the date of birth of the child and the status of the parent when the child is born. In terms of the OP's case, he/she is considered the first generation born abroad and is restricted by the first generation limit. So if the OP were to have any children outside of Canada, the only way for the children to be citizens would be by birth in Canada or by naturalization because descent is not an option due to the first generation limit.

In order for the OP to get his/her children naturalized, he/she could sponsor the children under the family sponsorship route; however one of the requirements for family sponsorship is that the OP needs to be living in Canada by the time the children becomes PRs. Once the children become PRs, then the OP can apply for their citizenship without them needing to meet the residency obligation.